The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Old Houses (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Old Houses
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 04:34 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
We've decided to move to an older restored home. I like them, just something about a basement and detached garage.

Here's two, whatcha guys think. Am I crazy ?
http://www.zillow.com/hom es/for_sale/Baker-City-OR/pmf,pf_pt/86287395_zpid/35184_rid/days_sort/44.805772,-117.753525,44.74338,-117.909908_rect/12_zm/

Here's the other.
http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/New-Plymouth-ID/pmf,pf_pt/96904720_zpid/46726_rid/days_sort/44.070567,-116.492844,43.817436,-117.118378_rect/10_zm/2_p/

[ May 22, 2015, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 05:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Either one seems like a lot of house for the money. Lots are on the small side. That second one, larger but it's been on the market a long time, you have to wonder why?

Good luck, El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31262 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 05:38 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah , I'm with ya LB. Were going to cruise by and check out the 2nd one. Tomorrow night after my wife gets off work.

That house is on the west end of Idaho about 10 miles from the Oregon border. The economy is dead as hell. It's about 30 miles from work, we have a store about 10 miles from that location, where, I could very probably find work.

As far as the house in Baker City. I'm working my contact list..

Who knows ?

Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 05:59 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
From the pictures I like the second place better.

I miss having a basement.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2015 01:11 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
New Plymouth is a very nice place. My ex wifes Grandparents lived there so we visited there quite a bit back in the 80's and early 90's. They lived just east of the Elementary school right across the street from the track.We stayed there and would then head up to Hells Canyon. I always liked it up there. She also had an uncle that had a dairy farm there too.

As far as the older house thing goes. I like older better to. Got rid of a New cookie cutter home in favor of an older, smaller fixer upper. Don't regret it.

[ May 23, 2015, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1550 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2015 04:56 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Not so sure about old houses. Had one of those, for a long time, don't miss it... But I'm liking the idea of small(er) ones. If I ever move, then next house is going to be a lot smaller. With a bigger shop area.

That's my idea of just right. Big, beautiful shop, small detached house.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2015 06:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave Allen, I know I don't have to caution you to control your wanderlust in regards to Southern California, specifically, San Diego. Yes, I understand why, but another reason is that you could buy ten Baker City houses for the price of one average home anywhere along the coast. Say what you will about the State, but the weather is incomparable, the most temperate climate in the world, neither too hot nor too cold. One of our members just rebuilt after a fire destroyed his home. Big 6,000+ sq.ft. house, but the interesting part is, it doesn't have air conditioning, or central air, the walls are a foot thick and insulated.

My daughter is trying to find something reasonable down there and if not, is considering AZ. Apple must be a nice outfit to work for, they will let Corey work from home and fly up to that new "world port" once every six weeks just to show his face. (Corey is my son-in-law) Now, if you want to see an amazing facility, google what is under construction in Cupertino. Somebody used a drone and video'ed the whole thing on YouTube.

On the other hand, there is no denying the attraction of small town America. Good luc, Dave.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2015 08:14 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep LB. I'm with ya there is no arguing the climate down there. We have what I consider moderate snowfall but, the roads are always a sheet of ice for a month it seems like, plus 100 degree days in the summer.

It's weird as you get older you kind of go back to your roots ? I grew up in a small town in western Oregon (Junction City) started working on a farm, when I was 14 or 15 ? road my bike to work.

My wife is from the Fruitland Idaho area, near that house in New Plymouth. Her dad lives in New Plymouth also. She's 46 I'm 51 now.

This kinda stuff started hitting me 4-5 years ago, and now it's hitting her..Lol

Excuse my rambling. My daughter and I are going to La Grande Oregon, for cheer tryouts next Friday @ Eastern Oregon University.

All three of us were up there last Friday checking it out. If she makes the team it would provide a partial scholarship.

We are moving west anyway and this provides more motivation, to due so. If she makes the team, it's a done deal. If not it's probably still a 70% chance she goes there.

On that note, we spoke with several advisers ect, last week. Really nice people. I was very impressed !!

Thanks all for listening. Lot's on my mind.. [Smile]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2015 09:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well see, that's exactly why Shelley and Corey are focused on moving, now. But, the casual planning has been going on for three years at least. Daughter #1 was graduated from Cal State Long Beach Wednesday and #2 from high school and will be going to party central in Santa Barbara, next year.

And, you know how it is with kids, nothing else matters, parents can't relocate when children are in school, there is some kind of rule?

So, because of the graduation, they were down visiting me for a few days, and then to move Peyton's furniture back home. Man, at the cost of supporting a student, tuition and in dorms or off campus! And, I used to bitch about a measly ten grand!

But, the big news is that they were starting to consider ARIZONA ! That kinda, sort renews my quest. If I could narrow it down to a single quadrant, it would be of enormous help! Well, I could eliminate the Navajo quadrant, so that makes it a little easier. I still like Dove Mountain.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit:I think it's interesting, what they are building. With more money than any other corporation, why not?

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=apple%27s+new+buildin&ei=6h5hVb0HxuigBL2SgtAH

[ May 23, 2015, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2015 04:07 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But, the big news is that they were starting to consider ARIZONA !
Great, just great.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2015 05:17 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Funny thing you guys talking about the west coast being the best climate. That is a sure bet for the continental US. Last week one morning after watching a Fox Poll that showed Hildebeast beating everyone else, I pulled up the best countries for expatriates to retire. Quinto Ecuador came up as the number one place to retire. The climate in Quinto is very stable year round because it is on the equator with 12 hours of daylight year round. Because the altitude is 9,000 ft, the daily highs average 66 degrees during the day and 50 degrees at night. If that is too cold you can retire in Mendallin, Columbia with an altitude of 5,000 ft. Highs are 80 degrees with lows of 60 degrees. On one site Quinto was the number one city and Mendallin was number four.

Dave: as far as old houses go, I would stay away from Stairs if over 55 years of age. Also, get a good plumbing inspection where they run a video scope through the pipes checking for corrosion. One of the most expensive repairs a home owner can face is replacing the sewer pipes within the home. Many of these old homes have cast iron pipes which has a rated life of 50 years but can last up to 100 years. My neighbor is dealing with that right now. They are using a technology called pipe bursting where they hydraulically blow the cast iron pipe apart while they feed in new flexible pipe in right behind it. They do have to dig a 2' by 2' hole through the floor at every joint. Usually the damage done to flooring and fixtures is more that the pipe repair itself.

Good Luck

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1920 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2015 06:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
AZ, It sorta figures that a poll showing Cankles beating everyone else will also show the best places to live being Ecuador and Columbia. Based on just climate? My father-in-law wasn't allowed to fly much less consider living at an elevation of 9,000 feet, and that might apply to a significant number of retirees.

You want to trust a poll of people willing to elect a done nothing mean lying bitch? I wouldn't.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2015 11:15 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the head's up on the plumbing. I forgot about that. I just called the owner she said the plumbing and electrical was all updated in 2000.

I think were headed over later to check out the inside ect..Last night the outside sure passed the eyeball test.

Chad that's funny you know where New Plymouth is. I bet 1/2 the people in Boise have no idea ?

Lol...

[ May 24, 2015, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2015 12:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good, except "upgraded plumbing" would usually mean water pipes and not necessarily the sewer lines.

Make them an offer they can't refuse, Godfather.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2015 12:06 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah the nice thing about both Fruitland and New Plymouth is that they are both really nice small communities but you're only 15 minutes from Ontario which is bigger and has the stores and such. Best of both worlds.
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2015 05:37 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed Chad, In fact that exactly what we did today. Headed over to Ontario, the girls wanted to go to Joanne's fabric or whatever it's called ? had dinner @ a Chinese joint.

Yeah LB I need to get specific on the sewer lines. The husband is in Thailand right now, guess they are moving there.

We shall see ?

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2015 08:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea there was another Ontario? Sometimes Ontario, CA gets confused with the Provence in Canada. Fact everybody should know, before Upland was incorporated in, (I think) 1903, it was called North Ontario. Ontario has a population of around 190,000 and Upland is about 75,000. This will be on the test, so pay attention!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2015 04:43 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
C'mon on............Everybody knows where Ontario is.
It's just south of the L.A. / Canada Freeway.
Yes ???
[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7479 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2015 07:06 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Flew from Ontario airport to Palm springs once I think in '82 going back to 29 stumps. Boy were my arms tired too. [Smile]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2015 07:17 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if Idaho has changed since then but I remember all the residents of Fruitland and New Plymouth would drive to Ontario (Oregon) to get there gas and groceries and such because there was no sales tax in Oregon but there was in Idaho.Same with when they bought there trucks..Thought that was a nice perk at the time also.
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2015 09:51 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep pretty much the same Chad. Vehicles get tricky though. You have to pay Idaho tax when registering even if you bought in Oregon.

I think in the old days guys could slip thru the cracks on that ?

Yeah if you buy food and all other stuff no sales tax. Idaho is @ 6%

It almost seems like I've heard of another Ontario, it's like in Kansas or Iowa or something ?

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2015 06:30 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Note: just a heads up for married men out there.

House Hunting sucks !! You can agree on many things, until, push comes to shove..

It's amazing !! When women start looking @ houses. They seem to think it's like buying on a credit card with no limit. And ya don't have to pay back..LOL !!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2015 07:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, females seem to focus on stuff you wouldn't even consider. Bless their hearts.

I'm not agreeing with you on the unlimited credit card situation, if my experience was any indication? My wife was a lot more practical than I. In fact, when I got home from work, one day 41 years ago, she told me that she put some money down on a house. This house! Apparently, I was content to live forever in a house that was too small for our needs? Needless to say, it was one of the smartest things I have ever done, not to dispute her, know what I mean?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2015 08:56 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I get what your saying LB. Excuse me, I was a little frustrated last night and used this Forum as a platform to vent. Lol

I guess what, I'm really trying to say is. We have a very functional home. Bought new almost 22 years ago, yep plenty of equity and such.

Now were talking about moving and such and all of a sudden she get's nit-picky ? She was all on board two week ago.

We've looked @ other houses than the two, I linked above. All nice cribs [Big Grin]

I think she's more of a being afraid of change when it all comes to it ?

On that note. While, I don't make mega bucks, because I have a somewhat grasp on Farm Equipment ? This allows me the chance to live in rural America. I mean really, if ya think about it, how many dudes out there would give their left nut, to live in a town of under 2,000 and work in a town of under 5,000 ?

BLM five miles away...

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2015 09:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and it brings up my jealousies and envies.

See, I have always needed a large metropolitan city for my talents. (such as they are)

I have admired people that could live anywhere they wanted, and still earn an income. Like, police officers, like artists. Like teachers, [Wink] Like Troy.

Not me, I always had to commute. Some people don't understand what that means? Whatever. It means people like me live in the suburbs and drive to work, sometimes unreasonable distances.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters