The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Camping... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Camping...
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 06:16 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
While shopping at bevmo last Christmas, I started talking to a sales clerk about a high dollar Patron tequila that was priced right at $500/bottle. He said a guy came in and purchased 20 bottles and paid cash. Sounds like a drug dealer to me. I doubt the employees knew that cash sales have to be reported if over 10k to the IRS.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 07:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The price of scots whisky, to someone that cannot appreciate these finer things in life is; (searching for a word) ridiculous. All scotch, (to me) tastes like it has a little dish detergent in it like maybe they didn't rinse the bottle very well before filling? No offense!

The whole category, expensive booze, seems to this observer, whom are we trying to impress? The extent of my sophistication when ordering a Margarita to accompany my combo Mexican dinner is deciding whether to get it blended or with ice cubes and salt on the rim.

Like that blind taste test with Johnny Walker Red, Black or Blue label. You really have to wonder how many can pass, if a wrong answer costs you a finger....or, was it Patron Silver, etc.? I forget?

You know, I did have a glass of Merlot with my scaloppini Wednesday night, the first in several weeks. I don't object to booze, I'm just, take it or leave it. One glass is my limit or I get loopy. (meds) And, that's another thing, I can't tell wine that's $8 a glass from $12?

Okay, end of rambling.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 07:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I am thinking that 'ol Dave could make a comfortable living organizing these field trips. I'm serious!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 08:19 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Might be able to. But, I'd probably end up hating it.

Wet nursing greenhorns is not my strong suit.

The expensive booze... A few years back, a bunch of us went in on one of those $3,500 bottles of scotch for my boss. I got a drink off it. It was nice. But not nearly THAT nice!

Along similar lines, the same boss, bought a $750 bottle of scotch for one of my co-workers for his 60th birthday. I sat in that co-workers living room (in Oklahoma, BTW...) and drank half that bottle with him, while smoking nice cigars (in the living room! His long suffering, wonderful wife, made an exception for us because it was way too hot to enjoy such finery in the shop...).

It too, was very nice, but again, no way was it THAT nice! Sitting in the Lazy Boy, in the living room, sipping high dollar whiskey and smoking a nice cigar with a good friend on his 60th sure was an awful nice way to pass an evening though! Memorable evening, for sure.

Heck, same-same for the 18 that got this started. It's really good whiskey. Really good! Each sip, has a beginning, a middle and an end. If that makes sense. At no point does it just turn to fire on the tongue or palette, it has distinct flavors that change as it first hits the tip of your tongue, then the back, then the throat. It really is, very, very good and I don't think you need to be any kind of a connoisseur to tell the difference between it and a garden variety whiskey.

But, again, nice as it is... Worth $200 a bottle? No way! Not to me. Not unless I could afford to light my cigars with $100 bills...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 08:29 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Scotch and cigars....paired in heaven. My favorite scotch is Lagavulin 16. Not cheap but not too expensive, either.

I bought a few cigars at Harrods a few years ago. Still smoking them.

My dad once told me that scotch is an acquired taste. I think he was right about that. Some people say scotch tastes like it has iodine in it. Whatever it is I like it.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 08:55 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
LB,
What I know about scotch you can write on the head of a pin...with that said, the scotch you are referring to, I think, is the blended variety.

That stuff tastes like crap!

However, the single malt scotch whiskey is a TOTALLY different animal. The stuff I have tried rivals very fine bourbon.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 09:06 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the day I worked at some high end joints that had extensive inventories of all matter of booze. From an exclusively French wine list, to 120 different bottled Belgian beers, 75 Micro brew taps, 30 different vodkas, bourbons & tequilas, 10 gins, 25 single malts. Man o' man we had alotta ways to catch a buzz & drain a wallet!!!

Anyhoo, it was OUR JOB to learn & be able describe the subtle differences between product. And with a bit of palette training, those differences could be rather easily recognized. All it took was exposure. Aside from our formalized training, we all spent many an after-shift informally learning about product [Wink] Good times!!!

I do believe that skill is perishable & doubt I'd be as sharp now as I was back then. But back in the day, I could peg Johnny Red, Black, Blue & Gold in a heads up blind tasting.
Could tell a French Bordeaux (mostly Cab Sav) from a Loire Valley (Cab Franc) from a Burgundy (Pinot Noir).
Could tell Chopin (potato vodka) from Vox (5x distilled grain), from Stoli & Absolut.
Could tell a Kentucky straight bourbon from a sour mash or Tennessee whisky. ALL FUN SHIT!!! Ah, the memories...

Again, I think that an 'in tune' palate is a perishable skill. But I bet we all can still remember the perfume of our first girlfriend? Our olfactory senses have a remarkable memory tied to them. And our sense of smell is a critical part of our palate. So, the same premise applies. Once you are introduced to, and learn a certain smell/taste, the memories come flooding back with ease...

That said, I'm perfectly happy buying 'blue collar' priced booze & there's TONs of great hooch out there to enjoy!

Damn straight that many consumers pay exorbitant prices for booze for the 'status' allowed when indulging in it.
Damn straight, there are TONS of modestly priced selections out there that can hang with the high dollar hooch. But, I'd dang sure rather spend an evening on a tailgate drinkin' 12pks with my buds, over quaffin' a cork finished Trappist Ale in lesser company. It's all about the company, not the pricetag!!!

OH YEAH... Fukkin' EXCELLENT PICS, as always Dave!!! Thank you!!!

And Moe, I agree! Lagavulin 16 was my preferred Single Malt...

[ May 22, 2015, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 09:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly do you mean, when you say: "the perfume of our first girlfriend?" Okay, never mind.

When I was a kid, my buddy had access to a place where the owner stocked Dewar's by the case. Sometimes, it was the only booze we could get; as I recall, it was tolerable. Then, there was a friend that swore by Cutty Sark and I actually drank that shit for a short time as a preferred drink, early twenties. I will never understand why?

Actually, I never had a drinking problem but I agree with koko, a good root beer is very refreshing.

On the other hand, there are many dang good beers and IPA's out there. My dad made home brew, very high alcohol content, two bottles was all you needed.

There, that's all I know. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 10:04 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite pic is the jeep next to edge of the cliff.. shit!

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 12:46 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Very Nice Dave, Thx for sharing those pic's.

A few years back when I was in Scotland, I got to make a tour of one of the distilleries. Those Scot's are very proud of their product.
The tour guide was not at all impressed after the tasting when I said damn reminds me of Wild Turkey...Hell what do I know I drink wine from a box....take it out of the box and the bladder conforms nicely to an ice chest lol.
Yall have a great Weekend and raise a glass to those that make it possible.

Stay after them
Kelly

[ May 22, 2015, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: Kelly Jackson ]

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 01:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, Kelly. With a remark like that, I'm surprised they didn't kick you out! Yes, they are inordinately proud of their whisky.

I'm with you, Wild Turkey is just fine, although I also like Southern Comfort, if I was in the mood for sipping whisky.

One thing for sure, lots of people have different tastes when it comes to hard liquor. My girlfriend said she used to drink scotch years ago, but I forgive her; as long as she feeds me! She's a very good cook, with enthusiasm.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 01:31 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing wrong with Chivas on ice. But I have been seen drinking Crown Royal, Knob creek, even Jack Daniels a time or two.

I never have been able to enjoy a cigar though, dunno why.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 03:21 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
So...............Nobody here drinks Mogan David & smokes Marsh Wheeling cigars ????
Them were the days !!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 06:00 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Ripple and Swisher Sweets here.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 06:01 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
double posted,dunt no how dat happend

[ May 22, 2015, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 08:39 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
And Rum Crooks !!!!
To think that I gave up those and Middleton Cherry Blends to smoke Partagas cigars.
[Confused]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2015 04:54 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Never could stomach the Mad Dog. Did occasionally have a Swisher.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2015 05:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a time I chewed a lot of HavaTampa cigars. Amazing the tobacco flavor you can get out of the wood tip hours after it goes out.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2015 07:00 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago you could enter the hills of Tennessee and leave a 20 dollar bill on a predetermided stump. Return 30 minutes later and retrieve a fruit jar filled with a clear liquid. Well almost clear. Upon swirling it around, you could see several black specks floating around and some parts of the liquid appeared to be slightly thicker than others.

This stuff started to burn the moment it hit your tongue and left a trail until it reached the bottom of your stomach. Admittedly it was an acquired taste, but this was usually achieved after the third swallow.

Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2015 07:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and I still have some in a gallon jug, on a shelf, as a souvenir. It must be high grade, no lumps?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2015 07:39 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
My brother likes Pendleton whisky, when I visit we enjoy a glass or two maybe three ? LOL

Other than that. I'm more of a beer guy. Oh' Sinfire ain't too bad. In the winter a snort or two feels pretty good !!

Makes me think, maybe I should go buy a 5th of Pendleton tonight ?

(edit) I always enjoy your pics Dave. Awesome stuff !!

[ May 23, 2015, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters