The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Camping... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Camping...
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2015 08:13 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few pics from a camping trip with my son and some friends over the weekend.

-

-

-

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2015 08:16 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
More...

-

-

-

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2015 08:19 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
More...

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------

Duckdog
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2015 10:16 AM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...
Great pics Dave.

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2015 01:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Man! You did it again!

Thanks for sharing, Dave.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31269 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2015 03:07 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Requesting rock art calendar for 2016.

[Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7483 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
MI VHNTR
I'm not shaving 'til Obama's gone!
Member # 3370

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2015 04:52 PM      Profile for MI VHNTR   Email MI VHNTR         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent pictures! Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon

Posts: 390 | From: MI | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2015 08:43 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, I love to get to camp there. Grizz

--------------------
I don't hunt with the pack.

Posts: 95 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2015 02:44 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome!
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2015 03:38 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok...........Now can we chat a bit about that fire-ring in the background in the whiskey / cigar photo ??
I'm assuming that it's propane ??
(Edit) Homemade or store bought ??
Pros....Cons ????
A xx tank of gas will last about how long ??
Since you don't appear to be in a brushfire danger zone, do you use it because firewood is scarce or it's just more convenient ??

Thanx !!

More edit for speling.
(Hey, I'm still on my first cup of coffee this morning.)

[ May 21, 2015, 03:42 AM: Message edited by: Kokopelli ]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7483 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2015 04:23 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko, that's not mine, it belongs to my friend Steve. Store bought and expensive - Campfire in a can. It does work significantly better than the several homemade and less expensive store bought versions I have been around though.

How long it lasts depends on how high you turn it up, but we used it three nights on this trip and it was still going.

Wood burning is not allowed in that particular national park, ever, anywhere. So something like that is the only way possible to have a campfire.

Other than situations like that, where it's the only way, I'd have no use for one, myself. But the other possible advantages include no smoke, no need to gather wood, instant on/off, no ashes (some places expect you to haul your ashes out with you).

- DAA

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2015 04:26 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Here it is:

Campfire in a can.

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2015 07:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea there was a demand for such a thing? When I noticed it in one of the above photos, I briefly thought to myself, that's an odd device to pack into the back country? A fake campfire! But, that's what we are up against if we really want to venture into pristine wilderness, and packing out your poop, goes without saying.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I was just thinking...at some point, people will be saying things like: "You mean people used to actually burn real wood in a campfire?"

[ May 21, 2015, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2015 07:48 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, packing out your turds is getting to be required in more places every year.

Or, some places, like Grand Gulch, you don't have to pack out your turds, but they do expect you to pack out your used toilet paper.

I've found a properly sized piece of sandstone works just as well. And there are no regulations about leaving your shit scraper rock lay where you drop it. Really.

- DAA

--------------------

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2015 07:54 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pictures Dave. I see someone carries a battery powered impact. Never owned one but the mechanics that do like them. No air hoses to trip over, and can do most things we need an impact for.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1921 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2015 09:10 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup the impact is mine and I do like it a lot. Especially when changing a flat on the trail!

- DAA

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2015 10:22 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Much Thanx !!!
I rarely have a campfire anymore for a number of reasons, among them being camped in the middle of my hunting area and just too much hassle.
Then there's the whole liability thing in the event a spark would get away.........
I'll give this thing some thought.

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2015 11:11 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
As always, great pics!

Man, that one pic with the jeep right on the edge of the canyon wall, my wife would divorce me in a second if I drove that close to the edge and she was in the vehicle.

She has a serious fear of heights and gets nervous when we drive some of the canyon roads in this part of the world where the first bounce would be about 150 feet down.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2015 12:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, or what are the odds, just as you drive along that the ridge has been festering for 3,000 years and needed only another couple tons of weight and vibration.... to break off a piece. Nah, really doubtful, huh? But, you see on the news, regularly, somebody falls down some type of ridge, berm, or gravel chute.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS hell, I don't like to stand too close to the windows in a high rise hotel. Gives me the creeps!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2015 12:34 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Man, that one pic with the jeep right on the edge of the canyon wall, my wife would divorce me in a second if I drove that close to the edge and she was in the vehicle.

I would be locked up tighter'n a bird dog on point if you made me get out of the driver's side door on that jeep with that view...damn near gave me the vapors just looking at the picture!

DAA...how is the Macallan 18? I have an unopened bottle of Macallan 10 sitting in my freezer waiting for a good excuse to break the label...

[ May 21, 2015, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2015 01:40 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
The 18 is outrageously good! The 10... Well, not so much?

- DAA

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2015 01:42 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW... That 18 is also way rich for my blood, too. It was a gift, from back in November, finally had a good time and place to enjoy it!

Way too expensive for me though. Not something I'd ever buy for myself.

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2015 02:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of that stuff, connoisseur spirits, etc. Has anybody noticed the fancy-pants Tequila down at Costco? Many years ago we could go down to Nogales and I (believe) we could bring seven "containers" of liquor, be it twelve ounce bottles of beer or one gallon jugs of vodka or tequila. How much costem? Don't remember, but I'm pretty sure it was under five bucks a gallon? I know we could get a 12 ounce water glass of tequila at the La Paloma in Zaragoza for a dollar.

Now, you can pay very close to $100 for what looks closer to a 750ml bottle of reposto or whatever they call it? Don't ask me the brand, there seems to be a different one every time I pass by that isle. So, what I am saying is; based on my experience with cheap tequila south of the border, I am just flabbergasted at what our well off neighbors are willing to pay for a category that I always considered a cheap drunk vehicle.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: sooner or later, somebody will ask about that cigar balanced on the plastic cup?

[ May 21, 2015, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2015 03:12 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh... The cigar. That was chosen, very specifically, not to "get in the way" of tasting that very high dollar scotch. And I didn't even light it until I had drank about as much as I was gonna for the evening.

It's a Montecristo White. Mild, creamy, good quality but not overly expensive cigar. Definitely more mild than my usual, but turned out to be a good choice to go with the whiskey.

- DAA

--------------------

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2015 05:40 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,
I know what you mean about the price…my bottle of Macallan 10 was a gift from a kid from Scotland that works for our bank.

I think the 10 year old stuff is around $65.00 a bottle, and it looks like the average of the 18 is around $200.00.

When we were in London, we went to Harrod’s department store and I found their ‘Wine and Spirits Room’…The Macallan 30 ‘Oak Cask’, or something like that, was ONLY, (written with sarcasm), around $3,500.00!

If you want to see something that is over the top, go to the wine and spirits section of www.harrods.com, and look at the 12 bottle collection of ‘The Dalmore’ single malt whiskey…it is only $987,500 British Pounds or about $1,500,000.00, BUT it comes with its own hand made wood storage case! [Eek!]

We didn't see it while we were there, as it is stored under lock and key!

[ May 22, 2015, 05:43 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters