The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Oh shit I've done it now (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Oh shit I've done it now
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2015 08:08 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I had to shoot a dog this morning in front its owner. I was walking my dog this morning in a nearby wash when I came upon this lady. She immediately put this older dog on her leash. Then this younger dog comes out of a bush and attacks my dog. I tried to pick my dog up but couldn't because her dog has a hold on my dog. I get up and kick it a few times so he would let go but he comes right back after my dog. I kicked some more and he is now on his right side while holding onto of my dog. So I pulled my gun and put two in his chest. I shot straight down at point blank range into the animal's chest. The dog ran off and hasn't been found for all I know. I immediately call 911. The lady was getting pissed at me so I left the scene and told the 911 operator that I was going to a nearby street corner so it would be easier for the police to find me instead of having to walk down the wash to find us. Luckily a bicycle rider saw the whole thing and backed my story up. The cops were cool. They took the gun's serial numbers down and made out a loose animal incident report.

I am surprised how my body is reacting to the incident. The confusion about what happened because it happened so quick. I've previously worked it out in my head that if I ever had to shoot a dog, it would be a straight down shot thru the center of mass so as to not have any collateral damage. A shot pointing downward say at a 30 degree angle would be very risky unless you have a block fence as a back drop. There is so much fast movement of the dogs to really get a controlled shot in. Right now I'm worrying about a law suit.

I edited this post to remove my dog's name so as to make identification more difficult.

[ May 13, 2015, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: Aznative ]

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2015 09:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
But, did the woman own both dogs? If the stray dog ran off, I'd say you have very little to worry about, since discharge of a firearm within city limits didn't occur to the cops?

Secondly, exactly what kind of firearm are you using that can't kill a dog with two rounds? Well, center of chest is a lung shot, all of which are fatal, but? Actually, a heart shot will run like that, to die within fifty yards, or so?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2015 10:17 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Shit dude, sorry you and your dog had to endure that.
One thing you might wanna do is take your dog to the vet to document the attack.
Hope everything pans out. Bad situation, all around...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2015 10:40 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry this shit happened to you..

Its got to be a little scary not knowing what you don't know.. Getting an eye witness that collaborates your side is going to help!

good luck and keep us posted..

[ May 12, 2015, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2015 11:08 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the other dog was hers. The woman might as well been Michael Brown's mother: "my dog wasn't going to hurt your Dog". The dog didn't get far I'm sure. There is a lot of brush in this area and the lady probably wasn't a hunter and couldn't find anything dead in that type of brush. I was shooting a 38 special with starfire bullets. She started getting hostile so I took off to avoid any further issues.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2015 11:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
All in all, a happy outcome. I'm guessing you didn't exchange insurance info?

However, since her dog wasn't hurting your dog, I'm sure her friends will convince her to seek a lawyer that loves animals.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS 38spl? I was expecting you to say 22 rimfire.

edit: the lady more than likely couldn't find the dead dog, but I bet her other dog could find it?

[ May 12, 2015, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2015 01:02 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the world of the mailman. Shit happens fast, don't it?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2015 02:16 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, it does. That is what rattled me the most. Shoot, Don't shoot training would be nice. My biggest fear is my back drop. I don't want anyone behind the target while shooting, and being able to think fast enough to check before shooting is a must.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2015 03:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say your concern is debilitating. The conditions under which you pull your piece are monumental compared to unintended consequences. Actually, to hesitate is to be dead. If you're right, I wouldn't cloud the issue.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2015 06:18 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say you handled the situation perfectly. Good on you for doing so.

I'd cover all my bases now. Trip vet for your dog police report, ect... It sounds like this lady is the typical "my dog would never do that" type.

I hope it all works out for ya.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2015 06:59 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Well we had some more drama this morning which is very unusual so soon. While walking this morning up a main street we came upon a house that has 2 Rottweilers. WRONG. This house faces a minor street and is besides a main road. Over the years we have walked this route a hundred times, but twice in the last month we have walked up this way and the owners are out front sitting with 2 Rottweilers. 30 ft of the side fence and all of the front fence is only 40" high block fencing with chain link along the opposite side next to the owners driveway. The back yard has a six foot high block fence. Because we have seen them out there twice before I walked ahead of my wife and dog. As soon as I cleared the six foot fence and hit the 40" fence I saw four Rots out front. One Rot ran towards me. I yelled at the wife to get out of here and pulled my gun while backing up. The dog ran up the fence looked over but didn't jump. It was Deja Vu all over again and I was sure that if that Rot saw our dog a battle royal would ensue. Luckily the dog stayed put and didn't jump over. We are going to avoid that corner for now. The previous two times we walked up that way and saw the rots out there, we saw only two dogs and were never charged . I returned in my truck and talked to the lady, and she doesn't believe these large dogs can jump a 40" fence. I told if one ever does jump over all of us are going to have a very bad day. I found out she breeds these animals and has more than the four I saw this morning. She would be a cool old lady to talk to if she would just be sure she maintained control of her animals. Avoiding trouble is the way we usually stay out of fights. One morning I saw a black male walking towards us with a big pit bull on a lease. The pit was pulling the young man. I noticed them approaching soon enough that we turned down a side street a long ways from trouble.

I want to thank all of you for your support on this matter.

Thank you

--------------------

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2015 07:36 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a lifted '74 Chev 3/4 ton. The bed rails had to be at least 60" high. I could see over them, but not by much.

My Rottweiler could jump in the back, from a standing position (no running start), without touching the bed rail. That dog always was a show off too, had a real sense of arrogance and style about him. The way he'd clear those bed rails without touching them and make a soft landing, was a really pretty thing to see.

Used to straight up freak some people right out, seeing a dog that big could be that athletic and nimble.

Never had much of an issue with him and other dogs. He ignored them, if they would at all let him. Like I said, that dog had style though. Neighbor on the corner had a couple Rottweiler's, ill behaved. Same sort of deal, corner house, short chain link fence along the sidewalk. Trench worn into the dirt along the fence from those dogs running up and down going apeshit at anything and everything that passed along the sidewalk.

Every time I'd walk Angus past there - never on a leash - but always under control. But anyway, every time we'd walk by, those other Rotties would be inches away on the other side of the chain link just going absolutely APE SHIT, snarling, slobbering, growling, barking, slamming into the fence. And every time, my dog Angus, would puff up like a body builder, making sure his shoulders were square and his muscles were showing and he never, not once, so much as turned his eyes towards those other Rotties. Eyes straight ahead or turned up at me, he'd walk by like he was on parade and couldn't be bothered to acknowledge the riff raff.

Angus had a patented move for ankle yappers on the loose, too. Like I said, he would ignore other dogs if it was at all possible. But when a small dog would run up and get right in his face, he had this move where he'd step on the little dog to pin it down and then piss on it.

Oh, I guess I should add, he never got cut and never ignored a female in heat. I swear, not exaggerating, he could smell a female in heat from MILES away and would do anything, move heaven and earth, endure any pain, just to go get him some. He knocked down more than one wooden fence. Chewed right through 4x4 posts to drop whole 8' sections of fence, just to get at that pussy. He was kinda bad that way...

I loved that dog. He had style...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2015 07:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people are so clueless about their precious doggies. A rotti can't jump a 40" chainlink? That's a joke! You mention block fence, and I assume it's what I call a block "wall"? This is what I have enclosing my side and back yards. I have watched a coyote jump to the top of my six foot wall from a standing start. I figure, if a coyote can do that, an animal twice as big and three times as strong should be able to clear a 40" fence. Theoretically.

But, some people get off watching their animals intimidate people casually walking past their property. It's sick. One time many years ago, I was walking over to the Little League field. I was in the street, there was a curb but no sidewalk. Suddenly a large Boxer charged me. He held me immobilized, couldn't go forward or back or any movement would cause very aggressive snarls and I was undecided as how to proceed.

Then I noticed the owner sitting on his porch, watching the whole episode. I talked to him, told him to call his dog off. He said; "He's on his property", which was true, and I was a foot away, on a public street. A little altercation ensued, which caused the dog to slack a little bit and I eased out into the street and turned around and headed back home. When I got there, I packed my Combat Commander in my pants, and resumed my journey, but this time I didn't walk close to the curb, more like 3 or 4 feet from it. All in vain, the dog was gone, the man had left his porch and I continued over to the ballpark/end of story.

But, does anybody see a behavior or attitude problem? I wonder what the hell these people are thinking? They love to watch their vicious animal scare the crap out of completely innocent and oblivious strangers walking past their property. They actually do have a problem, it's mental.

The other situation. I have seen it before, in the old neighborhood. A husky pitbull lunging forward and some black teenager semi restraining the dog, and on a long rope. Some time ago I read an advice article about dogs that won't heal, and drag the owner on a walk. This guy said he makes an abrupt turn, yanking the dog off his feet. Then continue. And as soon as the dog starts pulling him again, he does it again, maybe twice more, virtually dragging the dog off it's feet. After about five minutes, at the most, the dog decides it is in his best interest to stick close to the master and the lesson seems to be permanent? I have tried it, and it works, no more dog dragging the owner down the block, they almost instantly modify their behavior. I'm no dog expert, but I was impressed by that little demonstration, the dog no longer thinks he needs to lead the parade, but "heels" close to the person. Simple and effective solution.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: and reading DAA above, I have a similar situation, corner house, has been a rental for quite a few years and the current people have two Rottweilers. Same thing as every other house in the neighborhood, block walls and these dogs monitor all activity looking through the rot iron gate. Then, they go berserk.
These people have kids, fairly young couple and seem to be perfectly okay with how their dogs intimidate everybody in the neighborhood. I can be out front watering with a hose and I'm across the street and two houses over but they still go apeshit when they see me. It's annoying, to say the least. The owners don't get it? If it were me and I had no other solution, I would put plywood over the gate, since that is their window on the world. <sigh>

[ May 13, 2015, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2015 10:58 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, that reverse course & 'backflip' technique works like a charm! I ain't too hardazz about a strict 'heel' & allow my dog to venture in front of me, so long as the leash remains slack. If he gets a bit overzealous, a quick about face correction reinforces that pulling on lead is not allowed...

It irks me to see people make excuses for dogs that are obviously out of control. And it seems many small dogs are allowed a free pass for being ill-mannered. Whether its 15 or 150lbs., a dog should be under control.
Although there's a time & place for allowing a dog to be protective, it doesn't have to be maniacal about reacting toward every little stimulus. Especially when that stimulus is not overtly threatening. IMHO, a good dog knows when to ramp up the attitude...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2015 11:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't agree more, Fred!

edit:
quote:
But when a small dog would run up and get right in his face, he had this move where he'd step on the little dog to pin it down and then piss on it.
I have mentioned before about my redbone and how she would treat small dogs and cats. She would take both front feet and strike out with a surprise move that would send the little critter into backward somersaults. I got a big "kick" out of it. Sometimes she would gently jump up and put her front paws on somebody's shoulders; then a low warning growl. Usually scared the shit out of people, but she was just joking around, she wasn't aggressive. But, she would never let another dog sniff her butt. That would elicit a very stern rebuke. Damn I miss that dog!

[ May 13, 2015, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2015 07:01 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks DAA. I was sure those rots could easily jump that 40" block wall and your input seals that opinion. Many times when we would walk by this house, two rots would go apeshit when we walked by their wrought iron gate with red wood panels installed for privacy. While talking to the lady, she said she has to keep many of them separated because they fight each other . What the fuck is she thinking. She is keeping mean dangerous animals loose in her front yard. I'm upgrading my weapon soon to a S&W Shield. No more five shot revolver. I might carry it too on my walks but I'll have it loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs if the glaser safety slugs won't function in the Shield.

Another part of this story that I haven't wrote about is this asshole neighbor. I left the scene for two reasons. First, because the lady was going livid and I didn't want any more trouble. Second, 911 was having trouble figuring out where we were at because we were 100 yards off the nearest road in a wash. While leaving and while still on the phone with the 911 operator, I was walking to the nearest corner intersection. A man was outside his house with a Chow. BTW: I have a brother in law that was attacked by his own Chow. I asked the man to put his dog up. His reply was "my dog is on my property so he doesn't have to be on a leash. " I told him I just had to shoot a dog that was attacking us and I don't want to do it again. When the police showed up, he runs over and says "my dog is on my property so it doesn't have to be on a leash. This man threatened to shoot my dog". Right then the chow crosses his property walking towards its owner. The cop said your dog is off your property. Now get out of here and take your dog with you.

The whole incident has been a real learning experience. I wish it never happened but it did so I will learn from this just in case. Our current dog is the best dog we ever had. We have almost always had a dog or two with just a few exceptions. With that said he is going to be our last. We want to travel and it is just too hard to find someone to take care of him.

[ May 14, 2015, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: Aznative ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2015 07:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same problem, finding somebody to babysit my cockatoo when I go somewhere for more than a couple days.

I really think people with potentially dangerous dogs are incredibly stupid. First, the guy says: he's on my property so he does not have to be on a leash. In a lot of jurisdictions, having an unrestrained dog is a violation because the animal can leave the property, as was demonstrated. Then, the asshole whined to the cop; BooHoo, that man threatened to shoot my dog! He turned an unrelated incident into "all about me." A fucking jerk, typical of those that keep dangerous breeds.

Hey, good choice on the S&W M&P Shield! I'm very satisfied with mine; get the 40S&W, I think it has a lot more authority over a 9MM. On the other hand, I'm not sure 40S&W is a lot more gun than a 38Spl +P? Seems like it depends on the bullet? I personally like Glazers, I even use them in 25ACP. and 45ACP. I haven't seen Glazers for 40S&W yet? I will buy them, if I see them? But, for right now, I am using Dynamic Research Technologies 105gr. HP, and it is a hell of a HP!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2015 04:17 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Had a tense situation that ended for the better today that illustrates a regular day as the mailman.

Have a customer near the end of my route who moves a lot of product through Ebay and uses USPS for shipping. She has a daughter who is about 4 which I will call "B". Curly blonde hair, precocious as all get out and a go getter. Waits for me to get there each day and brings her mom's outgoing to me so she can take any inbound packages back to the house with her. They have four dogs. All either boxers, or boxer mixes. All well over fifty pounds. One is a big red male.

Anyway, I pull up today and "B" has all the neighborhood girls at her house - four of them, plus her. I step out of the truck and "B" wants to show the others how she helps her mom so she grabs the outgoing mail and before she's off the porch, that big red male dog steps into view at the back corner of the house, unrestrained. He gives a couple "woofs" and starts walking toward me, somewhat reserved, but still moving toward me. Caution recommended.

Not realizing the dynamic she's creating, "B" runs toward me with a package. As soon as Ol' Red sees "B" and me in the same frame, the hackles go up and he drops down another gear. I'm fifteen feet from my truck, no satchel for protection. The dog is thirty feet from me already moving toward me growling and woofing this real guttural bark. I know I can't make it back to the truck and shut the door. "B" is smack dab between us looking at me. All I could do was turn sideways, grab my worthless pepper spray off my right hip, hold my left hand out with a bundle of mail to draw his attention and yell, "NO!.... NO!....NO!". "B" stopped and I yelled at her to get back on the porch in my best "Daddy is serious as all shit" voice and, to her credit, she didn't even hesitate to turn on a dime and clear out. As soon as she did, mom comes around the corner just as that dog is lowering his front shoulders to make a running leap toward me. Luckily, he heels well and he shut his shit down as soon as she yelled at him. He was about ten feet from me.

She dragged him around back and into the house, then came out and apologized to me. I reminded her that I had asked her on several occasions to make sure her dogs were secure, and this time advised her that if the girls are going to play outside during delivery hours, having any of their dogs loose makes delivering their mail a kamikaze mission for the mailman because her dog will, and in this instance, did misinterpret my presence as a threat to her child and he WILL ACT ON IT. This time ended okay.

I hate big dogs. [Frown]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2015 04:30 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Right on Leonard. 40 cal is what I'm going with. I've had my fill with 9s. I still have a Belgium made Hi-Power and a few others. BTW: the 40 Cal will be a new caliber for me to reload.

I've been straddling the fence about that caliber too long and want more than a 9mm can offer but not the bulk of a 45. Plus, I want more concealable fire power than a 5 shot 38. I started collecting 40 cal cases at the range years ago and have a good supply.

Another reason is to help about 6 friends get into reloading. 40 cal is the one caliber they all have in common. They want me to teach them how it is done. Somewhere I have an old lee loader. I'm thinking about digging that antique up and using that as a very simplified demonstration on loading. Then move onto the rock chucker, and lastly the Dillon 650. Four of these guys are brothers which I think could share the expense of getting into it. I just hope I don't scare them with the expense to get into like I did. I'll need to explain to them that you do it a little at a time. Some want bottle neck training and some only straight wall case training. The hardest concept to teach is overall length. Most people don't initially get how running the rod down to the bolt and setting a locking collar will give your OAL when you measure between the collar and muzzle while the rod is run down to a bullet seated to the lands. I'll need to come up with about three different ways to explain that one and hopefully one will sink in. I do like getting new people into the shooting sports. It makes them better voters.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2015 05:28 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, if that Lee Loader is "that" old? I doubt 40S&W has been around (what?) ten years?

In any case, I'd go lite on the Dillon, might scare them? On the other hand, some people are hard wired for automation. They would think nothing of hours of set up, to load ten rounds. That's my son; fire up the chain saw to cut down one twig. [Frown]

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2015 08:01 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a good reason free 1x fired 40S&W brass is plentiful , when fired in a "grock" a oval/egg shaped/distorted case head is almost guaranteed . The worst offender is Winchester (thinnest brass) , Federal & Remington brass can sometimes be salvaged if you can get it into the shell holder & use something like a Rockchucker press to resize it using Carbide dies w/ case lube. There ain't any flies on a 40S&W loaded to its potential & a Shield is a darn good pocket rocket.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2015 08:29 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"..........fire up the chainsaw to cut down one twig".

Yeah, but remember the `Man Motto`;

`Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Over Doing !!!!`

[Cool]

Edit 4 spel.

[ May 14, 2015, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Kokopelli ]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2015 05:11 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
That old lee loader is probably in 30-40 krag, and belonged to my dad. I still have his old rifle and some bullets. The first caliber I loaded was 30-06, but I gave that lee loader away.

I've spent a lot of money on equipment over the years. I have a thousand dollars in just four RT1200 trimmers. BAck when I purchased them we were working and making a lot of money. We are doing Ok now despite being retired without SS. We will be doing great once again we start our Social Security, but we will probably wait until 70 years old to engage mine.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2015 06:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a really difficult decision, and everybody has to make it, one way or the other. I don't remember how much they penalize you for opening a social security claim early, but it is substantial.

For me, I didn't stress over it,it was impulsive, one day I said FUCK IT and retired when I found out I could retroactively start in June before my birthday in September. To be clear, that involved my pension, not SS, but it sure tilted me in that direction.

The wife turned a little green when I told her, but I said let's at least try! If it don't work out, I can be a greeter at Walmart, or piano player in a whore house. So, I started my SS on my 62nd birthday and never regretted it for an instant.

Yeah, you get more, if you wait, but look at what happened to Nancy, my dearly departed. She opened her claim when she turned 62 and was dead, a year later. Completely unexpected, but suppose she was one of those that wanted to wait until she was 70, to collect the maximum amount. She would not have collected a dime, in that case, it's a crap shoot so I say, take the money and run. Then learn to live on the results. There is no doubt in my mind that I made the right choice, for me. I was made for retirement! This shit about getting bored with nothing to do is bogus. There is always something to do.

But, think long and hard, you have to live with the decision for a long time, no denying that statement!

Good hunting. El Bee

PS also, it's a waste of time to do the math. You really can't beat the system.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2015 07:12 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
That really sucks your wife dying so early. I know you guys were married for a long time and it must have been very tough on you. My wife and I have been married for 40 years, and I cannot imagine losing her.

I filed for social security two weeks ago and I will be getting a phone call in a few days from them to suspend my benefits so they can grow. Then I will file for my wife to get spousal benefits which is 90% of what she would be getting now if she collected her own benefits at age 62. Her benefits will continue to grow while collecting my SS. I have a nice pension and make some extra money off of the rentals. My wife also gets a small pension now and will get another small pension at age 65. I'm going to activate our annuities at 64 or 65 years of age. It depends upon other factors. Social Security grows at 8% per year plus colas from age 66 to age 70. Our annuities are not growing that quickly so I will use them to act as a bridge until age 70. I attended a lot of retirement luncheons with different advisers. This last group made the most sense and gave actual advise about SS that was better than the other advisors. Most of these advisors advertise they will cover SS but give you a book that gives a few examples when you show up that are not any better than the ones on the SS site. BE ADVISED: getting good information is very hard from the Social Security employees. Their web site sucks and give just few examples where they assume you are looking to retire at age 66. Much of the text on their site is worded in such a way as to make you think you can only do certain things like spousal benefits at age 66. In fact my wife started her social security and she just received her third check. She went down to cancel it a month ago, which you can do within the first year. While there she told them what she was going to do and the clerk said you cannot collect spousal benefits until you are age 66. That is a stupid, over paid, union protected Government worker for you. I showed my wife this web page where you put in your date of birth and a hypothetical retirement date and it will give you the percentage of the spousal normal benefit that you can receive early:
http://www.ssa.gov/oact/quickcalc/spouse.html

The above benefit is based upon your spouse's normal retirement benefit: the benefit the spouse would receive at age 66 regardless of what the spouse's current age is. There are so many ways to file for SS it is unbelievable. You can file and collect off of a previous marriage if you were married for at least 10 years. I took and made an excel spreadsheet with various break even scenarios. You will break even at approximately 78.5 years of age by waiting until age 66 vs. age 62. You will break even at 79.5 if you wait until age 70 vs 62. I'm going to let mine grow the most because when I die, my wife loses her benefit and gets to keep mine because my benefit is the larger one.
Your are correct that it is a very personal decision. I don't like giving out so much personal information, but I'm giving a lot of personal information in the above three paragraphs to help other members of this board. The best thing you can do is attend every retirement luncheon you are invited to until you find someone that makes the most sense for your situation.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters