The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Westerns (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Westerns
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2015 06:25 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Empire of the Summer Moon was a good read. A bit sensationalized, but, what ain't these days? The theme of the Comanche as the de facto economic power of the entire region for a hundred years - Spanish very much not withstanding - took a back seat to the "murder and rape" theme, which was a shame. A lot to learn, that could apply anywhere in the world at any time up to and including the present, in the rise and fall of the Comanche empire. And, it was, make no mistake, an empire, in the purest sense of the word.

All The Pretty Horses... I'd no idea there was a movie. Really enjoyed the first two books of the trilogy but kind of got lost in the third one. McCarthy can get that way though, lots of people got lost towards the end of No Country. Actually re-reading Blood Meridian right now, for about the third time, like it better than Pretty Horses. The Road will always be my favorite McCarthy book though.

Oh yeah, this was about movies... I almost never watch movies... Will have to see about watching Pretty Horses though.

Tom Horn... Might have been setup on the Willy Nichol deal. Might not have been. Play with fire and you are going to get burned though and he was killing for hire for the rich and ruthless and should have known they'd not leave him in a position to talk about it. They damn sure didn't hang an "innocent" man either way. He murdered plenty of folks, without ever giving them a chance. Murdered one of my personal favorite outlaws, old Isom Dart, by sniping him without so much as a "hello". Fuck Tom Horn, he got what he had coming!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2015 07:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You want to talk "books" now, tell you what, several years ago, member AR Shaw loaned me a book that was contrary to all politically correct bullshit you ever heard, or read about the "noble redman".

Title is "Indian Depredations in Texas" and gives dates like 1826-1875 ....or so? It's a compendium of short accounts about incidents involving whites and mostly Comanches. It's something like 600 pages and must be about three inches thick. You will read accounts of shootouts and cruelty that you won't find anywhere else, that's for sure! Stuff like slicing the skin off the bottoms of a white woman's feet so she wouldn't want to escape. That's hardcore.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2015 07:54 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Booger;
Trust me on this one; watch The Shootist.

And as previously posted, in a lighter moment; Waterhole Number Three.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2015 08:15 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
A couple books that tie into the Comanches is the story of Herman Lehmann. "The Last Captive" and "Nine Years Among the Indians." "The Last Captive" brings a pretty fair price on Amazon these days.

Lehmann was captured at 11 or 12 years old by Apaches in Texas. He later took up with one of the last bands of free-ranging Kwahadi Comanches, when things went south living among Apaches.

The Indians (and the guys they fought) lived a tough and brutal life. There was no quarter given and none expected in return.

Lehmann and this small band of Comanches were eventually talked into surrendering by the Comanche chief, Quanah Parker, the son of the white woman, Cynthia Ann Parker.

It didn't take Lehmann long to become fully "Indianized", and he was just as tough and mean as those he ran with. It seems to have taken the rest of his life to re-acclimate to white culture though.

[ July 09, 2015, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2015 08:51 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave; give All The Pretty Horses a view; possibly my favorite movie, can't say how many times Ive watched that one. Favorite McCarthy book has to be "The Crossing", it all took place down in my neck of the woods, so I recognize most of the places and descriptions of the area in New Mexico and southern Arizona.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2015 08:51 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the leads on some interesting titles!

Found full text for "Indian Depradations" book online... HERE if anyone else is interested...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2015 10:21 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
DAA, you are correct on the book title.
I've seen all the old westerns so many times I can quote them word for word.
McClintock is one of the better ones.
Water Hole #3 is a good one.
I guess I like the lighter westerns. Like Dirty Dingus McGee, The Dutchess and the Dirt Water Fox and so forth. Mind went blank (yeah I know it's always blank). I know there are hundreds more that are good ones.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2015 10:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
All The Pretty Horses, was kinda brutal, especially within the Mexican prison. But, the depiction of Mexican Rancho life, I thought was fairly honest. I sure liked the scenery. Reminded me exactly like Chihuahua and Durango, not so much like Sonora, of which I am much more familiar. I just wished I could call some of those locations!

One thing about that movie. I thought Bruce Dern just about stole the last part of the movie. (played the judge) Actually, I thought it was an obscure movie, did not realize anybody else might have seen it?

The horse wrangling was really good.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: Hey, while we're at it, let's not forget all those Louie LaMour (sp) books! Man, the were great, especially Hondo and a couple others dealing with Apache's and Mojaves, or my personal favorite, the Papago. I lost interest altogether in the Sackett series. I read every single one, but not any Sackett novels. The thing is, I could see myself in many of those places, always felt that I had been there?

[ July 09, 2015, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2015 11:48 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
One other oddball movie that was a modern western of sorts, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada,with Tommy Lee Jones.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2015 08:16 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
WOW guess I'm behind the times haven't see all the pretty horses or even heard of it.
but I don't do movie theaters either.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2015 09:40 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless of the authenticity of the film Tom Horn was an outstanding movie and one of Steve McQueen's better roles.

There's a lot to read out there about Horn. Half of it says he was a hero the other half says he was a villain.

I can't say if it's strictly a western but one of my favorites is The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2015 12:06 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fuck Tom Horn, he got what he had coming!

You made me chuckle, Dave. Thanks!

If we treated crooks the same way today, we'd probably live in a better place.

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2015 01:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Best Steve McQueen movie; THE GETAWAY. Excellent.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters