The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Kelly and all the Okies? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Kelly and all the Okies?
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2015 12:41 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Sure makes me appreciate having my own well. Ive had water running 24/7 the last month or so, keeping trees and surrounding grass alive until we start to get our summer rain cycle.
I read with amazement about Daves' situation in Utah, concerning no rain water harvesting and the associated fines/penalties....blows my mind?
I had just read that doing just that, is what saved Australia's' bacon during their 13 year drought, now it is mandatory to have any new housing deveopments provide for rain water harvesting....what the fuck is wrong with our system and politics that they do not see the advantage?

Posts: 1602 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2015 12:54 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Water laws around here are just nucking futts. Someone has rights to the water that runs off each and every house roof that exits. Don't ask me how that can be, but it's how the laws are written.
Capture that "run off" and you're breaking the law.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2015 01:01 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
We went right from famine to feast here in Central Kansas…basically Ma Nature has wiped out our drought situation in about 6 weeks. We have had close to 25” of rain at my house since April 11th, after having only had 16 inches of rain in all of 2014. The mosquitoes at my house are damn near as big as the robins… [Smile]

The town where I live only uses about 30% of its annual allocation of water, while my hometown of Russell, Kansas, just 35 miles north of my house, is on severe water restrictions.

My farmers that irrigate have indicated that their wells are up about 18” over last year. The only issue now is that the crops are drowning, and it is getting to the critical point of not being able to get some of their fall crops planted.

As far as water laws go, I can't imagine what is going to happen if the EPA gets their way and starts regulating water in ditches, etc., the way they want.

[ June 01, 2015, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 01, 2015 01:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm too lazy to look it up but. Seems like a few years ago, they were all advocating cisterns under all gutters and using it to water plants, etc? I'm pretty sure they would do it, totally ignorant of laws that forbid the practice.

As to the control of runoff and groundwater, tell you what, that stuff is arcane and mysterious. We have here locally the San Antonio water district, and it's only apparent claim to fame is that they own a ditch, arroyo, or what the hell you want to call it, a catchment basin that does a very good job of collecting and percolating all surface water for miles around.

Then, the city of Upland, one of several, charges residents based on usage. Nothing revolutionary there, but as we water the grass, that water gravitates to city pumps which collects it recycled, in storage for the next time. I just got my bill a couple days ago and although I don't remember the amount, I did notice that they are telling me I should only water on Tuesdays and Thursdays... and any day that starts with "T", except tomorrow.

Getting back to the San Antonio Water District. This area used to be agricultural, almost exclusively citrus groves. The system was set up well over a hundred years ago and basically, it takes advantage of snow melt. I'm just thinking that whoever is SAWD has been making a comfortable living for several generations and I suspect hardly anyone knows who exactly profits from that astute purchase?

The move, "Chinatown" dealt with delivery of water to Los Angeles from several hundred miles away. It's a good one and well worth your time, if you haven't seen it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31342 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2015 09:18 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw on the news that y'all are gonna start drinking toilet water.

Problem solved. [Smile]

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2015 10:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, mandatory. Just takes a little getting used to. The taste is said to be comparable to Coors? I'm in the minority but I think it's more like Corona.

Oh, and because this is Liberal Land, there's a quota, one gallon per day per citizen, no exceptions!

Vic, how much, bottom line?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2015 11:20 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
My B-I-L lives in Wichita Falls, TX, and from what I understand, they have been recycling their turd water for about 3 years now.

Needless to say, they don't drink the tap water.

If I am not mistaken, did TR say he was a 'turd farmer'?...maybe he can shine some light on this process...

[ June 02, 2015, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2015 11:43 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard from a reliable source that Aquafina bottled water is turd water. I just can't get used to that and won't.

ElBee, Coors is pure horse piss, close but probably not the same.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2015 01:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Even if it's free, even if it's one hundred degrees in the shade, I would decline an ice cold Coors. Not to be rude, I just find it undrinkable. Actually, I'm kinda fussy about beer and IPA.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2015 02:59 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
if a guy thinks about it, lots of people already drink someone else's "turd" water. I mean after all, if there is a population of people that live upstream of you, chances are they is a wastewater treatment plant that treats their turd water, and then they discharge the treated water into the nearest creek where it flows downstream and to the next town where they pull the water out, treat it with a little chlorine and send to through pipes to someone's house, then they flush it, and the process starts all over again.
SO, be sure to live at the head of the creek! [Wink]
Yes, I do this for a living. And quite honestly, the treatment plant that I work at puts out the cleanest water in the state. Just the process that we use, and many plants are now having to make upgrades in order to meat the new regulations that are coming down the pike. We already exceed the new regs. Who ever built this treatment plant was ahead of the time.
I could go to the drinking fountain and fill a glass of water and dip a glass of water out of our effluent and you'd not be able to guess which was which.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2015 03:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's about time somebody got realistic. St. Louis is downstream from Minneapolis and then New Orleans etc. Probably other cities along the way, I don't know but that Budweiser is brewed with recycled water. Suddenly, I remember that Olympia used to advertise the fact that they use artesian well water for their beer.

I also remember a survey a while back rating the quality and taste of water. The New York City municipal tap water was judged the best, I shit you not!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted June 02, 2015 06:07 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't the slogan for Oly , "It's The Water And A Lot More" ?
The best beer I've ever drank was Coors Original, it was delivered in refrigerated trailers " back then". These days I've been known to take a pull on an ice cold Miller Lite or 2 when I get the urge.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2015 03:19 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I still filter our tap water thru a Brita filter to drink it. Word is, NY pizza is superior due to our water??? Dunno if that's a fact, but our pizza is incomparable, no doubt about that...

Up @ the farm, there's an artesian well that runs 24/7/365. The water is wonderfully palatable!
We've got it plumbed thru a 2nd faucet in the kitchen sink & just leave it runnin'. When the cold hits, I put a shot of rubber hose over the spigot and down thru the sink drain & got heat tape wrapped around the drain pipe to keep it from freezing over. Nice to have running water when the rest of the place has been winterized...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2015 04:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A small confession. I hate water. At least, drinking water. I am big on juice, especially orange juice, but I can't remember the last glass of water I drank, which was probably bottled anyway?

Nancy always had a glass of ice water, all day long. My father loved water, lot's of people do, but not me. It's rare but every once in a while, I find someone like me, won't drink water.

Some old guy told me many years ago that if I didn't drink water, I would certainly have trouble with my kidneys. I will risk it. I have never understood the deliciousness? My girlfriend buys bottled water, but not just any, has to be from Walgreens, because it tastes good? Water is water, to me?

Good hunting. El Bee

PS closed escrow yesterday, in Yucca Valley. Need to start moving

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2015 06:14 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the move Leonard!

I'm a water drinker, m'self. Don't that often drink anything else. Except for my morning coffee, it's the only thing I drink on most given days. Pretty big differences in taste, depending on source. Our well water in Caliente is about the best I've ever tasted, anywhere.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2015 07:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a very nice place you have in Caliente. Just looking at location, I would believe the water to be extremely good quality.

On the other hand, up in northern Canada, where Albert used to live, his well water was completely undrinkable, suitable only for bathing and maybe washing dishes, flushing etc. I think he said it was less than twenty feet deep, but the color was like rust.

The move only concerns some "stuff". This will be a second home, I'm not quite ready to sell Upland and relocate.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 6 posted June 03, 2015 05:35 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoy your time in Yucca Valley, Leonard. I'll have to look it up, sounds like a cool place.
Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2015 02:16 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, been kinda wanting a good IPA ever since you mentioned them the other day. So I grabbed a six-er of Dogfish Head 60minute IPA on the way home.

Raising a glass and wishing the best for you & your new digs!!!

[ June 05, 2015, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2015 05:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, I had a half a hunch that I should spell it out, maybe some of these guys might not know what the hell "India Pale Ale" is?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: and, yes, this is my first day in these new digs, talk about disorganized? "somebody" outsmarted herself by having the electric shut off at the other place, without having cleaned out the refrigerator. Ice cream is soup. Other than that we are chillin'. This is going to be her house, I will only be here part time.

[ June 05, 2015, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters