The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Living Here Doesn't Suck!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Living Here Doesn't Suck!
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2015 08:20 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
I decided last night after work that I would hike all the way to the top of the large butte that the town I live in is named after. Last time I went up there I only made it to the rock belt that encircles the butte. This time I wanted to make it all the way to the top. So I whistled for my pup "Bear" and we headed out.

You think he likes going on hikes?
 -

Here is what the butte looks like from near the base. I thought it was cool the moon was out. From my house to the top of the butte is just under 3 miles. So it's just under a 6 mile round trip hike. It's also a 1146 foot elevation gain. So it's a half way decent calorie burner.
 -

Once we were near the top the wind really picked up. Here's Bear trying to keep himself from getting blown off the rock he's standing on.
 -

Once on top the views were something else. I could see three different mountain ranges. Here is a view of the Little Belt Mountains. The very triangle shaped mountain on the far left is called Wolf Butte and is over 40 miles away. The butte I'm standing on and Wolf Butte is where the Native American's would send up smoke signals to each other in order to regroup if their party was separated in some way.
 -

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2015 08:25 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, doesn't suck at all!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2015 08:27 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Then as I turn around I see this mountain range called the Highwood Mountains. I have spent a ton of time coyote hunting all over this country.
 -

Here's another area I hunt quite a bit. I thought maybe some of you would enjoy a view of the kind of country I lay a lot of boot tracks in. Drag a lot of coyotes out of this stuff as well. [Smile]
 -

Here, Bear and I are starting out descent back down.
 -

As I took this final photo from our hike, I looked around me and decided...Living here really doesn't suck. The scenery is easy on the eyes, the people are great, and the hunting/fishing is beyond most outdoorsman's dreams. I've been here over 20 years and it just never gets old.
 -

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2015 08:28 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
What beauty, and what a great pic of the pup! With all of that green grass, do you have a tick problem, Troy?

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2015 08:31 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Ticks galore, and they do SUCK! Lots of rattle snakes as well.
cornstalker
PACKS AROUND WAY TOO MUCH SHIT, AND ADMITS IT
Member # 4593

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2015 09:15 AM      Profile for cornstalker           Edit/Delete Post 
What a beautiful place. That don't look like it sucks at all.
Posts: 35 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged
JP
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4095

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2015 10:24 AM      Profile for JP           Edit/Delete Post 
It's only been two weeks since you posted his first picture, looks like he is growing like a weed. Great pictures and I feel the same way about Arizona as you do about Montana.

Thank you for the breeders name and phone number.

Posts: 150 | From: So AZ | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2015 11:05 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
JP, I lived in Arizona for 10 years of my life and you have every right to feel that way. It's a great state. It was even better before all the illegal invasion from the southern border and population explosion in Phoenix, but there are still plenty of wonderful places one can escape to down there.
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2015 12:39 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool !! Awesome in fact. Dang fine lookin' pup ya got there BTW..

I was trying to tell from the pic's. Ya'll grow wheat up there ?

Maybe somebody could use a good JD combine parts guy up there.. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Z
Member # 303

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2015 12:52 PM      Profile for Z   Author's Homepage   Email Z         Edit/Delete Post 
Ursus, I envy you. For my job I had to move to Utah 2 1/2 years ago. All I can say is yuck compared to where I used to hunt coyotes in Montana. Used to live in Great Falls and have hunted all over the area you showed pictures of. Shot a few not very far from Belt last year when I was up to hunt with my brother who lives in Great Falls. They were usually shot while we were elk or goose hunting. Still have a lot of places I can hunt up there, but it is a long drive. I spend two weeks of my vacation time every year up there hunting coyotes. Oh, how my heart aches for home.

It is good to see the green as the hills start to green up. Love the pup. I wish I had one of those too. Would have one if I still lived in Montana.

[ May 01, 2015, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Z ]

Posts: 51 | From: Bluffdale, UT | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2015 04:55 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
good stuff Troy. Now if the wind didn't blow as often as it does up there, I might be a little envious. [Wink]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2015 06:57 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Z you are living your life in reverse of mine. I started out in Utah and migrated to Montana. I love it up here. While I still enjoy visiting my family in Utah each year, I sure don't miss the state. I only have to be on I-15 between Ogden and Provo for about 5 seconds and I start hating the place all over again. Z, so who do you know in the Highwoods up near the cemetery you mentioned in another post a few months ago? I'm guessing either Todd or Paul? Both great guys for sure.

TRnCO, you are right the wind is terrible. However it's supposed to be really good this evening. I hope I can whistle up a coyote or two.

Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2015 10:25 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
That's beautiful scenery and great pictures of that pup. Good looking dog.
Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2015 12:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It sure is! Beautiful!

And, the pup is gorgeous! He has a very obvious zest for life.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2015 02:06 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
My dog is crushed Leonard. The best he could get out of you was "that's an odd looking animal", Now your fawning over a different bob-tailed, hound eared pup, dropping a "gorgeous" on it.
I'll give my dog the nod to "heel" you when we next meet:)

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2015 03:50 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It's worse than you think, Vic.
I'm pretty sure that a photo was taken of El Bee at the last camp-out sitting on a tailgate with his arm around a PIT BULL !!!!

[Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2015 03:58 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
"and an AR15 in 223, along with the pitbull", well that's what I heard.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2015 04:01 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Why yes, I believe that there was an AR there on the scene. We see El Bee with one so often that it gets overlooked.

[Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 04, 2015 07:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I call 'em like I see 'em, Victor.

Your dog is a fine looking animal next to Paul's, that has a permanent bump on the top of his head about the size of an apricot. All he/she needs is a propeller!

But, I will bring a treat with me....if I EVER GET INVITED AGAIN?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: all the above is pure lies. Damned lies, almost statistics!

[ May 04, 2015, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters