The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Hey Where'd He Go?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey Where'd He Go?!
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2015 12:41 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
So I go for a hike with my new mountain cur puppy nearly every afternoon. I roam a lot of country with him looking for shed antlers. However, pretty much everywhere around here is coyote country so I'm always on the look out for them, both in terms of scouting and making sure they don't get my pup. So yesterday we were working our way up a draw. I'm watching him bouncing along ahead of me when all of the sudden "boomp" (technical word)he's gone. I'm like; "where'd he go?" I mean he was only 50 feet or so in front of me. So I quicken my step and run up to where I last saw him. The little bugger is a couple feet down the entrance to a coyote den that I did not know was there. It's a fresh active den judging by all the fresh dirt and footprints around the mouth of the den. Fortunately he came right out when I called his name. The last thing I needed was him getting killed a couple feet underground by a PO'ed pair of adult coyotes. As it turned out I was really pleased he found the den. I marked it down for later reference, and I will lay odds right now that I end up killing one or both coyotes off that den. So it's all good. I didn't get a photo of him around the den. I didn't want to let fart around it too much. I sure did praise him for finding the den though. I was proud of him and I think he was pretty proud of hisownself. [Smile]
 -

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2015 01:04 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of people training dogs to find sheds.
Any luck with that ??

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7510 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2015 02:02 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Not yet, but he sure love to chew on the sheds I have at home. He also like to carry them for a while each time I find one. So maybe he will get there eventually. [Smile]
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2015 02:42 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
He is a fluffy furry little rascal.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters