The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Compare and Comment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Compare and Comment
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 01:10 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
A couple years ago I drew a coyote. I thought I had it finished a couple of times, but I was never 100% satisfied with it. Anyway, I finally broke out the original and spent the better part of this week re-working it. Mostly I thinned it out and spent more time on the hair detail/texture. Plus a few other subtle changes like the expression on the face. Anyway boys, let me know if I'm at least getting warmer? I will post what it looked like first and what it looks like now below it, so you can compare.

First version:
 -

Re-worked version:
 -

[ April 22, 2015, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: ursus21 ]

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 02:54 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Im at odds with your task for us. I can't hardly draw a passable stick figure, much less come close to your talent. That makes for a feeble attempt to critique work and technique I know nothing about?
The only possible qualifier I could have is, that I have seen a few thousand coyotes, from various angles and distances, so in my mind I know what they should look like, but I could never put that on canvas or paper like you do.
I will say this much; because you did ask for comment, the only part of that coyote which makes me tilt my head, is the face.
The left side of drawing looks right, but the right side has a flatness or lack of depth? Hard to explain, obviously, because I sure as hell don't know how you artists create that and pull out the features, but there is just something about the face for me.
There, I was the first to comment, and almost feel like an asshole for doing so. You do pretty solid work, I wish I had a tenth of your talent. That's my opinion, which of course, is worth every cent you paid for it.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 03:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see some merit in what Vic said, but as far as I am concerned, it's all about proportions. In my opinion, the head is just slightly too small for my taste. And, no, I don't favor the expression on the face.

Other than that, the texture of the fur is pretty amazing. And, I have had a few art classes, in hs and college, so I'm not an expert, but understand layout and composition, and in this case execution, which is outstanding.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: looking at it again, perhaps it's the ears are a little too large proportionately?

[ April 22, 2015, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 04:09 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Faces are tough. Ask pretty much EVERY taxidermist. I'm like the previous 2, I find it difficult to critique something I couldn't do in my wildest imagination. Faces are tough.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Duckdog
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 07:17 PM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it looks great and I'd be proud to frame it and hang it in a highly visible area...
Need my address? [Wink]

I like both versions, but for some reason, I like the "glow" of the "before" pic.

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 09:20 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the posture.. Very nice..

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2015 06:39 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
All good comments, thank you. I don't care whether you are an art expert or not. I posted this here because you guys know coyotes.
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2015 07:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Okay, understand, this is all constructive criticism.

First the body. I think the girth is a little too much, and I don't care for the sway back.

As far as the pose, I would tilt the head another 5% face on to be looking directly at whatever has caught his attention. At the same time I would drop the angle slightly so that you don't have to deal with the contours of the mouth; the Mona Lisa Smile. In other words, the eyes should be piercing and looking directly at (us) for lack of a better description? What I see as unnatural is the eyes are looking at (us) but the muzzle is slightly angled.

This may be artist license, in other words, you intended this to be so, but (again) to me, it's slightly unnatural.

I could quibble about the length of the body, proportionally, but this may be a male conformation? In other words, in canids generally, a female is slightly longer in body than is a male; in proportion, not absolute size.

I still think you have made the ears a little too large and I would go back to the first version, although I appreciate the texture used in the second version, as relates to the ears.

Other than that, I think it's great. No, really, I do. You know, Da Vinci reworked the Mona Lisa; so just about any artistic rendering can be improved upon.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2015 08:55 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know, Da Vinci reworked the Mona Lisa; so just about any artistic rendering can be improved upon.

Troy,
I was just culturified on our trip to Europe and happened to get to see the Mona Lisa in the Louvre..I sure wasn't impressed...I know you are not Da Vinci, but he sure isn't no Troy, either! [Big Grin]

I have the unworked print that looks down at me in my reloading room, and I couldn't be more happy with it the way it is!

But what do I know about art?.....

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2015 04:28 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, a great pic. As a taxidermist, I have the same eye you have for juxtaposition and detail. At least, I like to think so. First off, the angles are all pretty much spot on. There is actually a series of specific angles as to how the cant of the ears, the angle of the eyes, and the muzzle and nose all relate to one another. But, I think I know why the face is throwing a couple guys. The line of the muzzle coming down off the inner corner of the coyote's left eye is too abrupt and distinct, and it's off-centered compared to the other side. Maybe if you feather that transition a bit, because the eyes are the right size, as are the ears, IMO, although a coyote with that much fur is gonna have smaller looking ears. I will say this,.... and Troy will definitely agree.

When I'm working on a mount - or more accurately back when I did this work and was working on a mount - the angles all come together like a musical chord. when you get it right, it's a matter of pure harmony. At that point, you feel it. When something isn't right, the whole image resonates off key just a little and sometimes it's hard to put your finger on what is and isn't perfect. And sometimes, tweaking it only makes it worse.

I used to hang finished deer mounts where they could be seen from the dinner table when waiting for a customer to pick them up. My wife noticed that I always spent a ridiculous amount of time critiquing my own work. I will give you the same advice she gave me: "It doesn't look like a buffalo, just like it's not supposed to. Eat your dinner."

Overall, great pic. Be careful with it.

[ April 23, 2015, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters