The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Resurgence of the Tomahawk (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Resurgence of the Tomahawk
cornstalker
PACKS AROUND WAY TOO MUCH SHIT, AND ADMITS IT
Member # 4593

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2015 09:33 PM      Profile for cornstalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it could just be me, but it seems that the tomahawk is enjoying a cultural revitalization. It's like they are popping up everywhere. Tactical tomahawks, bushcraft tomahawks, handcrafted Swiss carbon "Wetterlings".

I even read acclaims that special ops guys were using them in CQB in Iraq.

Hell, you can chop down a tree, gut a deer, and smell the breath of your foe as you vanquish him with a tomahawk. What's not to like?

Seems rather unwieldy and impractical. Even for the guy who packs around way too much shit.

I want one....

[ April 21, 2015, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: cornstalker ]

Posts: 35 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 03:33 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I carry a hatchet on the 4 wheeler and one in the truck, both have seen some use. I carry a big Gerber machete type knife with a hook on the end that has seen tons of use, way more useful.

A tomahawk would be a pain to chop down a tree, clear brush or even split kindling. I have no desire to smell my enemies breath and impale him with one, I'd rather use a pistol. I just don't get it.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 04:39 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If you get to looking there's been some type of hatchet-tomahawk used in just about every country for hand to hand combat in the past. Must be something to it, I just don't see it either. I'm with Tom a axe with a 3' handle or a machete.
Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
cornstalker
Member # 4593

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 05:38 AM      Profile for cornstalker           Edit/Delete Post 
It would definitely be a novelty item.

I have one of the little plastic handled Gerber camp axes and it is great for splitting kindling. That's about all I use it for. When I first got it I used it to split the sternum on an elk. All I accomplished was hacking the bone into a line of razor sharp shards. Wrecked the edge on the hatchet too.

Oh yeah, I did execute some chickens with it once. Way too messy. Went quickly back to wringing.

The price that some of these Tomahawks sell for is ridiculous. They look cool, but I ain't gonna buy one. Too impractical.

So this brings up a question. If one is to use a Tomahawk for CQB, does one have to train with it? Set aside the pistol and the knife and train with the hatchet until it becomes a natural extension of the arm? Seems rather silly to me.

[ April 22, 2015, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: cornstalker ]

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 06:41 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 07:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have this mental image of Mel Gibson being castrated with a tomahawk.

Anyway, I have in one of the side compartments of my truck, three things that have been there for ten years. A shovel, tire cables and a fibreglass handled axe.

Of course, I have other stuff but actually the shovel and axe are a requirement for shooting at our gun range, which is private, but on National Forest Land.

Actually, I think some of these sog type tomahawks are kinda bad ass. Don't know how I have managed this long without one? No, don't expect me to break down and get one.

In the most recent L.L. Bean hunting catalogue, they have a tomahawk type of axe with a hickory handle. It's about $80. It would take forever to chop down a fair size tree, but as the ad points out, the hammer on the back side is useful for pounding tent pegs....while looking bad ass.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 07:54 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A high `Cool Factor` but in the real world.....not so much.
Maybe sitting around camp throwing one at playing cards on the side of a stump but beyond that there are better tools.

Memo to Paul; Replace horseshoe pits with knife / 'hawk backstops for the Campout.

[Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 09:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
^ says a guy prone to hurling pointed sticks from some sort of stringed contraption.

But, if "Cool Factor" floats your boat, I am all for it.

No really. Think about it for a minute. Shortly after the contact period began, the natives were highly impressed with steel tomahawks. If you can believe the movies, they didn't use them for chopping down trees, it was understood as a weapon. Then, you put a pipe on the other end, as an "app" and in it's day, it was more popular than an iphone.

I'm not going to argue about the lethality of a tomahawk. If in close quarters, would you rather have a hunting knife or a tomahawk? Never mind, I know the answer.

And, in those days, everybody had one, every indian, Davy Crocket and Daniel Boone. Must have had some sort of utility? That's what some deranged guy used against armed police officers in NYC, and he put a hurtin' on them before taking a bullet.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I just happened to think about it. Upstairs in my man cave, I have a reproduction tomahawk with a pipe. Hmm?

[ April 22, 2015, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 09:33 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Think I'll pass over the 'hawk, in favor of this...
 -

-

[ April 22, 2015, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 10:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen both The Flying Guillotine and Kill Bill. I am unsure which is more believable?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 10:42 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
ho-lee-chit, Leonard! Just had a flashback to my youth...I remember watching that movie on a Saturday afternoon. Crazy flick, surely it's on utube...

YEP here it is!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 04:07 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the design and draw of a tomahawk is the balance and light weight when used in a fight when you done shot all your pointed sticks. Chopping down a tree with one I'm sure never crossed their minds. (Speaking of Injuns of course)

My ex was an injun and her dad collected lot's of arrowheads along with flint knives and other tools. He did have a real tomahawk head that he affixed to a deer leg bone, wrapped in leather and stuck a feather on it. It was cool but you wasn't cutting down no trees with it.

I did find a head that resembled an axe but was more blunt on each end. He said it was for bashing heads.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2015 04:14 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I would be glad to have one if I was out of magazines. That is all.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2015 05:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Magazines? Please explain?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

cornstalker
Member # 4593

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2015 07:54 AM      Profile for cornstalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I think he is talking about magazines for his Springfield XD.

Just guessin' though.

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2015 08:19 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"Says a guy prone to hurling pointed sticks from some sort of stringed contraption."

Uh, El Bee..........
The Damon Howat Super Diablo with it's elegant recurved limbs and clean lines is most certainly NOT some sort of stringed contraption !!!!!

[Eek!]

Form, function and craftsmanship make it a thing of beauty to those with the skill to master it.

[Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2015 09:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Objection noted, koko.

There was no intent to offend.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2015 12:02 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you.
My stringed contraptions all feel better now.

[Smile]

Big tournament coming up in a couple of weeks at Simi Valley. Can't wait !!!!!!

[Cool]

--------------------

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2015 03:44 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, yes, Chad is correct. Not the reading kind.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2015 04:40 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Love SOG shit. Don't have a hatchet/ tomahawk, but I do have a SOG Kukri knife and yes, it is bad ass. Kinda like a short machete on crack. Razor-assed sharp. Use it for clearing brush. Don't know if it requires any training, but I'm betting if you came at me with nothing but your hands, you and I would both get learned up really quickly. LOL

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DarbinCo
Member # 4590

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2015 06:21 AM      Profile for DarbinCo   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Chad,
If you don't have a tomahawk your completely unprepared for the coming zombie apocalypse!

-

Posts: 16 | From: Western Colorado | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged
DarbinCo
Member # 4590

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2015 06:26 AM      Profile for DarbinCo   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy shit.. I just googled those!

450 bucks..... Yikes!

Posts: 16 | From: Western Colorado | Registered: Mar 2015  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2015 06:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Lance. Don't forget, every time you remove it from your scabbard, you must draw blood, even if it is your own. I always wondered what those little notches were for, close to the handle? Anyway, it's probably 75% show, makes you look really smart. When you get right down to it, they are very heavy, Aside from intimidating, what can you really do with it, other than cut some bush? lol

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2015 08:25 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Good ol' fashion zombie protection here at the shop. They work equally well on crackheads & other street talent...
 -

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2015 09:49 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been told, by a couple military buddies, that you get a lot of respect (from the local population) if you are carrying one of those on your hip over in ragheadville.
Comes in handy for busting out car windows, flattening tires, and other cool shit.
Cant imagine it being comfortable to carry much though?

Mark

[ April 24, 2015, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters