The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » New Puppy and Long Walks...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Puppy and Long Walks...
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2015 07:04 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
The town I live in is called "Belt" it is named after a belt-like rock formation that encircles a large butte near town. To reach the belt around the butte is about a 5 mile hike from my front door. Since moving here I have wanted to hike up to the belt around the butte and see it for myself. I finally got all the different land owners between my house and the butte to agree to let me hike in there. So yesterday along with my youngest son Hunter and my new mountain cur puppy "Bear" we headed out.

Here I am with bear. The butte is in the background. I love spending time outdoors with this little guy. He's hell on the house, but great in the hills. We still have a mile or so to go to reach the "belt".
 -

Here Bear and I are standing on top of part of the rock formation. That little puppy is fearless and will climb anything.
 -

Bear and I from another angle taking a little break before we start our decent back out.
 -
My youngest son Hunter as we work our way back down off the butte. The rock "belt" formation can be easily seen in the back ground.
 -

All in all it was a fun hike and quality time spent with my son and the new puppy. Here is a photo of the butte as we looked back. We still had over a mile to go before reaching home and we had to hurry as the sun was going down quickly along with the temperatures. We made it home fine and I'm not even sore today. So I'm a happy 50 year old fat man. [Smile]
 -

One last pic of me heading for home. As a side note hikes like this do a body good. Trying to keep up with my puppy has been even better. I've lost 15 lbs in the last few weeks largely due to trying to keep up with the little bugger.
 -

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2015 07:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good post! Enjoy your pup!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31263 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2015 07:45 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Troy,
Certainly God's country! Nice looking son and cute puppy!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2015 07:57 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
So................What exactly is the belt ??
A layer of sediment ??
Ancient ocean bottom ??
Volcanic flow ??
K-T Boundary ??
I see stuff like this in my wanderings and wish that I had a geologist on call.

Sounds like you had a great day !!

[Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7480 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2015 08:12 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Koko, I'm not sure what causes rock formations like that. This particular belt actually goes all the way around the butte. I've seen similar formations, but usually they peter out or only run for a hundred yards or so. I was surprised that when I got right up close to it that the rocks are so evenly stacked that it almost appears man-made, but it is not. On an interesting side note this butte can be seen for well over 100 miles. There is another butte called Wolf Butte that is 45 miles further east. Anyway, back in the day the local Indians used to use these two buttes as gathering points when their party's would get split up for some reason. They would go to the top of these buttes and send up a smoke signal, and then their tribe would know where they were and re-group. Well at least I find stuff like that interesting anyway.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2015 09:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm neither a "doctor" nor a geologist. But I did take geology as a lab science, years ago.

They say that the Great Salt Lake is the last remnant of the inland sea that covered much of the Great basin. So far as I know, there was quite a sedimentary layer left behind as all that water subsided because the Sierra's and Rocky Mountains were rising and forcing the water to be absorbed or retreated into the (more or less) current coastline.

So, that belt is just basically solidified mud compacted over millenniums and that's what it's called; "sedimentary rock" as opposed to Igneous (granite) or volcanic, (lava) and others like those that change due to pressure, like the felspars, diamonds, etc.

Normally this sedimentary rock is buried on top of continental bedrock, but due to seismic activity and the forces that cause mountains to form, some of it is pushed up and exposed. I have seen a lot of it in Texas, basically right on the surface.

Just casual talk, I could be all wet on some of it, but anyway, I think that's where you get the belt and similar formations in other places.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ April 17, 2015, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2015 03:00 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thus, there should be marine fossils and indian artifacts in the same area.
It may not put more critters in the back of the truck but it's still cool stuff to know.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7480 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2015 05:06 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there is a commercial enterprise in central Nevada that lets you pound slate and keep all the fossils you find for something like ten bucks a day. Yes, in flagstone, or any sedimentary layers, fossil remains are always a possibility.

But, if I caught you "prospecting" with a hammer, I might drive off and leave you alone! Fair warning.

No, I'm just kidding, I don't mind farting around with rocks and artifacts. Just ask our friend Dave, (DAA) when we stayed in his father's place in Caliente, all four of us spent some time searching and picking up shards and obsidian. It's just like hunting coyotes, if they ain't there, you can't call them. But, if you stumble across some stuff, by all means, do some picking.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JP
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4095

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2015 08:08 AM      Profile for JP           Edit/Delete Post 
Would you mind telling me what kennel that pup came from, sure is a nice looking dog. Is his tail docked?

Nice country and another fine looking young man you are raising.

Posts: 150 | From: So AZ | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2015 10:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
And, while you're at it, I'm curious about something sticking out on the left side, above the belt, in below pic?

-

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: also, while I'm thinking of it; what's in that fanny pack? I "hope" I know?

[ April 18, 2015, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2015 04:35 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
JP, Cal Allen out of Arizona. Yes, the puppy was bor n with a docked tail.

Leonard, that is the tip top of a lone Cedar tree. The only thing in the fanny pack was water, but soon I will have to carry a pistol once all the stupid buzzwords start showing up.

JP
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4095

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2015 04:50 PM      Profile for JP           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, would it be possible for you to give me an address, phone number, web site any thing that would help me get in touch with him?
Posts: 150 | From: So AZ | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2015 05:50 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
JP, probably the best way to get a hold of him is to call him in the evening. Here's Cal's number:
928-769-1527

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2015 06:15 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Good looking country. We have the same belts here in Kansas in the Flint Hills. They are called limestone breaks and were created as Leonard suggested. You see the big green grass-covered hills with this white belt around them created from the remains of millions and millions of dead see creatures. Mucho fossils in there.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2015 11:29 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard is probably right in his evaluation of how the "belt" was formed. There very well may be fossils in it as well. However between now and until the snow flies again I'm pretty sure one would find more rattle snakes than anything. With that fact, count me as not interested in looking!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters