The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » As Good As It Gets...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: As Good As It Gets...
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2015 01:01 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes the stars align just right and things go exceptionally well. My oldest son brought his fiancé up here to Montana for the weekend. She had never been here before and wanted to see why we love it her so much. It didn't take too long for her to figure it out, and she wants to move here as soon as they graduate. Can't say I blame her.

Anyway, yesterday I took my son the Missouri River system and let him give those finicky rainbow trout a whirl. He got into fly fishing a year ago and has the fly fishing fever bad. He did really well and totally kicked my butt. For that matter he kicked just about everyone' butt on the MO yesterday. He had other fly fishermen coming up to him and asking: "What the heck are you using and what are you doing different?" For whatever reason he had the trout dialed in yesterday. Here he is with the largest fish of the day. Maybe not a MONSTER, but a darn solid rainbow trout in my opinion. I lost count of how many fish he caught, but I can tell you the smallest one was 17" long.
 -

This morning we decided to fish closer to home. Yesterday my son's fiancé spent the day with my daughters while we fished the MO, but today she wanted to come along. I have a super top secret place I basically only take family or a very close friend. If word got out it would be destroyed in no time. The fishing isn't good in terms of numbers, but the odds of catching a really nice fish is pretty good. However, the fish are super spooking and it can be a real challenge to get anything to bite. We only landed two brown trout, but if you are going to only catch "two" I'd say these are the right two!

Here is my future daughter in law with her first Montana brown trout. It might take her a while to beat this one.
 -

Here is the happy couple with her purty fishy.
 -

Not to be outdone, but son came right back just a few minutes later and landed this beautiful big brown. It's girth was 13.5" around. He made the comment: "Heck, the girth on that fish is the average size of the length of the fish I catch in Utah." That made us both smile. It has been a great weekend. We are now going to all kick back, relax, and fire up the BBQ for the evening. Family, fishing, and BBQ, for me anyway, life doesn't get much better!
 -

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2015 03:13 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Good lookin' couple. Incredibly beautiful country. Now, if I can just get the wife talked into going back,........

TANGENT WARNING: Many folks know I'm a prepper. Not the black helicopter kind, but smart enough to stock a few things. For years, the wife has tolerated me. Stockpiling grub and such. While back, we were at Sam's Club and we normally buy this huge bail of butt wipe paper. I skipped it. She suggested we buy some - "Never have too much." I was curious now. Last week, she bought a different brand of smokes - bought a carton - and didn't like them. Found them downstairs with the grain mill, emergency radio, and food stores. She told me she didn't like them, "but who knows. We may be able to trade them for something if we have to." Toilet paper, cigs, coffee, and beer. Top four barter items you can have. She's coming along. Now, if I can just convince her to bug out to MT or ID, I'll have done my best.

Gotta go vacuum seal those cigarettes. BRB

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2015 04:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, for a first fish, it don't really get any better than that! And, the lady looks like a keeper, too!

Lance, I found out a lot about "Smokers" by watching WATERWORLD ! haha

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters