The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » A DAY IN THE LIFE...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A DAY IN THE LIFE...
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted April 09, 2015 01:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
...of a senior citizen.

First of all, I had to pick up my watches at the jewelers, so hit the showers bright and early, about 10:30.

Immediately, practically had a heart attack, there was a fucking ROACH in the damned shower, and he came at me! PANIC !
This is your standard Oriental Cockroach, or as some people call them, waterbugs. First one I have seem this year, and how did he get in the house and in my shower? Dispatched with my trusty Fuller Brush.

As I headed out the door, I "luckily" noticed that there were three letters laying on the chair by the door. Uh Oh! Damn, one of them is a check for my property tax and it must be postmarked by tomorrow to avoid penalties. So, I grabbed them because the mail on my route has recently been changed to "especially undependable" from, you never know, but usually very late. I figured, there must be a mail box over at the mall and looked but didn't see one?

So, I went in the market and bought all the stuff I needed then headed to the jewelers. But, my stuff apparently wasn't ready, although they didn't tell me that? So, I waited while they changed three batteries and left.

Next stop, the post office which must be a mile, maybe a mile and a half away? While driving, I looked and noticed that there isn't a mail box on every corner, like there used to be? WTF?
So, I dropped off my letters with a sigh of relief because it will bear the necessary postmark.

And, decided to stop by Walmar on the way home. Why? Because I forgot a couple things at Stater bros so I browsed the isles and got some more stuff.

Then, I had an impulse for chinese. I'm rather fond of #134 at the local venue....which, by the way, is three shops down from the jewelers, where I started earlier. As I opened the door, I looked right at a U.S. Mail box around the corner. DUH !
And, another thing, chinese establishments are cheapskates. I asked for soy sauce because I remembered that the bottle at home was almost empty. She gave me one more, making a total of two for an order that I have never eaten in one sitting. Well, I wasn't going to beg.

So, now I got home in time to watch The Five and eat my noodles.

I will probably go out and water, while I still can. Life is good.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31495 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2015 01:44 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You're livin' the dream there El Bee.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7593 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2015 06:50 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
A check? I haven't had a check book in over 20 years. I didn't think anyone uses them any longer?
I'll trump your shitty day for a week of my last five days.
Septic tank backed up, had to use two shovels, one to dig two shovels full of clay muck, the other to clean it off to repeat....over and over and over. Two days to finally uncover the lid, get it pryed up and use a sump pump to draw it down.
Was so full of liquified solids my pump wouldn't draw it down and had to pony up 350 bucks for the septic guy to do it. Had planned to suck it down to a foot or so, then use scoop shovel and five gallon bucket to clean it slick to floor.....no go.
Leach line was semi plugged with solids, so I used muriatic acid, five gallons drizzled the length of the leach field pipe thru a garden hose....running like a clock now.
Your living the dream Leonard....you could have been up to your elbows in shit, instead of hunting a watch battery.

Posts: 1634 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2015 07:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'm living the dream, if the alternative is up to my ass in septic tank shit. I would call somebody for some chores, I admit it.

I use checks for some transactions, no apology. In fact, I write two or three checks every month for companies that my bill pay service doesn't recognize, including the pool man and for yard service.

Why am I explaining? You are just picking on me because I live in The People's Republik!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: and if I move to AZ, you will pick on me because I am FROM The People's Republik!

[ April 09, 2015, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2015 11:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just thinking, no sympathy! And, do not forget, I was actually ATTACKED by a vicious insect!

And, I am a veteran, after all. Where's the respect? Huh?

Twenty years, no checks? I guess we know who pays the bills, right Dorothee?

Okay, back to bed. LB out

edit: one more thing! I had OCCASION to discuss a financial transaction with someone, a while ago. It was an education on my part. Did you know that you can use your debit card with impunity even if you haven't a dime in the account? I was told, (however) that there are laws concerning bad checks, that can get your ass tossed in the cooler....which is why deadbeats avoid using them. Just sayin'

[ April 09, 2015, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2015 06:48 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
edit: one more thing! I had OCCASION to discuss a financial transaction with someone, a while ago. It was an education on my part. Did you know that you can use your debit card with impunity even if you haven't a dime in the account? I was told, (however) that there are laws concerning bad checks, that can get your ass tossed in the cooler....which is why deadbeats avoid using them. Just sayin'

Debit cards can be a real pain in the ass if you are a banker. Everything runs in real time...for example, if you go to a merchant and purchase $500 in goods, when you run your debit card, it goes out into the ether, checks your balance and confirms there is at least that much in your account...if so, transaction goes through no problem.

If there isn't enough money, transaction is denied.

Here is where the merchants game the system and become sneaky bastards. I don't see how this is legal, but it obviously must be. Some of the larger retailers have their systems set up to only verify if there is at least $1 in the account, if so, transaction goes through.

Example...person walks to the counter with $500 in goods at local big box store...runs debit card, system checks for $1 in account, and if so, bingo! transaction approved.

Here is the rub...say customer only has $50 in the account...verification showed $1, but transaction comes through for $500...customer ends up overdrawn $450.

BANK IS STUCK FOR THE MONEY! We can't send back debit card transactions that have been 'verified' by merchant, EVEN IF it isn't for the full amount.

Our bank has lost money on transactions like this. This is why we do due diligence before handing out debit cards, and don't do so to people with bad credit.

If the system goes off line for some reason, EVERY debit card transaction goes through regardless of the amount of the transaction. We have been caught in rare circumstances of this happening over a weekend, and gotten hosed by a couple of deadbeats.

As another FYI, you should never use your debit card to purchase something on the internet. Credit card transactions can be disputed if you don't get your merchandise, but debit cards, (almost 99% of the time), can't be disputed, and your are screwed if you don't get the stuff you ordered.

[ April 10, 2015, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2015 08:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, booger. My statement about not having a "dime" in your account is inaccurate, but the basic facts are true. It's amazing.

Well, it was a hard lesson for me, but I gained a perspective on plastic, in general.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2015 09:51 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
A few weeks ago I picked up my dad just to do my errands and running around. He asked that we drop off some jewelry at the jewelry shop and we were told it would be ready in a few hours. So we set out doing my errands trying to be as efficient as possible and multi-tasking the whole way, trying to get as much done in a day as possible. On our way home, I tried to turn into the parking lot of the jewelry shop for my dad's stuff that he told me, "No, no, just take me home. That will give me something to do tomorrow."

Aaahh the retired life!!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters