The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Coyote Spotted on top of Queens, NY Bar

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coyote Spotted on top of Queens, NY Bar
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2015 12:32 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/03/31/us/coyote-in-queens/index.html
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2015 03:17 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Fred!
You missed one....
Now get out there and Knockemdown.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2015 04:17 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If that had been a day later, it'd be an EPIC April Fool's joke!!!

That rooftop is barely 3 miles from the shop. How that coyote got onto the geographical island of Long Island without becoming road pizza is a miracle unto itself? Pretty sure it didn't take the Midtown Tunnel or the 59th St. Bridge!!!

Possibly a float trip down the East River? It'd have had quite a current to sweep it down & across to LIC.

As it goes, there are coyotes established in Van Cortlandt Park, located in the northern portion of the Bronx. The Bronx being one of the 5 boros of NYC, Just sayin', that coyote didn't have terribly far to make it down to Long Island City. Maybe 30 miles, total?

The stumper is how it crossed from the Bronx, onto the island proper. That's why a 'float trip' makes the most sense. It'd only require a short crossing of the westernmost LI Sound, or being swept around "Hell's Gate" by Riker's Island and down the East River (LIC butts right up to the East River)
I've navigated up through there by boat, and that's a perfectly feasible explanation for how that coyote got where it did...

Far as I know, its still on the loose.

[ April 01, 2015, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2015 07:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It may be difficult to understand that 40-50 years ago, there were no coyotes in eastern states?

Very scientific types speculated, (as they always do) that historically, the Mississippi River was an insurmountable obstacle to eastern migrations.

But, the Doofuses forgot about BRIDGES! Believe it or not, there have been bridges across the Mississippi for over a hundred years and eventually even the coyotes learned to use them.

I saw a coyote while driving down the street the other day. My first thought was to shoot him, then reached for my iphone but by then he ducked into some shrubs.

They are perfectly comfortable in Suburbia, where they are especially proficient at "Cat Patrol". Adaptable critters.

However, that New Yawk photo doesn't look right, to me?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2015 09:34 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Video linky

Me & Poke just took a lunchtime stroll to scout the area. No dice...

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2015 09:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay Fred. I did my duty, approved three new members this morning, one being "cornstalker" or something like that?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: and I take back what I said on the phone. That's a genuine coyote.

[ April 01, 2015, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2015 10:21 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Leonard!
The picture above was sorta inconclusive, glad the video offered a bit more to base an opinion on...

That abandoned building it jumped into prolly offers a good supply of rats, pigeons, feral cats & other assorted items to snack on. Maybe it'll camp out a while?

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters