The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Saint Patrick's Day

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Saint Patrick's Day
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted March 17, 2015 05:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope everybody wore green and celebrated responsibly?

My corned beef isn't quite ready. The anticipation is huge.

Believe it or not, I had never had corned beef until I met Nanc. She was a proud Irishman. My God, did I develop a taste for corned beef! I don't think I ever had it, except on St. Patrick's Day. Well, yeah, I had an occasional corned beef sandwich in between but no big deal dinner except for once a year.

Kind of a tradition, like turkey on Thanksgiving.

I gobble that stuff exactly like turkey and all the trimmings. Can't help it. And, there's nobody here to share it with. [Frown]

But, tomorrow I will truck some up to Yucca Valley and share it with main squeeze.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2015 06:16 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
My mom never made corned beef and cabbage but when I was a kid in Taiwan a friend's mom made it and invited me to dinner. I couldn't believe how really good it is.

We just finished a nice dinner of the stuff. I started cooking the beef at about 10:30 this morning. Fall apart tender and tasty.

Back east St Patrick's Day is a big deal especially in Boston. I still like the idea of the holiday.

Happy St Paddy's day everyone.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2015 07:06 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I just had a serving of corn beef and cabbage tonight. My wife is the best cook in the family and she is the one that started me on this traditional meal for St. Patrick's day. With that said, I'm the one who is Irish. She is English and French. What a woman!! O-lala

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2015 03:40 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
We did corned beef & cabbage on Saturday & I've been enjoying leftovers for the last few days. When we got home last night, my neighbor offered me a Guinness Stout cupcake she'd made and it was really good!

Last fall during bow season, I made corned beef & cabbage up at the farm for me and a buddy. Danged if we didn't eat that whole thing, it was sooooooo good! Come to think of it, every meal seems to just taste better up there, prolly has alot to do with just being "away" for a spell....

If you haven't tried it, I usually like to use corned beef leftovers to make scrambled eggs with.
chop up some leftover corned beef, cabbage and potatoes, and brown them in a skillet with butter. Once everything has browned to your liking, whip in some scrambled eggs. At that point, you can finish them in the skillet, or put it in a warm oven to make a "fritatta". Either way, with a cup of black coffee, that mess makes for some might fine eatin' to get the day rollin' with...

One thing I forgot this year, didn't hit Micky D's for a Shamrock Shake yet!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2015 05:16 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I refuse to wait for St Patty's Day to eat corned beef and cabbage only once a year.
*I've already made it twice this year... the last one I bought was so big it took both of my crock pots to cook it.

Leftovers... corned beef hash, reuben sandwiches, corned beef and eggs... [Smile]

Can't wait 'til they go on sale next week!

Krusty

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2015 07:18 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I make it several times per year, too. Since it's just my wife and me at home I hate cooking a big pot of it but when we have certain company or when my son in law comes over for the day I'll make it.

I keep a couple of corned beefs in the freezer pretty much at all times. Costco sells the best cuts that I've found.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2015 07:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG! How could I forget a Shamrock Shake? If they have any left, I will get one to go before rolling on Yucca Valley.

I just put the pot back on the stove. Those leftovers sound scrumptious, Fred. I KNEW you would have it going on.

It's kind of expensive, I boiled about $35 worth. The damned potatoes are huge, about nine inches by four? That's ok, you don't want them cooking to mush.

I can't wait!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: yes, Costco is where I get mine. As far as I can tell, they have the best. And, I have had some less than perfect corned beef, but not since I have been getting it at Costco. Never had a bad package, I mean, it's all good but they seem always to have good beefy cuts and just the right amount of fat. Some people eat that too, but not me. Like, if I get a chunk of fat in a burrito, it's disgusting!

[ March 18, 2015, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2015 04:48 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the only one in my house that eats either corned beef, or cabbage. Hell, I like my cabbage steamed, with butter sauce, or as kraut in a big fat Reuben sandwich with the corned beef. Or Bierochs (sp?) I'm pretty sure some German went to Ireland, was fed some corned beef and cabbage, went back to Prussia or wherever he was living at the time and gave birth to the reuben sandwich. I'll eat kraut straight out of the can, and cabbage by the bushel. That make me popular. LOL
sniff-sniff

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted March 18, 2015 05:17 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I was waiting for somebody to bring up the Rueben !!

Ehe gads (sp).. [Big Grin]

[ March 18, 2015, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2015 08:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I never understood, nor appreciated a Reuben sandwich? <shrug> Actually, in context, I get cabbage, but really, what is there about it? Never was particularly high on cole slaw, hardly ever finish a portion.

Here's a question: who makes the best cole slaw. Where you can buy it and walk out. I nominate KFC. Sure they make decent chicken, (original crispy) but that slaw is just about the best.

Sour kraut is another "acquired" taste. My mom used to make it with short ribs and ladled on mashed potatoes. For me, if I never see that dish again....kinda the way I feel about liver and onions. No, not that bad.

We have a modest chain out here, call Juan Pollo. it's like El Pollo Loco, but I think it's much better. Grilled chicken. But the surprising thing is their potato salad! By far the best potato salad I have ever had, including my Dad's, which is/was hard to beat.

The Germans are not culinary masters, by any means. When I was there, I could drive a hundred miles for a taco, but where was I? Oh, yeah, they like hot, or warm potato salad. WTF? To me potato salad should be cold, refrigerated, at room temperature, hell, you could get sick from it.

There is one thing the German's make that is widely misunderstood. Schnitzel. It's unfortunate there is a restaurant chain called Der Weinerschnitzel. They make something they call a krautdog with sour kraut. Whatever, but it bears no relationship to a wonderful fried Schnitzel sandwich, which is made with a veal cutlet and their special mustard. Thanks to the politically correct crowd, you cannot find veal anywhere. It's amazing the way we let these radicals push us around!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2015 06:23 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Love good slaw as long as it's the sweet kind, like KFC's, but the kind with vinegar? Nope. Don't like a reuben unless it's with kraut, no slaw. Another good slaw place is right here in Abilene at a little place called the "World Famous Brookville Hotel". Bet you never heard of it. Anyway, they make everything from scratch, including battering their own chicken, soda biscuits, mashed potatoes from spuds daily, and their slaw is the sweet kind where they grind the cabbage, carrots and such and serve it swimming in lots of that sweet milky slaw sauce that tastes so good. You could almost drink it like a milkshake, it's so smoothly textured. Cold as ice, too. I could eat that stuff by the bucketful.

As far as cabbage dishes go, kimchee, or whatever that vile smelling shit is spelled like. Who can eat that shit? My God, a co-worker brought some one morning, cracked the seal on the jar and we had to evacuate the damned work floor to air the place out.

[ March 19, 2015, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted March 19, 2015 06:53 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I like KFC slaw but there are others I like, too. We buy packages of it at the market and add slaw dressing to it. I have a Traeger and like to make BBQ ribs. Slaw goes good with ribs.

I can't remember where I had it, maybe at a friend's place in Hawaii, but coleslaw with crushed pineapple is amazingly good.

BTW, I quit putting potatoes in the corned beef and cabbage. I use rutabagas instead.

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2015 03:50 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Can say with authority that my Mom can make some pretty good coleslaw, she juliennes carrots in to 'sweeten' it up. Lots of commercial slaw is friggin' LOADED with sugar!

Mom's potato salad is always a hit and she makes a few different kinds, depending on the taters involved. One uses red skinned taters, with a light mayo base w/red wine vinegar & dill weed added to freshen it up. Really good when you're not wanting to get bogged down with the heavy German mayo bomb tater salad...

That said, there was a German deli a couple miles away from where I grew up that made super good potato salad. I remember jumping in the Valiant with my Dad to grab a couple lbs. for Sunday burger burns in the yard. Funny how food interlaces in with your memory, I can still taste how good that tater salad was. Pretty sure if they were still around, you could use that tater salad to patch a mortar hole...it was heavy duty stuff!!!

[ March 20, 2015, 03:54 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 20, 2015 07:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Help, help! I'm in a time warp! I have not eaten rutabagas since we left Minneesota in 1955. I never developed a taste for them.

But, based on the above, maybe next time I might throw ONE in the pot, just for giggles. Remind me.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters