The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Two more brain puzzlers (that don't involve a dress)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Two more brain puzzlers (that don't involve a dress)
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2015 06:03 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Hunting season's winding down and the withdrawals haven't hit full force just yet, so here are a couple thoughts/ questions that occurred to me over the course of this past season while sitting out in the cold. Your thoughts, please.

What do they say, and how do they say it?

This past Sunday, we were working a group of four coyotes that initially appeared well downwind of us and checked up just out of range. We could see a couple of them, sitting, looking, lying down. Contemplating whether or not to come in, but refusing to commit. They most certainly smelled us. Knew something wasn't right. But, still were intrigued by the plethora of vocalizations I was taunting them with. AS I watched them through the scope, I wondered to myself just what they were thinking. I mean, in our heads, when facing a bad situation, we hear our own voices in our own language telling us to run, duck, shit our pants, whatever. Granted, we act out, but we also converse with no one in particular in our heads. What's going on in a coyote's head under similar circumstances? Is there a bunch of frenzied yelping and barking or maybe they actually do think in English. You know watching them that they're thinking at some level. If they acted solely on impulse and conditioning, they would either come to the call, or run like hell, based upon their past experience. But, for them to sit there and appear to be considering their options and considering how different scenarios will turn out. Hmmm.

Number two, how loud is a rifle shot, actually?

Put a muzzle brake on my AR. Forgot to tell my gunner. He was sitting about ten feet to my right the next time out and he found out on his own. LOL Oops. Anyway, as we discussed the matter (he actually was yelling at me partly because he was pissed at me and partly because all he could hear was EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE), I got to thinking of a gun's report as being not at all unlike thunder, where the sound is caused by rapidly compressing air waves. My house was struck by lightning once and we didn't hear a thing except for a disturbing "sizzle" sound followed by the sudden activation of all my daughter's electronic toys, yet my neighbors were literally rolled out of their bed by the explosive booming thunder. Lightning, in and of itself, does not make much sound. Rather, the sound you hear is the superheated air being compressed in waves going outward in ever widening circles. So, using that as our basis, how loud is a rifle shot, really? Is the sound we hear the actually sound of the powder burning, the release of supercompressed gases as they exit the muzzle immediately behind the bullet, the sound of superheated gases compressing air in thunder-like waves in ever-widening circles around the gun, or what? If so, maybe the sound of a rifle shot is nothing more than a muted "Phhhffffttt!"

And no, I don't smoke pot. Just something to idle away the time.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2015 08:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I always wondered about firing a rifle in space or on the moon. Wonder if it's been done? With ear protection, of course.

Your gunner, I'm sure he had a couple choice thoughts. If there is anything I hate, at the range, while testing loads, is some asshole next to me with a 338Lapua. Or a 30-378Weatherby. Both have happened to me.

Good hunting El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31466 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2015 09:20 AM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
No sound in space. At least not to terrestrials. No atmosphere to vibrate.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2015 12:45 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
<sigh>"with ear protection, of course".... that part was a joke, even though I have never been in outer space, I accept the commonly held belief that sound requires an atmosphere. Hmm? does the moon have an atmosphere? But, yeah, Hollywood says they can't hear you scream, in space. Some things you must accept on faith.

My main observation. Just the act of firing a friggin' canon in space. How far would it go and how to account BTW for Newton; every action, etc. I mean, in theory, would the bullet continue forever? Just kind of mind boggling, to me, without the sound aspect; I shouldn't have mentioned it.

But, another musing. Ever notice when Hollywood films one of their apocalypse futuristic movies, they are using rather conventional shotguns and such against the aliens? In other words, a raygun just doesn't get the juices flowing like current state of the art firearms. I don't know, call me weird but some of the scenarios are amusing; and I am not a particular fan of syfi.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2015 03:05 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Got even with myself for him today. LOL Switched scopes on my AR and was out using my tail gate as a bench for my rifle rest. Had already shot up a target and walked to put those sticky dots over the holes. Got back to the truck and was so eager to see what happened since I'd made some adjustments that I plum done forgot to put on my earmuffs. The muzzle of the rifle was just back of the side wall of the truck bed so all the concussive muzzle blast (or at least half of it) went into the truck bed, off the tool box and into my left ear. Palpable "whump" to the port side of my head. I did get a bullseye, too.

BTW, what's a "range"? Around here, we call those "fields", "pastures" or anyplace else where you can simply pull to the side of the road and start blasting away.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2015 03:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A "range"? Don't worry about it, does not apply in flyover country. But in civilization, we have these designated places where you can go and shoot from a bench under regulated conditions.

I'm trying to understand how your left ear would get the force....unless you are one of those unfortunate people that are not right handed, in a right handed world. Is this why you are messing with an AR?

Good hunting. El Bee
(just kidding Lance, a few of my best friends suffer from that condition)

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2015 07:21 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
the longer I call coyotes, the less I think I understand.
Many years ago, when I got my first ecaller, I had 3 coyotes spotted almost immediately after starting to call, with rabbit. These 3 coyotes just sat out there at about 600 yards and listened. I switched through 4 or 5 different rabbit sounds all the while they just hung out listening to all the noise. Finally, switched one more time to another different rabbit sound and here came two of the 3, the 3rd got up and headed the opposite direction.
I have had the scenario play out many times, and with many variations of different sounds including vocals. But being able to see them due to the open terrain has taught me that a single sound is NOT the way to go, unless, it's pulling them in left and right. And sometimes, they just won't come no matter what sound you throw at them. And they don't always run away either, I've had them stand up from bed, listen, then spin a couple circles and lay right back down.
And the beauty of a suppressor, not only is it gentle on the shooters ears, it's gentle on his partners ears. [Wink]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2015 07:54 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I've said TR'S first sentence many times in recent years.

I lean heavily on one sound though and I think my call in per stand ratio is pretty good for my area. Do realize how dumb that makes me sound but it is what it is and it works pretty good for me.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2015 08:59 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"The longer I call coyotes, the less I think I understand"
........................ [Smile] ...................

I wanna be a teen-ager again. I knew EVERYTHING back when I was a teen-ager. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2015 09:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Something that always baffled me. I have been known to hunt a coyote rich environment, for many years, not so much lately, since it has become distinctly dangerous.

But, here's the deal. USUALLY, I have great confidence in calling at least a single damned near every stand, until maybe ten o'clock? But, every once in a while, there is nothing moving, no matter what I do. But, the thing is; I KNOW THERE ARE COYOTES OUT THERE, BEHIND SOME BUSH, LISTENING, AND NOT MISSING A NOTE.

Why would every coyote in the county be acting the same way, all morning? Every once in a while, I accidentally do something and a coyote will practically jump on my caller. And, that sound or trick won't work worth a damn, the next time.

I have found cats to be a hell of a lot more predictable. Like, when they won't come in. There are ways to convince a cat, very predictable. Whatever, but just knowing how they are wired has allowed me to take a few that a lot of guys would give up on.

There were nights, up in Nevada when we couldn't buy a damned coyote before midnight. Then the floodgates would open. There is nothing like it. Unless it's one of those rare times when you have action all night long. That's the puzzler. You start wondering about wind direction, barometric pressure, (especially high pressure) moon phase, all that shit. Why did they do this, what's going on?

And, still you can't write it down, graven in stone. I guess that's what makes it so challenging, and frustrating, at the same time. Unless you are Vic, or Kelly?

But, getting back to coyotes, and having open country where you can observe them at a distance. You can't do that most places in Arizona, too much cover. But, it's always interesting to put the scope on a coyote way out there who obviously hears the call and kinda, sorta shows interest, but he stays put.

Everybody starts with the territory thing, they won't cross a boundary, right. But I can think of dozens of times when something changes, and they romp in, fearless across imagined territory boundaries. Occasionally, all it takes is shutting off the machine and waiting them out. And, lots of times, I just don't have the patience and fold the tent. And, yet I know that they will come in after I leave, almost invariably. Ten minutes later, 45 minutes later, but they come in and sniff around all over where you set up. You want to prove this, drive up the road, make another stand then turn around, and examine the ground where you were, that last stand. It helps if there is damp ground or snow, of course, but a careful examination will show tracks where there weren't any, before.

Enough rambling.
Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2015 10:53 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
More times then not when there are multiples together on a particular stand, if one comes they all come, but why, when looking at multiples on the same stand, does one or two of them come, and the other/s leave?
I'm guessing different life experiences has something to do with it, but there's more to it too. The coyotes know, but they're not telling.

And then there are those that still think that if the coyote can hear the call, they will come, ALWAYS....As long as you're using a WT..... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2015 11:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they will; they might be behind locked gates down in Texas. We refer to these as "uncalled" coyotes. Long ago, there was such a thing, now just legend. The only UNCALLED coyotes, these days, are pups, in July. THANKS FOXPRO!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters