The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Relocating ? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Relocating ?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2015 09:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear ya, Moe. And, the young bucks don't know what the hell you are talking about. But they will. haha

You know, the first legit job I had, right out of the Army was with Pacific Bell, as an installer. Not too bad but those twelve hour days all summer long, well, got old, but the guy who gave me the heads up on the job, married to one of Nancy's best friends, he stuck it out way over thirty years, might have been forty, as I think about it? What happened to Roger? Well he got pancreatic cancer, two months short of planned retirement. He passed out and went into a coma, died a couple weeks later, without a clue as to what was going on. Shirley has become a hermit, let's her Mexican son-in-law run the house like he owns it. (some kinda Macho shit) But poor old Roger died in the saddle, just like DAA plans on doing. (shakes head)

Oh well, that's life.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: Lone howl. Looks delicious, eh? I will tell you one thing, this fucker ain't afraid of anything. He doesn't like my son, chased him all over the house! I think he actually could bite your finger off, if he wanted to? He bites holes in metal caps from the Starbucks Frapacino bottles, no plastic is safe, sometimes we call him, JAWS. We have a couple of blue jays that are always bombing him when he is outside. They want to steal his peanuts. But, when he flares up, he can be quite intimidating. (absolutely HATES gloves)

[ March 05, 2015, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31472 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2015 09:49 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
You can see a running theme in most all of the posts; in the end, it all boils down to health.
While we are young, it's about making money and assuming we will have money at retirement to enjoy the things we did when young, it's a conundrum for sure.
Of all the regrets a man on his deathbed may have, having more money is not one of them. I'd much rather have abundant health, than amassed wealth. If it cost a nickel to shit....I couldn't fart, but I do have general good health. I have the usual ache and pain that one usually acquires after hitting 60, but all in all, Im good to go, just not as gung ho as when I was 40.
leonard; Im fixing up the home place now, going to work on it for the next two years. You ought to sell you mansion in California, pull the trigger and buy my place here in coyote mecca,and you'd have a wad left over for gas and bullets:)

Posts: 1630 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2015 09:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
HA HA

I'll tell you one thing, fucking Boyd WOULD be mowing the grass!

edit: PS does the deed come with a detailed map, and the location of all those 85% stands?

[ March 05, 2015, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2015 10:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's Pinky. As soon as I walked out the door with gloves on, he flared up. Then I hung one on the side of the cage so he would turn and you can see his crest, where he gets his name; Salmon Crested Moluccan Cockatoo.

-

-

[ March 05, 2015, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2015 10:46 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Senior year in highschool, my US Gov't teacher soberd us right the fuck up about retirement. At the time, the average length of retirement for a white male was ~7yrs, IIRC?
He went on to point out that those 7 yrs were the last 7 on Earth.
The last 7yrs after working your ass to the bone to "retire".
Those last 7yrs were the least healthy of one's life. Due to illness & aging, the inevitable accumulation of wear & tear on one's mind & body...

Mr. Stern really struck a cord with me, in 1992.
Combined with other life lessons, I surmised to not sweat or fret "retirement". I'd rather live day to day & enjoy each one. Not sayin' its right, just how I kinda got programmed into being...

Leonard, does your bird like hot peppers?
I remember a co-worker telling me that hot (really hot) peppers are good for his bird's digestive system?
We grow "ghost peppers" here on the roof at work, and those fuckers will melt the lining right outta your guts! But, he insisted that they are beneficial to his bird???

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2015 10:56 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, working in the telephone industry as a craftsman or engineer requires you to miss a lot of summer activities. In Alaska I got 7 weeks of vacation at the end yet I couldn't take any of it in the summer construction season. I made good money so I could take the family south to a warmer clime but when my daughters were in school it was tough to do. I finally put my foot down and started spending a few weeks in the Yukon fly fishing in June before the construction got fully underway.

In the Fall, usually October, most of the work was done and if the weather held it was a good time to fish and hunt and because the fishing was great right out my back door I often went home after an 8 hour day and fished until midnight as it was still light enough to do that.

I also had a float plane for flying up into Canada onto a fly in only lake filled with hungry trout. The sky was filled with mosquitoes but a little Muskol took care of that. And no one within miles to disturb you. I sometimes miss that.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2015 11:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the rule for us was no working at night, and summers have longer daylight so it was literally sun up to sun down. They payed for dinner if we worked past a certain time but I don't remember what it was? But still, I was going to school at night and it was so difficult that I had to decide what was more important, thus my phone company career ended. As far the craft, I had no problem working with my hands with tools. Actually, everybody laughed at Roger. He was kind of a big baby, always falling, tripping, getting bit by a black widow, wrist sprains, you name it? But, that's just the way it is in groups of men. Big guy, played football, but no athlete, by any means. More like Baby Huey. I apologize, R.I.P.

Cruising Down Memory Lane.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: Pinky will eat peppers sometimes, don't seem to bother him, but he's indifferent. Soda Crackers? Boy Howdy!
edit: one of the main things differentiates cockatoos from, "true parrots" is the erector feathers in the head. Plus, his entire vocabulary is about six understandable and forever repeatable words and a bunch of sounds like the phone, a hilarious human laugh, dog barks and unintelligible mumblings.

[ March 05, 2015, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2015 11:55 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
That's my take too Fred.

I do not expect long life, nor good health as I age. If I get either, great, I'll take it! But I'm not planning on them. My money says I don't live much past 70 and the last few years aren't going to be pretty.

Maybe 20 - 25 years to go.

So I'm not planning to retire. Like Fred said, I am much more about the right here and right now and making the most of it. What happens later, will happen. And I'll make the most of it too - whatever "it" happens to be.

I sock away a few bucks. If I find myself living to be 80 and not able to work the last 10 or 15 years, I won't have to eat cat food and sleep under the overpass. But I think of that money as my kids inheritance, not my retirement fund.

Health is certainly my Number One concern, for the future. But, it's also my Number One concern for the present! I do make quite an effort to keep myself as fit as I can - eat right, exercise, all that stuff. But, I mostly do that because I enjoy the benefits right NOW. Not because I really think it's going to make much difference when I get cancer in 15 years. My body is already failing me in some ways and I'm only 50. So...

But as far as "plans", yeah, I plan on working till I die. And I am very content with that.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2015 12:00 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
P.S...

Moe's time in Alaska sounds awesome!!!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2015 12:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I second that!

One comment on DAA's comments. The fact is, I always felt the same way about living in the now....which is why I did not plan financially as well as I could and should have. My kids are doing okay without my help. Well, not exactly true, but when I'm gone they will get something. But, if I spend every last dime and sleep under a bridge, that's okay.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2015 04:51 PM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
went to a funeral of a real good friend and co worker this week, 73 yrs old, worked for the outfit 52 yrs. been in the hospital the last 2 monthes but he wouldn't have changed it, he wanted to work as long as he could, ran about 400 cows with his son in law and said he was happy when Monday came so he could go to work, just loved his job

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2015 12:56 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
That would be great to love a job enough to work until the very end. I was never able to achieve that so I guess I'm very lucky to be able to retire except for the occasional rental fix up and/or repair.

I sorry to hear about Paul and Leonard's losses in real estate. I came close but the rent was always able to pay the mortgage so I rode it out. I knew it would have been a blood bath if I had to sell. I would have come close to breaking even on the selling price vs payoff, but even that would have killed my retirement plans. I purchased the rentals with a 1031 differed exchange in 1998 which would have me paying a bunch in capital gains and depreciation recovery if I sold in 2008. I still would have to pay all of the above but at least I have good equity now. I'll work the rentals until either I cannot perform my own repairs anymore or until the big one hits California. I don't wish the big one to hit because of friends and family that live on the left coast. However if it comes along I expect many families will leave and settle elsewhere such as Phoenix. About 200,000 people left Louisiana after Katrina. I expect at least that many to move here causing another boom then bust cycle. I want out during the boom.

[ March 06, 2015, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Aznative ]

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1926 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 13 posted March 06, 2015 02:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
But. What hurt me was remoteness, and evictions, vacancies and subsequent break Ins, vandalisms, even the theft of lawnmower and other yard stuff, you name it. Not to mention I had one tennant selling MY stuff to fund his drug habit! Good tennants are worth their weight in gold.

I had to bail for my peace of mind, couldn't have sold at a worse time but the cashflow was ridiculously negative. Glad it's over with even though I lost my ass, very serious money. Zillow keeps me well informed about the poor decisions I made, but makes it sound like "good news" your property values have increased this much! Really rubbing it in.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2015 03:31 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
My job is stressful! I've seen folks still around over 60 years (of age) and it really puts a toll on them.. Older folk's bodies don't take stress as well..

That's why I want to be out of there by 58 if at all possible..

The big wildcard is shit like divorce

[ March 06, 2015, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2015 03:39 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
I had eight units once... Down to three. I used to love real estate. Not anymore.

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2015 03:46 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
It is easy to evict in Arizona for non payment. I can get it done in less that 30 days. If they are damaging the property or doing illegal activity it can be done in 20 days but you have to have proof. I imagine the state of commyfornia makes it harder on you landlords.

My rentals are an 18 minute drive from my house and they all have a home depot within two miles. The only thing I supply with the house is the refrigerator if they ask for it. With one rental while vacant, I kept having break ins and they would do stupid stuff just for laughs. I boarded up the house, 200 bucks in lumber, and purchased $800.00 in alarm equipment. Installed the alarm equipment behind the refrigerator and that stopped the break ins. I remove the alarm once rented.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1926 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2015 04:38 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll never be a landlord. Not wired correctly for it. Would get myself in prison, dealing with tenants. I mean it.

But a good friend, who has been a landlord for decades, has made many, many millions in real estate, tried to talk me into it for a long time. Until he happened to witness me getting my point across during an unpleasant conversation with someone. Driving away from the scene, he looked over at me and said, "well, I see what you mean now, about you being a landlord, and prison...".

But a piece of advice he gave me about renters, that I've used to good effect in other situations. He told me, look in the back seat of their car. Whatever the back seat of their car looks like, is what you're property is going to look like after they've lived in it.

I've been an observer of peoples back seats for about 20 years now, since he told me that. And I think he was really on to something, you really can tell a lot from that!

- DAA

--------------------

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2015 05:40 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Same as Dave here...Ive done the landlord thing breifly, and I dont have the tolerence for shitty people. It is rare to get good renters. And yes...you always look at what they are driving, and how clean it is inside and out. Its 90 percent spot on at least.
Mark

[ March 06, 2015, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2015 06:09 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
My father taught me a long time ago. "Pay yourself first, 10% minimum", I try.

I also believe in live for today. Yea I know they conflict sometimes. I don't want to be that guy living under the bridge, or have to eat Kibble when I get older either.

I'm glad I have already done stuff I might not be able to do down the road. You never know. I, like many others felt bullet proof into my 30's. Worked tons of overtime, went to night school to further my career, etc.. Now I rarely work overtime. Hell I would be glad working 4 days a week if my boss would let me.

I'm in my early 50's and just can't do what I used to be able to do in my 40's. I am now starting to wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. <laffin>

However, I found out today, where I work there is talk about changing the retirement age from 62 to 55 with minimum 30 years service. I hope that goes through, I might retire next year. Health insurance will be a biggy though. Not sure about that yet.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2015 07:49 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny,

I can appreciate where you're coming from. I haven't been to Lewiston in almost exactly 7 years now. I guess it's all pretty much the same ?

Actually in many ways northern Idaho would be very high on my list. Would sure miss BLM ground, but. It only gets me further from my family in central Oregon.

Plus those farmers up there have those side hill combines..Yikes !!!

Just kidding. It wouldn't matter to me. I just think it's interesting.

[ March 06, 2015, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2015 08:32 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
DAA.....Yeah, it was. Here's a few pics.

Spring steelhead Chichagof Island

[IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd162/pk1_04/523901_498409030171 042_1264433919_n_zps5944eb30.jpg[/IMG]

Toy

-

King Salmon fishing at Taku inlet out of my 16' skiff

-

[ March 06, 2015, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Moe ]

--------------------

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2015 08:50 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
One more. Fishing for halibut off of the floats at Basket Bay

[IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd162/pk1_04/129944548261817938_zpsaes4j9sv.jpg[/ IMG]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2015 07:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks envious, Moe. Thanks for sharing. I squinted a bit, wondering if we have met somewhere, but comes up blank?

On the health scene. My brother had open heart surgery this morning, doing fine, thus far. He's six years younger than me. You just never know when you are going to have your ticket punched.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2015 08:08 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, pretty dang awesome alright!

- DAA

--------------------

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2015 08:18 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
From what Danny said you guys got into the CVCA after I'd moved to Alaska. I went to work in SE Asia for a while but when I got back I got right back into calling. Then I moved out to Barstow in about '69. I was there for almost 5 years before moving north. While out in Barstow I attended club activities but didn't make a lot of the monthly meetings. I know I have a few years on you and I think I did on Danny, too. A lot of the guys I knew in the old CVCA have passed.

I hear you about never knowing when you're going to get your ticket punched. From losing buddies in Vietnam to losing them to cancer and heart attacks at an early age I've seen it a bunch. Make the best of it.

[ March 07, 2015, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: Moe ]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters