The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Relocating ? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Relocating ?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 07:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I actually "like" the Phoenix area, Glendale, Scottsdale, etc. BUT. I would be very reluctant about moving there! Damn, the number of Alberta plates in the winter time is amazing!

I still remember the time we had a layover at Sky Harbor because the temperature was 123deg and the pilots had no setting for takeoff at that temperature!

Sure, the air conditioning is nice, but walking outside to your car, anytime after 10 A.M. actually takes your breath away. I think Phoenix invented Car Ports?

I have family in Phoenix and have been visiting regularly since the fifties. It has really grown since. One time, my wife booked a room, (I think it was on Van Buren, downtown about ten years ago. Driving in, we passed several bonfires set up in 55 gallon drums, right on the street. Reminded me of Miami, piles of garbage everywhere. No, not that bad, but bad.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 08:00 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Van Buren was a main Drag years ago now is a place where drug addicts find crack whores! Not a good place to drive your car could break down.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 08:06 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I am surprised that you booked on Van Buren most motels go by the hour. Even ten years ago most all of it was shit.

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 08:26 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Downtown Phoenix has been a free fire zone since the 70s. Van Burean use to be the street one would pick up hookers. The center of downtown has been redeveloped and has turned around, but if you walk six blocks in either direction you are now in the hood. The suburbs of Phoenix is where most of the people live, and we do have some nice neighborhoods. Arizona is the only state with constitutional concealed carry that has a million plus populated city and a 4 million metro area.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1926 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 09:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Not Nancy's fault; she just innocently booked a room, on line. Hell, it was a Holliday Inn, if I remember correctly? Even had genuine Pakistani management. What could go wrong?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 09:12 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Koko probably knows where this is ? looks good to me !!
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/TL-03500-Guano-slough-Rd-Burns-OR-97720/2106084985 _zpid/

[ March 04, 2015, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 09:34 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
With each post you guys are making me even happier I kept moving north once I left Arizona. Heck, you are darn near scaring me enough to want to move to Canada next. After all it would just be a natural progression given my history of heading north to places with less people and more wildlife.
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 10:17 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
We ended up at a notell motel once in one of LA's finer shithole neighborhoods. We walked in and immediately out.

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 10:17 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing as how I'm on the same retirement plan as Dave, I've pondered the notion of heading somehwere tropical & get a job runnin' a battlewagon sportfishermen for some rich dude. Go to work in flip-flops & sunglasses, maintain & run the boat & tackle, rig baits, etc. Simple, happy life...wouldn't need much to eek out livin'. Fuck, would prolly be living right on the boat!

Would still haveta return stateside in the fall/winter for a spell, to get my fill of killing furry animals...

But I really don't think to far into the future. Try to make the most of living right now, and enjoying who & what I've already been blessed with. Reckon if I can learn to be content living in the now, it don't matter where I end up. Lordy knows, lat/lon #s have precious little to do with that part...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 10:32 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
"Run naked...be somebody"...Im considering this piece of property.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 10:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, same "retirement" as my sister and when she got sick, the other people that worked for the city of Tacoma donated their sick days to help her out. Kind of a pathetic way to bow out, if you ask me?

Higgins said he will never retire. I hope he's wrong. Shit, I don't claim to be real sharp with that kind of planning, but the whole idea of working 'til I drop just never had much appeal.

But, that's the problem with a retirement plan like that. Your health. Nancy didn't even draw a year on her social security when she turned 62, 'course, she actually retired when she was fifty.

Man, if the "Golden Years" don't offer at least the luxury of sleeping in, that's a sad commentary on a life. If I had only listened to my CPA back when before I was thirty and he said something very simple; "Pay yourself first". Kinda required more discipline than I owned, or I would own an island in the Caribbean today.

And, while we are talking about nice places to live, as far as climate, there is no way to beat the Caribbean, aside from the fact that there are no coyotes. Yet.

Think of it, no heating, no air conditioning, pure white sand beaches with coconut palms. The water is the same as the air temperature, you don't need to towel off and it's like swimming in a salt water aquarium, every little fish you ever saw in a pet store or on the Discovery Channel; they are there, every day.

I used to spearfish when I was younger and that can easily satisfy the urge to hunt, plus Ursula, or even Holly berry might walk out of the surf and kneel at your feet....know what I mean, Vernon?

Think about it, and get back to me.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 11:46 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Just paid some more into my 401k-m-d future...
K- for Krieger
M- for McMillan
D- for Delta airlines

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 01:05 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, to each his own.

I like getting up early. Truly, like it. When I sleep in till 8am, even on a Sunday morning, I feel like I've wasted half a day. Hate that feeling.

And I like working. Truly, like it.

Getting up early, and going to work, that's reason enough to live, right there. For me?

Sleeping in, not having anything really productive to do? Shoot me, please. Fucking right in the ear, shoot me!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 01:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know. I sound black, huh? (just a joke, I know which way you lean)

I admit it, I lack ambition. Funny thing is, I get up more often between 5 and 6, never 8. But, my point is, I don't have to do any of it, if I don't want to. Seems like a freedom issue, to me? I am done accomplishing survival stuff. And, I'd prefer that my boring existence last for a long time. Please, no Obamacare bullet for this kid.

There is room for different philosophies as to the meaning of "life". One thing, believe it or not, I am content. Mellow in my old age. Who could have predicted that!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 03:07 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave;
The country looks familiar.
I used to hunt out of French Glenn to the Hart Mountain Coyote Refuge, among other places.
Good times.
[Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 03:21 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Im on Leonards plan. I bailed at my first opportunity, which happened to be at age 48. Had put in 30 years with the telephone company, which at that time allowed one to retire with 30 years service or have a total between age/service of 75 years.
I have thought a few times "what if" I had stuck around, and how much better pension I would be getting if I hung around until 62 or 65? You never know, I might have worked till 65 and be room temperature at 66. Ive had many, many days during the last 12 years of retirement, that any day I choose to go out hunting, I go,and can pick the cherry days....Ive really enjoyed it.
I had a terrific job, but it was just that, a job, not a career I yearned to grow and move up in, just a good job that bought the beans and paid the mortgage.
There has not been a day since retirement that I have been bored or lacked something to do. Spent yesterday refurbishing a large chicken coop, hanging nest boxes, shoveling chicken shit off the floor etc. I find those tasks every bit as rewarding as any day I spent working my old job.....possibly even more?

Posts: 1630 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 06:08 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Well a man can dream right ?

This is about perfect for how I'm wired.. [Big Grin]

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/79871-Purdy-Rd-Burns-OR-97720/2111366774_zpid/

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 06:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that looks like Ted Kazinski's old place. You know, the Unibomber?

But, in retirement, I never get bored. I never needed a fricken JOB to stimulate my brain. I can do nothing, surf the Internet for hours, or look forward to shopping at Costco. I putter quite a bit. Like Vic, I have my own "chicken" and when I leave for Yucca Valley tomorrow morning, I think I will take him along. He doesn't like to be left alone. I visit my girlfriend just about once a week and she's 90 miles away. She likes Pinky too.

-

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: see kokpelli on the wall? Looks just like him, donut?

[ March 04, 2015, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 07:49 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Pinky is bad-azz..

Trade him for a couple of my wife's bunnies ?

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted March 04, 2015 08:44 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
The grass is always looks a little greener somewhere else and it's fun to dream, but I don't see the wife and I moving camp any great distance from where we are now. If I had to choose, Montana, Wyoming, or Eastern Oregon would be my picks. We're pretty fortunate to live around quality people and things like traffic, large amounts of people, and crime are on the low scale.

The older I get (47) the less it takes to keep me occupied. Once upon a time, it all about hunting all the time. Anymore I'm pretty satisfied to hunt close to home and do the things that 20 years ago I would have considered a chore.

Like Vic, I can have a pretty good time doing some pretty basic stuff, like fixing fence or cutting a load of firewood. The other day, I spent most of it tromping around the woods looking for the perfect yew wood tree. My goal is to someday make a yew wood long bow. Why? Heck if I know, it just looks kind of interesting.

If we were to relocate, it would likely be having a second home or cabin of sorts to spend part of the year living on a little piece of acreage. A place where the neighbors are a fair distance away, you can shoot from the house, hunt from the house, take care of a few critters and generally just do the things that are available right out the front door.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2015 02:39 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I am much like Dave in that I would go to work any day and feel great satisfaction in that and would continue doing that as long as I could. I always had good positions of great responsibility or had a self made company where I was solely responsible I made great money and my people were well compensated ,treated well with a safe work environment. I made a huge mistake and had most my money tied up in real estate , what could go wrong then came 2008. whamo! broke overnite . Now I live on my social security and what money I can make doing small handy man remodel work. Then comes the illness never been sick a day in my life really. I am unable to work and probably will remain that way for some time. I did a vegetable garden in the back yard came out great only problem is what should have taken a day took four. I have started making knives , mostly primitive's at this time as I lack the proper machines. The wife is still long arm quilting and we get by, My point being I need something to do each day and a goal to look forward to and accomplish ,this make me content. Next project is a small quail raising operation , in the back yard. maybe some rabbits as well. We are all wired a little different Ain't it great!

--------------------

Aznative
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2015 06:27 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
While recovering from a Radical Prostatectomy, 5lb lifting limit for two months, I read at least a dozen books. One of the books was "The American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson". Thomas Jefferson believed the American Indians were the hap, hap, happiest people on earth. You are born into a culture where you know what is expected of you and you simply go about your day doing what you need to do. This is how many of you and myself are living out our retirement. While recovering I found great pleasure in waking our little dog on daily morning walks. The wife and I pretty much take on each day doing what we want to do. I enjoy fixing up the place while listening to mp3s on my phone. I have a very varied taste in music. My wife enjoys creating art/crafts.

The one issue I would have in moving would be insurance. The wife and I are still insured by my previous employer and we will stay on this insurance until 65 1/2 years of age when we go on medicare. My out of network medical expenses would be 30% of the cost until we met our deductibles if outside of Maricopa County. I also need to stay in the valley to manage our rental properties. I tried a property manager but he only managed to really piss me off. So I guess we are stuck here until medicare eligible and we do something about the rentals. But like I said previously, Arizona is a good place to live overall.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2015 07:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I did the same "Bath" as Paul talked about. Real Estate left a very bad taste in my mouth, I may never quite get over it. Also, I spend more than I make, so that has got to stop!

Huh? That can't be, I still have checks? My wife was always the practical one, had the balls to tell me NO!

But, you learn to live with a few adjustments, and the health issues need to be addressed. I just heard from a long time, old Club member this morning. Lost job, death in the family, etc.

Gotta be flexible. We won't see another Reagan, and Dickweed has two more years to fuck over America while nobody does anything about it!

One thing about it. If I had a Crystal Ball, way back, I could never envision how life would turn out, for me. You just cannot predict these events. Hell, I thought me and Nanc would die together, if I gave it any thought, at all. And, here I am. Can't seem to pull the trigger. (not that way) I need to move but it intimidates me and scares me.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2015 09:26 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting reading the varied ideas about where to live in retirement. The best place I've ever lived was Juneau, Alaska but I knew I could never retire there. Alaska is for young people. I was 30 when I moved there and got to do stuff people who don't live there only dream of doing.

I was making plans to move to a place like Gold Beach, Oregon but the economy forced me to make other plans. I went where I could make a living. I spent 45 years in the telephone industry and with government deregulation came change. I went from Alaska to Vermont then to Maine and New Hampshire then back west to North Central Washington and finally to Oregon where I remarried. My wife is a doctor with an established practice but is getting ready to retire. Her entire family is in the northwest so it's unlikely that we will ever relocate but that's okay. I hate the politics of the state but we live in a pretty conservative county amongst like minded people. There's no sales tax yet but the libs are always at work trying to change that.

Climate here is livable and after living in SE Alaska for 15 years the rain here is easy to deal with. For me the best part is the coast. We sold our boat last year because my health is getting bad but I can still go out on a charter when I feel up to it and I don't have to maintain the boat. As much as I like hunting I like fishing more.I've been fortunate to have lived where I could do both. Only problem living on the west side of the state is that to get into good coyote hunting I have to drive a minimum of 5 hours and spend at least a couple of days to make it worthwhile.

I had no plans to retire when I did but Verizon forced out thousands of employees in 2003. I took a great offer and did do some consulting afterwards. Then when I went on Social Security I was limited to a smaller income so I decided rather than give money back to the government I would completely retire. I was warned by others that I would become bored but as yet that hasn't happened. The only bad days are, like right now, my arthritis flares up and I'm unable to do what I want. But I'm still not bored. And the best thing is I'm not under the pressure I was when I was working. My phone never rings in the middle of the night because some construction manager found my home number and wants to know when I'll be getting cable to his development. Nor am I being called out to troubleshoot a no service.

Now if I could just get healthy again life would be bliss.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2015 09:41 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Pinky looks delicious!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters