The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » FRED, HELP! HELP! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: FRED, HELP! HELP!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted March 01, 2015 07:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
As our most dialed in member, I need you to explain this dress thing. I have seen a couple photos of a dress that appears to be off white with some horizontal beige stripes and about half of the people think the dress is black and blue.

What the hell is going on here? Who's pulling who's leg?

Explain in detail and talk slow, you are dealing with a senior citizen. (koko) Thanks.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31348 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2015 08:15 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Its black and blue.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2015 08:31 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It's gold and an off white that has a bluish tint.
I used to operate a five color Concord Decorator at 2000 units per minute. I don't think I've gone color blind yet.

[Razz]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7521 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2015 09:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
And, while you are at it, explain why Lonehowl can make such a statement.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2015 09:28 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this worth me googling to find out what y'all are talking about?

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2015 04:21 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
No Dave, this fits squarely in the "who gives a shit" file....

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2015 05:23 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Simple;
Different people see color differently in some cases.
Red / Green color blindness is fairly common. Other colors are interpreted in varying degrees.
Other factors are things like lighting and distance.
When we ran color proofs or quality checks, it was always directly under an approved light fixture.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7521 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2015 06:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
How can we NOT give a shit when so many people see a white and gold dress and say it's black and blue? I am posing a serious question, what universe are some people living in, me or Lonehowl? There has to be an explanation.

I'm waiting, Fred.

edit: koko.we can't write this off to subtle wavelengths; or assuming a definition of black to be the absence of light.

[ March 01, 2015, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Duckdog
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2015 06:15 PM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
So Leonard,
You're saying that every picture you've seen of this dress, you see it as white and gold?

Even when you search out other images of it? It's still white and gold?

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2015 06:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, although I have only seen ? two, maybe three photos, and didn't occur to me to google? So, there IS an alternate universe?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: so, duckdog, you are saying there are different photos, some black and blue and others are white and "gold"? What is the purpose? That's what I want to know. What's it about? What am I missing?

Help Fred!

[ March 01, 2015, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Duckdog
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2015 06:42 PM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't help you with the purpose.
As a matter of fact, I'm kind of in the same boat as you...Just trying to figure out what the deal is.
All I know, is my daughter texted me a picture of a dress, which to me and her, looked blue and black, but my wife says it's gold and white!

I did a little searching around today, and it looks like this whole thing started from basically just how I described it happened to me.
Except it went "viral" with whoever started it.

I will say this though, in my searches, I found the same picture in both color schemes.

I think the moral of the story is, don't trust the internet...or my wife's choice of colors. [Wink]

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2015 01:47 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
When did this place turn into facebook?

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2015 06:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Another day, no Fred!

Paul, don't be such a curmudgeon. This IS my facebook.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2015 11:16 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Have no idea the color of the dress, but hearing all the talk for the past few days regarding its color brings to mind a theory I have had regarding optics. That theory being that certain optics, regardless of quality, will produced different results based on the individual. An example...I looked through a NF Beast this fall. It was being claimed by many to be 'better glass' and clearer than their schmidt etc. To me, everything took on a blue tint, and the glass produced a reflection were I could actually see my own eye. i didn't discount the claims of the others, but I have a feeling that evry eye is different, and what may produce a clear sight picture for some, may not for others.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2015 12:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you will find much disagreement, Geordie. I have compared high end scopes side by side at gun shows, etc. I see a difference in tint from one brand to the next. Some exhibit a slight bluish color and others are clear, no hint of color, at all. I don't remember seeing pinks or greens, even though some objective lenses have a very obvious color coating. That's the extent of my technical knowledge as to the internals but these guys have secret coatings, multi layers, usually to defeat reflections and improve light transmission. But, I have read reports and reviews claiming that particular manufacturers have characteristics that enhance certain parts of the visible spectrums, like browns, violet, reds or something else.

All of this doesn't assure me that my lovely blue eyes see the same primary colors that you see? And, by the way, I am color blind. I was well into my fifties before becoming aware of this.

During a health physical event, there was a guy flipping the charts and I would smugly identify the number in the middle, one after the other, until....

I stared at one page of random dots and there was no number that jumped out at me, unlike the previous six or eight. I was dumbfounded! You must be kidding? Even after the guy told me the number and the colors, my brain couldn't figure it out. My Achilles is two light shades of gray and blue or violet, don't remember which?

However, people are so misinformed about color blindness, it's ridiculous. You know, supposedly, they can't distinguish between red and green traffic signals? It's all bullshit.

But, when it comes to very close shades of salmon, or seafoam green, or light blue and gray, it gets complicated. I can stand under hi pressure sodium in a parking lot, on a dark night and be unable to tell, with certainty, if a vehicle is dark blue or black or gun metal gray. At a glance.

So, there it is. People do see different colors, and I still have not googled the dress.

DAMMIT FRED! You better have a good excuse!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2015 01:08 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred said the snow was high as a deers back up north at the cabin.
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2015 02:40 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
This is actually kind of a big deal and it's not about the stupid dress. It's about color and how people perceive it. It brings into question what people actually see for color. It actually brings into question visual reality in general...which is a little scary if you think about it. As a professional artist this is pretty disturbing. Same could be said for anyone that makes a living from manipulating color such as graphic artists, graphic designers, fashion or interior designers, painters, or anyone else that has to rely on color skills. Heck, even that bassackwards redneck that designs or buys camouflage now has to wonder if it's really what everyone and everything else actually see's. It pretty much throws everything I ever was taught about color theory right out the window, or at the very least brings it all into question.

As for "why" this photo does what it does, it has to do with the cones in your eyes and how well they pick up light. In simple terms if you see well in low light you will likely see the dress as blue and black. If you struggle to see in low light it will appear gold and white. It doesn't have anything to do with color blindness, illusions, or being different photos of the same object. I showed one photo to my classes all day Friday, and about half saw it as blue and black, the other gold and white. Each side being very confident that what they were seeing was the color it was, and not believing the other when the saw it differently. I have perfect color vision according to all the color blind tests I've ever taken, but I see the dress as gold and white. So like I said, it has nothing to do with color perception and everything to do with light transmission through your eyes. Still bugs the heck out of me though because for the last 50 years I figured anyone with decent vision saw things the same way I do...apparently that just isn't true. I guess that explains why TrnCo see's himself as such a handsome devil.

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2015 03:32 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
if I do say so myself. [Big Grin]

O.K., so maybe that explains why my wife has to turn on a light in every room she enters, no matter how much sun light there is? And I am just the opposite? It has to be too damn dark for me to see before I turn on a light at all?
I always thought it was because I paid the electric bill, not her?
BUT, when she showed me a pic. of THIS dress, I saw black and blue and she did indeed see it as other.
SO now I guess I have to accept the fact that she just doesn't see well without lots of light?

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2015 04:39 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I seen it on TV it looked Blue and Black to me.
Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2015 01:48 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Cut to the Quick ! may not clear this one!
ROFLMAO

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2015 04:43 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Just got back from the farm, which thankfully has no internet phone, or cell service. Made one stand and broke thru a drift up to my tits, so that was the end of that! Snowed & blowed Sunday-Monday, so we shot skeet at the local club, drank LaBatts' Blues & ate like gavones. Alas, I don't have even the slightest clue about what's going on about a chameleon dress?

Will agree with what Geordie mentioned about Nightforce glass. Comparatively, it appeared to my eye to have a slightly bluish or 'colder' image. Crispy clear and 100% usable, just not awe inspiring...

As for this dress crap, I guess I'm obligated to see WTF all the hoopla is about?

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2015 04:50 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I see three different pics with three different color combos?
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2015 05:13 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose that once we get the color question settled, the next question will be;

"Does this dress make me look fat ??"

[Eek!]

--------------------

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2015 05:20 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
 -

[ March 03, 2015, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2015 05:47 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Koko- look at the bright side.
Some of still got all our teeth and were still standing up to pee...
It could be worst...
[Big Grin]

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters