The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Crunch time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crunch time
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2015 07:49 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the first round of neck epidural shots did a really decent job for me. Back to work after three and a half weeks on the sofa. And, back to doing some killing before we hang up the calls. Although that isn't likely.

About ten days before I hurt my neck, we'd received a call about a large pack of coyotes shadowing a calving operation. The owners said 8. First morning out, they lit up and I have never heard a pack that size before in one spot. We have taken a total of 8 coyotes off that section since and the guys are only seeing a coyote maybe once every five days, instead of seeing 6-8 each day. They're happy.

Got flagged down by a guy Thursday who asked me if I'd been by his house lately. Raises show horses. Has another group of 8 hanging out in the pastures behind his house and across the road from him. Raise hell by his pens at night and scaring his horses. Told him we'd shake them up a bit.

As of this morning, we are 1 short of our all time record for a season with 94 coyotes. I have a lot of respect for guys who hit these numbers on a regular basis. It gets harder and harder to do each year as I get older and fatter. My shooter, Kevin, and I Have both had shots in our backs and necks this year just to keep us upright and mobile. Will be back out on Tuesday morning at sunrise.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2015 05:56 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Go get 'em, Lance!

As I headed to work this morning, it read 11 on the thermometer, and I lamented going to work--would have much rather been in a pasture someplace with the caller on!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2015 06:22 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear that the CDude is doing better, but please remember; the shots are not the cure. The shots just ease the pain while the cure does or does not happen.
Don't over-do it and try to avoid that phrase "Y'all hold my beer and watch this". [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7587 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2015 11:38 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah be careful there big fella'

Home today cuzz my back went out again !!

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2015 09:09 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
95! Tied our best year this morning. Called and killed one in four stands. Headed down state to an appointment then meet my gunner about 30 miles south of town to try some more. And yep, being careful.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2015 06:23 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
And,..... 96.
Sunday is the next day out.

--------------------

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2015 10:45 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
And so it goes. We are done (usually) as of the last day of February. The only killing we do after that is by invitation. well, yesterday after I'm getting my epidural shots, the guy that gave me the shots is giving me home care information and he asks me if I'm the guy he was told about that kills coyotes. I tell him I am and he asks me to come down by his house and clear some out. Can't leave his dog outside, day or night, without them coming around.

Then, an hour later, we get another call from a guy whose having all kinds of trouble with them around his calving operation in the extreme opposite direction of "Needles" by about thirty miles. Got our name from a "former customer". Even the dog runners are giving our names out as the go-to guys to call. This is when and where I wish I was getting something besides permission to hunt in exchange for my time and energy. But, it's still a lotta fun.

Sunday may be a bust. Big snow storm moving in and may be a bit hard to get around. See what it looks like at sunrise I guess.

--------------------

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2015 06:10 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, last weekend sucked, but we got up there yesterday morning and today. Got to the first area and had one looking at us from a field alongside one of the corrals. He died. Had two more a half-mile down the road walking down a drainage to a thicket below the winter calving pens and I rolled one but we couldn't find it. I was sure I got him. Oh well.

Kept working different areas and saw a number of coyotes but couldn't get a shot. One was coming in, threading through the cedars when the wind did a 180-degree switch and sent a snootful of stink right into his face. He got away. We did whack a mucho-nasty mangy female that the truck guys flushed last week but couldn't kill. I had her coming in down a fence line ten seconds into the stand so damned fast I didn't think I'd get her stopped. But, I did. Forever.

Last stand of the morning near the main complaint, we got sat down and ready and I told K-man that one of these stand we were gonna call, like, four or five. Damned if that caller hadn't been on but about a minute when five coyote heads lined up about 200 yards away just over the rim of a ditch. Two peeled off and started going to our left flank to get downwind. They corrected to approach the caller and K and I had the chance to do the old 1-2-3-shoot. BANG, and both those coyotes folded at 40 yards. The other 3 had stayed back at the tree line and I watched the one I hit do a couple flops then jump up and make this wide arching run to the left and back around to where the caller sat in front of us before piling up and dying. The whole time, the one K dropped is just stone-damned still. Kevin remarks about one of the other still standing at the trees and as we both begin to line up on him, Kevin's coyote just stands up, looks at me, and beats feet the hell outta there. LOL K hit him again going away but he got into the next pasture and never looked back. LOL

Nothing moving today. We were heading north to the complaint area when we spot a pair about 200 yards off the road in the grass. They begin trotting left to right and the smaller - presumably the female - is carrying one hind leg and limping on a front one. Pretty rough shape, so I shot her and put her down. We call about five stands and see nada. We're about a mile from where we say the five so we decide to defy the odds and return to there, go in deeper, get closer, and see if we can make anything happen.

Well, I started with this very unique coyote vocalization I got from Rick Paillet called "Big Coyote Howl", followed by some of his different rabbit sounds, then some puppy distress with no coyote. Kevin is sitting to my left and he says, "Give'em something they can't resist." and I reply, "I just did." So, I go big. I don't usually use a challenge bark howl without them starting things first, but Rick has this mp3 I titled "Coyote Brawl" that pisses me off when I listen to it, so I let 'er rip. About five seconds later, a coyote slips into a very small window through the creek trees at about 180-190 yards and just stands there like a pointer with one front leg held up. Cross wires are on his shoulder about 2 inches above dead nuts center and I stroke the remote to a less in your face sound and he still just stands there. F it. I shoot, and down he goes, crappie flopping on the ground. I need proof of death and I ain't chasing another damned coyote, so I line up on him as he stops for a moment to chew at his flank and thump him again. (Ar15).

-

The gap in the trees just above the coyote is the keyhole I was shooting through from the brushpile you can see as a grey lump on the horizon right above the coyote's hip. I love those types of shots.

Good times. 104 and 105 for the year. I'm ready to hang it up and let my aches and pains rest if the farmers will just stop calling.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2015 08:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell are you shooting, Lance? Bullet, load, etc?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31488 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2015 02:18 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad yur feelin better!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2015 06:42 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Paul. Slowly less pain with each day.

LB, AR15, DPMS lower, Black Angel upper, shooting 55-grn Vmaxes from Bulkammo.com. Don't have powder, specs. Bought a thousand rounds of what they had before the big crunch way back when. This rifle has a heavy 18-inch stainless 1:8 barrel that I zero dead on at 60 yards, and gives me dead shit out to 200 or so. I had a nice Burris scope on it that I decided I didn't like, and had a Chinese made Center Point 4-16X40 $75 scope getting ignored (and I can't afford the big bucks glass these days) so I threw it on this rifle and for a cheap-assed scope, this thing rocks. At sixty, when I zeroed it, I put three under a dime, dead center. The only other thing I added to the gun was a Witt Machine muzzle brake to steady the sight pic after the shot. Bought that gun to use a throw gun, figuring I'd use my 22-250 most of the time and I've been carrying around the same 8 rounds for it all winter long. LOL

On this particular shot, at that range, I wagged it holding about an inch under the top of the shoulder line behind the front leg, maybe 1.5 inches over dead center mass.

[ March 09, 2015, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2015 05:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thanks.

What I'm getting at is the cripples and flopping around mentioned in the previous post. Without getting into marksmanship/shot placement and all that, usually it's the bullet, but my experience with 55VMax is, they are damned good killers, and accurate.

The only other thing would be velocity from an AR with an 18" barrel.

$75 scope? Never heard of such a thing?

So, just curious? Thanks for the info.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2015 08:16 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta love the .223. [Eek!]
Posts: 1626 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2015 08:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gotta love the .223. [Eek!]
BINGO!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2015 09:13 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Only took me about a half a year to realize that Cartridge wasn't for me.

Good Hunting Chad

Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2015 10:25 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
2015 is going to be a great year for me.. upgrading to 22-250 from .223..

Wish my combo gun had a 22-250 ;-(

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2015 11:10 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Once on 22-250 have never looked back (re.coyotes)

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2015 12:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Fer crying out loud, the upgrade you speak of is of another order of magnitude; it's Ackley Improved!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2015 12:43 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Right again LB.. IT will be interesting to push those coyote killers through my suppresor at those speeds..

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2015 06:23 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Think what you will, but 75% of my areas don't see me needing a gun that shoots over 100 yards. I wasn't a big fan of .223 either. Then, I started watching coyotes drop one after another and decided that carrying that little .223 was easier than my "fucking anchor" .22-250, as all my shooters call it when I ask them to hold it. Besides, a lot of my places offer just as much chance of seeing a 'cat and I hate trying to unpucker my asshole every time I burn a round at a bobcat with my .22-250, hoping the damned thing doesn't explode on impact. I usually carry 3 guns at some point during the season. 12 gauge for in the thick, .223 for out to 200, and .22-250 for the pastures where I'm looking at shots out to 500. Not to mention that I just can't find a way to pack 20 rounds in the box on my bolt .22-250 and multiples are common as shit around here. LOL

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2015 02:54 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't know what it is about the .223, I rarely have a Coyote move when I shoot it with my 17 Tactical using 30 grain bullets. Same thing when I was shooting a .204 Ruger and 35 grain bullets. And almost never with my .22-250 AI with any bullet. But it was amazing how often it happen with my .223. And what's funny is it seems every predator show I end up watching when they are using an AR 15 .223 its the same time and time again death sprints on over half there shots. Go figure

Good Hunting Chad

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2015 05:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know either? It's just a subpar tool for harvesting coyotes. And, yes, I have seen the runners on video. That's another thing, these guys just can't shoot?

Even watching the Alaska reality stuff, shooting at bears and wolves. I watched one last night, must have sent ten rounds downrange at a weasel with the trusty AR. These people do not appear to be very acquainted with scoped rifles; gee, they kick? Seldom a one shot, one kill situation, and nobody raises an eyebrow?

I never said I was some kind of expert marksman but I am careful enough that I expect BANG/FLOP, and usually get it.

I want a cartridge and bullet that are lethal for the game at hand. Not too much to ask, is it? If I have a coyote flopping around, there has to be a reason: bad bullet or poor shot. As long as we have what JH used to call surgical precision, that animal is going down, or some kind of adjustment is needed.

Somebody said once: "Use enough gun." I will second that!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: Lance, I don't mean to pick on you, far from it. I appreciate your input. We are just talking here. That's what we do, talk about the bullet, the rifles, the quarry, etc. PEACE, BRO

[ March 11, 2015, 05:53 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2015 05:32 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
No offense taken here, LB. All good input. In the past - especially after going to the .22-250 platform - I wasn't a big fan of the .223 either. But, that was when AR's were generally subpar shooters, or at least, the ones I'd see were. Spray and pray. When I first got my AR, my intentions were to use it essentially as a truck gun for targets of opportunity and use the 250 on stand. Found out rather quickly that I didn't need to. Once I started gaining some proficiency with it, I was easily able to do everything I wanted to do with it, and generally with one shot. The secret is refusing to think of this gun as anything but any other bolt gun, and resist the temptation to panic dump empty mags.

I was genuinely surprised and pleased with the performance of this rifle on coyotes. But, with that said, I use it almost exclusively in areas which present shots of well under 200 yards, if not under 100. If I'm setting up on grass where I can see 600-1000 yards where there is little ground cover and we are generally just sitting or lying on the side of a hill, I'll haul the 250 with me and plan on them checking up at ranges of 350 and under, but only if I have to.

I am very lucky to have one, and often two excellent gunners with me. Used to like hunting alone. Not so much anymore. Fifty and fatter than I used to be, I like having someone with me just in case. Also, hunting alone makes it hard to not allow life to intrude in my thoughts when hunting which pisses the fun right out of a good time. A good friend along keeps me focused and distracted from the day to day bullshit since most of the time when I'm hunting, I'm hiding from something that I need to do but don't want to do.

Having a good gunner allows me to steer the coyotes to them. Even if the shot is long for me, I often have a shooter in close and very much enjoy putting coyotes in front of other guys to shoot.

Are there better guns? Probably. Probably worse gun, too. Can't afford to keep upgrading so I just shoot what I have and it seems to do the trick.

As to the $75 scope. LOL Once upon a time, I made a remark about a high end caller that was used to call coyotes. I made the comparison that you could do the same thing with a cheaper caller and the results were the same. I believe that my analogy involved lawn mowers or coffee machines. That whole deal caused a shit storm that had some asking for my job at T&PC. Editor told them to play nice and "no" on firing me.

Either way, I've never had the best, and don't foresee ever having those things. I don't accept free shit from people just so I can say that theirs is better than everyone else's even when it ain't, so I have to settle and I finished out the season three coyotes ahead of my gunner who uses a Nikon of some breed on his AR and isn't at all competitive, according to him, but who always knows exactly how many each of us has killed to date and where. My grandpa was a dead eye sumbitch on all birds, and all he had was a rattly old Winchester 12 gauge that he reversed the safety on himself. That guns in my safe. Bluings all worn off. Stock is all scratched up. Total piece of shit, but he was second to none shooting it and he didn't need anything fancier than what he had.

[ March 12, 2015, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters