The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » I'm guessing there is an event in Pomona?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm guessing there is an event in Pomona?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted February 07, 2015 11:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been hearing dragsters this morning?

I live about ten miles east of the Pomona Fairgrounds and apparently the wind is right because it's very loud. Might this be what they call the winternationals?

Woman next door big into that stuff, her father is like in the hall of fame, called the Mad Greek? I'm pretty sure he still gets appearance money at these things? Her husband died but was a well known driver named Bobby Baldwin. I'm betting Paula is over there, right now?

Good hunting. El Bee

There goes another one....

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2015 11:30 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just at a swap meet in Pamona not to long ago. Didn't know you were so close .
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2015 12:22 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The NHRA Winter Nationals Drag Race is on. 1st event of the year and pretty much (for me) the Daytona 500 of drag racing.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2015 01:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Must be a pretty big deal? Been loud, (like right now) for several hours, more like four?

Yes, Upland is a sleepy little bedroom community nestled between Claremont and Rancho Cucamonga and north of Ontario on the main road, (Mountain Av) to the ski areas of Mount Baldy. pop. 77,000

My interest in drag racing more or less ended in high school. Back then, it was street racing on Friday or Saturday nights, much like American Graffiti. Then, they got organized and you needed things for safety, (scatter shields, etc.) and the hobbyist got pushed out of the way. Nothing wrong with that, but it changed the dynamic, for me. Became more corporate....

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2015 01:11 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the "Golden Greek"? Chris Karamesines is the only one that comes to mind, been around since the early days of dragsters & sill shows up to race, must be 80+ yrs young.

--------------------
mike

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2015 01:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's him. I can never remember the name? I think he actually lives in Chicago. Usually, I see his rig out front when these things are going on but, maybe he's not up to it, this year?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2015 01:40 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
He's not listed as one of the top 16 qualifiers (yet) but there's still one more chance to make the show (if he's there to race).

--------------------
mike

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2015 02:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been quiet for an hour or so? I remember, might have been last year, or a couple years ago, they were pretty excited that he made some sort of level? Like I said, basically, they just pay him to show up, don't expect too much. I have met him a few times, he's not a particularly lovable guy, or maybe it's me?

Now that I think about it, he would be down there anyway, not here? Maybe he drops in after the races or before? Hell, I don't know? Paula was thrilled to death when he was inducted. The guy that used to sponsor Bobby's car lives with Paula, now. As you might expect. My goodness, what a gossip, am I!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2015 07:17 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, replay of Qualifying is on espn2 as I type. Hot Rods still give me a chubby, no desire to compete but I still enjoy listening to a engine whine.

--------------------
mike

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2015 08:46 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Uh.............Those vehicles DO have all of the appropriate Calif. Emissions Controls (Smog Devices) yes ??

[Confused]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2015 07:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
They don't even have a license plate, koko. Write your congressman!

It will be more of the same today but I'm leaving town for a little R&R in Yucca Valley.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2015 08:15 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
NO PLATES ?????
OUTRAGEOUS !!!!!!

The bass-turds in Calif. used to make me put Commercial Plates on my pick-up trucks even though I was not using them for commerce. Just another $$ scam for the state. The only up-side was that I could park in Loading Zones.........and did every chance I got.

Just one more reason to flee Calif.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2015 11:20 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing quite like the ground shaking top fuel or top alchohol shaking you to your core to get the juices flowing!

Here in Great Bend, Kansas, we have the dragstrip where it all started. The very first NHRA Nationals happened here in 1959...dragstrip is still going.

We host one of the Lucas Oil series races yet.

If you want to see something cool, click on this link. This twin-engine dragster was the NHRA World Champion in 1970 and 1971--it retired as a world champion as I understand it the class it ran in didn't exist after '71. Guy in the red shirt, RC Williams is from my hometown of Russell, Kansas, and the driver in this video is a good friend of mine.

Dragster now resides in Great Bend, Kansas in a storage facility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OukwZl_vsg

[ February 09, 2015, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters