The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Landlocked! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Landlocked!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2015 09:07 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had quite a few dogs come to a stand. One time, on the Navajo res. we called in sheep dogs on probably 75% of the stands. Interestingly, they all look similar, not much variety.

But, usually, a couple dogs, less common, a single which usually means there is a farm near by.

I have had a few coon hounds come in to a night stand and gladly get in the truck. That can present a problem if the dog has I.D. and such.

I remember one time on the border, we had a german shepard type dog follow us from stand to stand for well over five, maybe ten miles? Never actually closed the distance, I guess he was just curious?

We have a few places, mainly the high desert where there are feral dogs roaming and you need to be careful. I don't know if actual documented cases of harassment of children waiting for a bus, but these dogs are genuinely wild, more wolf-like than coyote. Some of it is suburban legend, of course, but I have seen them and it's comforting to have a rifle in my hands.

Vic used to have a dog, Bootsie that reminded me very much of my redbone except mine didn't have a dark saddle. Very sad how he lost her.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31333 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2015 09:36 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Went out this morning for a couple stands and took the pup again. He shows great interest and readily loads up in the truck and heads for the travel kennel, seems anxious to go and enjoys being in on the hunt.
First stand, we bumped a pair on the two track going to my first stand, I just let the truck crawl, and watched the coyotes trot into the open tall grass pasture until they were out of sight. Stopped the truck, walked out to a corner post, and started calling.
Big male came in at about the two minute mark, the pup was milling around me, but not paying attention. Im getting about a 60/40 split of attention versus screwing the pooch, but he is a pup?
Coyote bounced thru the knee high grass, spotted the dog and locked up at about 40 yards to my left. I had to twist my stool and knees to the left to make the shot, and the coyote seemed oblivious to the movement while staring at the pup.
Drop dead shot, pup didn't spook at the report of the rifle, smelled it halfway there to pick him up, trotted over, raised his hackles and sniffed him over thoroughly.
 -

[ February 10, 2015, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1601 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2015 09:42 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice picture. Good looking pup.
Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted February 10, 2015 10:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
He has an intelligent stare.

I will say this: if I were searching for a typical ranch dog from CENTRAL CASTING, he would be perfect.

Good post Vic. I see you figured out how to post pictures?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2015 05:08 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't figure anything out, it just worked my last two attempts, I don't know what I did right this time, nor what I had done wrong, the last several times they failed to post?
Your spot on Leonard, the pup is nothing more than a ranch dog; but a ranch dog that likes to tag along hunting with his old man. I would never pretend to know how to train a dog for coyote decoying; you need the right dog, right equipment, and the knowledge to use them. If all he does is make an occasional hunting companion and fools a coyote now and then when he is along with me, Im a happy camper. His main purpose is watch dog around the place; keep the wetbacks and javelina from hanging around, and Im good.
Brent, along Cal, are the real deal coyote dog guys here, maybe Brent will throw up a few photos of what dogs he is currently running on his jobs now?, He always has some good ones.

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2015 05:59 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice Vic !!

Oh' yeah, my wife and daughter say he's cute [Big Grin]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2015 08:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really all I would expect from a dog. Just a companion, and hope he doesn't get in the way, or drag too much mud inside. I wouldn't keep him in a cage, he'd be riding shotgun and nosing all the windows.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: tracking a cripple would be his job, too. But, I don't want my dog chasing coyotes...like them airdales!

[ February 10, 2015, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2015 12:06 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
You old softie; I can see a hound in your future, slobbering all over your interior windows, with your truck smelling like a wet dog.
My trucks have never been anything special, but I paid good money for them and try to keep them clean. I just can't abide having a dog in the cab with me. Hell; there's been a few people I would have preferred ride in back, much less having a damned dog riding and slobbering in the cab.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2015 12:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I must have had a well behaved dog? I don't remember all that?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2015 11:05 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
One last update; I don't want to prattle on about my pup, he's just a dog, and we all have or had one, but had a very interesting morning.
First stand had a small but pretty little coyote come charging in, had enough time to get the dogs attention while it was coming in. The pup spotted it about 20 yards from call and when the coyote stopped to sniff the call, he made three hops forward and did his version of a big dog growl. The coyote damned sure looked, but put it in high gear and tore off, not even a hint it was curious enough to stop. Pleased myself with an 80 yard quartering running shot, like she had hit a trip wire.
Third stand is where it got fun. Within three minutes had a big adult pair coming in from way out. The dog was milling around behind me, I called him repeatedly until he finally came over and looked like he knew what he was doing. If I tell him sharply the word "listen", he will usually spend the next two minutes intently looking all around, but he just couldn't seem to make the incoming pair, but the grass was high from his view I suppose?
When they got close, I could see the big male slow down, but the bitch came right to the call, circled and lock stared with the pup. Easy frontal shot at about 20 yards. The big male just half circled to our right at about seventy-five yards looking at the dog. I kept urging him to go out a bit, but he was just froze, sitting looking at that coyote.
The big male put his head in the down low position and zig-zagged to within 50 yards, turned sideways and started challenge barking the dog. I liver shot him, he ran 20 yards and summer saulted in a pile.
I used some hurt coyote distress for a minute or two, and I'll be damned if I caught sight of another pair coming deliberately from 200 yards out. I quit calling, got the dogs attention again and pushed him out in front of me and told him to listen again. He caught sight of them this time pretty quick, but he did nothing more than sit right at my side at attention.
That pair spotted the dog right off, and without ever making another sound with the caller, I bet they stuck around for 6 to 8 minutes. Coming in to within 30 yards, raise hell and challenge bark, then retreat out to 100 yards or so, back and forth, three or four times. I had the crosshairs on both of them several times, but just couldn't bring myself to shoot. I just wanted to see what would transpire.
Im sure Brent,Cal,Jim and Kelly have seen this scenario hundreds of times, but a first for me, to see it play out right in front of me. I have to confess, I almost felt guilty killing the first pair because it was so easy. I could have killed the second pair three times over, but decided not to shoot them.
Way different actions and reactions from the coyotes compared to my normal calling setup with just me and a call, then adding the dog in the mix. Im not sure it's my cup of tea, but I can see where the guys that have to kill coyotes, it can be a real game changer.
 -

Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2015 12:07 PM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you could get hooked? Get's interesting doesn't it... You can mold the dog into whatever you want, I am going to pull gear at the end of this week I'll try to stop by next week if you have time..

[ February 17, 2015, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Brent Parker ]

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2015 12:09 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Great story! I am sure that if he goes with you on enough stands, the 'wolf' in him will come out when the switch finally comes on!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2015 04:21 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Brandi

My first video attempt. It is harder doing all this by yourself. [Smile] You obviously have to put the I-phone down to pick up the rifle.

<laffin>

[ February 17, 2015, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2015 04:57 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Im not sure it's my cup of tea
First thing, please remove me from the 100's club. I'm still in the novice, "several" classification. [Smile]

Now that you're back, if you keep taking him, and he takes to it, it WILL be your cup. As long as you have been calling coyotes, a dog adds another dimension besides the camaraderie. You will see your dog do things you never would otherwise, and see coyotes do things you've never seen and would swear they never would. Today was your first dose with a young pup. It's only going to get more satisfying.

I get a bigger kick out of watching my dog do her thing than I do when I make a particularly good shot. God knows, she feels the same way, too. LOL

The biggest detraction is that weather doesn't put us out amongst 'em when a dog would be the most beneficial. You'll see a bunch run off. You'll see a bunch lock up and stare. You'll learn to just shoot them. But now and then, you'll be on a stand for 30 minutes, and it will seems like you just sat down when you get up.

Welcome home!

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2015 08:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe not a fair opinion, at such an early stage, but the pup doesn't seem to know what he's there for? Like the above clip of Brandi. She KNOWS why she's there and can't wait for the action.

AS far as a dog on stand, in general. I have heard Vic complain most vigorously about JohnHenry's dogs. That guy had a far different attitude and concept. Well, whatever floats your boat, but I don't know if the future of coyote hunting depends on having a sharp dog scouting for you? I admit, I have not seen enough of it, just Higgins' dog Mattie. And, she sure as hell had the concept.

Like was said above, next thing you know, you've been there thirty minutes.....when you could have shot the damned coyote within five and moved on. But, since man does not live by bread alone, there is the pleasure of watching those things happen that you never saw before.

I know it's not really possible, but wouldn't it be interesting if somebody like Cal could train a pup coyote as a decoy dog? Now, that, I'd pay to see.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit:
quote:
"several" classification.
yes, perhaps, but when I call central casting, I am looking for somebody exactly like Jimenez to play the part.

[ February 18, 2015, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2015 10:31 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

What J-H dog Mickey did in the beginning and the end are two different things. I know I kept her for a couple years in the end, she was smarter than him and it pissed him off. She didn't cast out or run around she knew the coyotes were coming to the sound... But she was very good at reading a coyote to make it stay around until you shot it. Didn't matter if it was in 30 seconds or several minutes. I modeled Lilly after her and in our country it works very well.
We all have our own styles and want different things but the outcome is the same. A dead coyote.
Brent

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2015 01:46 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Fun aint it Vic.
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2015 06:06 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Still wasting away here...
 -

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2015 06:31 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Fed how much snow have you had for the winter? Did you get hit as hard as Boston?
Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2015 07:35 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure Eddie, but down here its prolly 1/2 of the 7-8 feet that the NE area has gotten...

I actually really like the cold and snow of winter! Once it gets below 20 or so, the cold begins wreaks havoc on heavy machinery, hydraulics, etc, so that makes work a friggin' PITA.

Might be able to get up to the farm tomorrow! Farmer plowed the way to the house & said he could almost see the front door behind 5 feet of drifted snow! There's PLENTY of snow up there in Central NY, and sub-zero ambient temps to go along with. Will have to strap on the snowshoes to go make stands...yippee!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2015 08:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I actually really like the cold and snow of winter!
That's just sick!

Different strokes, and all, but cold and snow is miserable conditions! People are engaging in hand to hand combat over a shoveled out parking space!

Sorry, Fred. Couldn't help myself. I like summer. I was born and raised in Minneesota. You can keep your snow and cold!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters