The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Landlocked! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Landlocked!
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2015 07:41 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like winter came all at once here. Recent snowfalls have kept the NYC sanitation on "emergency" on/off for the last few weekends. That translates to our shop being open 24/7 to accommodate them, and I can't get away to go play in the snow upstate. Aside from a quick weekend in Okieland, winter's been a bust for calling!

Thankfully, got this little red dog and enough woods close by to keep both of us entertained, as usual! Keeping sharp on the squirrels & coon...

http://vid12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/fredo411/videos/8E9A0640-0021-45C0-8A87-16B5D5FE569C_zps9z3apwjm.mp4

-

-

-

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2015 10:12 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Fred...A man is fortunate to own one good dog during his lifetime. You are very lucky.
Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2015 04:35 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
^^ Real well said. "Good" is a relative term, though. I've been blessed with a few that fit MY definition of good.

Good stuff, Fredo. Stay safe!

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2015 04:53 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. He doesn't miss a beat and keeps me on the straight & narrow!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2015 09:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I got an email from somebody? who asks why you waste him chasing squirrels?

But, I agree. In my life, I have owned dogs. A few seem to stand out, like my redbone. She was a beautiful dog, looked a bit like yours, only bigger and leaner, and she would go right up trees, a real climber. Wasn't aggressive but she never backed down from any dog, I guess she was a modified alpha type. Yes, possibly my favorite, she drowned in the pool. <sigh>

I had one other that stands out. Mimi was a AKC papered poodle but don't let that fool ya. She had "birdy" instincts like you wouldn't believe, could catch sparrows stealing her chow. She was more of a flushing type, not pointing but loved the field and was very careful with rattlesnakes. Wouldn't chase a rabbit if her life depended on it; that was for chumps. She would change anybody's preconceived opinion about poodles, just a regular dog.

Everybody keeps telling me I need another dog for a companion. I have been thinking about it for years, but it will have to be a special dog.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2015 05:33 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
....why you waste him chasing squirrels
Chasing squirrels and sending emails third person to a board where everyone hates your guts seems kind of redundant......no wait, chasing squirrels makes more sense.

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2015 05:40 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I need to take my "squirrel girl" out again. Maybe this weekend.

-

-  -

OK, I finally figured out this picture stuff for this site only.

I brought the essentials, except the Aunt Jemima.

-

[ February 04, 2015, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2015 05:36 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you two, Dan! You got a pretty girl there...
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2015 07:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Fred. How come you don't get shit about moving from New York like I get about getting the hell out of The People's Republik? Just wondering?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2015 10:50 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I get shit about that all the time!

Akin to your fascist state, the urban political power base somewhat ruins living in an otherwise wonderfully diverse & beautiful state.
My family is small & tight knit. Mom is too old, and niece is too young to actually pull up roots. Likewise, for my line of work. So, for the time being, im stickin' it out...

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2015 11:24 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
....good to know.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2015 04:01 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I was up in Peek'n Peak for an archery tournament a few years back. Up state has some beautiful country. Just like Northern Cal. Stayed in Pine grove Sutters creek area with some friends back in the 80's.

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2015 07:30 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Ive put off getting another dog for many years now. Ive been very fortunate to have had three really good dogs in my life thus far.....two more than I deserve.
I pulled the trigger last month and got a pup from a guy I used to work and hunt with. So far, this guy is showing good smarts, very curious,obedient,and thus far, fears nothing. I think he is going to be a good one?
 -

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2015 07:34 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of dog is that?

--------------------

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2015 10:56 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
He's a spotted, bat eared, needle toothed, hand chewer.
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2015 02:31 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like he's part heeler(Australian cattle dog)
Good luck with that one my current dog April is a red heeler mix and is my favorite dog she is loyal to a fault afraid of nothing loves to hunt coyotes what little time she gets to do it anymore. but without a doubt she is not the brightest dog I have ever owned we refer to her as simple. sorta like in the south 'bless her heart'. Would not trade her for anything.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2015 06:43 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought "cattle dogs" were supposed to be really smart dogs.

(added) I thought the same for constitutional scholars and presidents too, for a while anyways.

[ February 06, 2015, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2015 08:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read the question, what kind of dog is that? I was thinking of that old joke: "Well before I cut his tail and painted him yellow, he was an alligator."

That is an odd looking animal, but you can see the curious in the eyes.

As far as Paul's dog, bless her heart. She is also persistant, as when making friends. That bump on her head kinda sets the tone.

Anybody have a hound pup they want to git rid of?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2015 02:40 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Vic, is your new pup gun shy? I have owned a couple 3 or 4 healers and only one wasn't gun shy, tough lil' bastards and loyal is what comes to mind when seeing one. Hope it works out for ya both.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2015 05:00 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice looking dogs by everyone. Vic's pup really caught my eye though..
[Cool]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2015 05:21 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
IMO, a good dog (your own definition) ranks pretty high on the must have list. Good luck to you, Victor. Hope he makes the grade.

A random phone call last night may have secured Bella a running mate...and a much overdue trip to Oklahoma.

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2015 06:05 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Still wasting time here, now running coon tracks back to dens...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/fredo411/videos/87ACE515-8BC5-441B-BE4F-3CE4F2688490_zps3w40pn6w.mp4

I prolly woulda named Mr Vic's up "Frosty". Those heelers sure are cool dogs! One dairy farm I hunt has a red heeler named "Rusty". He's a cantankerous SOB, I dig him...

Jimzy, oh no you didn't!!!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2015 08:51 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Thus far the little guy does not appear to be gun shy, although it has only been exposed to two rifle shots last week on an evening stand.
Everyone has a different idea about what they want in a dog when it comes to coyotes. All I want is a hunting companion, ie; extra set of eyes and ears, and a good nose. With those tools, they can tell you a lot if you pay attention to them on stand. I also like a dog to trail and bay an injured coyote, and this pups nose is showing promise, he uses it constantly when out hunting with me, and I encourage the behavior.
Im not a member of the decoy dog fan club; I don't like a "busy" stand, with a dog running around, while Im intent on looking for an incoming coyote. For my style of calling, I find it to distracting, or possibly, Im just to damned lazy to train a dog properly for the task.
I had a Texas Heeler years back, that's a blue heeler crossed with an austrailian shepard, that set the pattern for what I'd like to see this pup do. That dog would sit or lay 10 yards in front of me, looking intently all around, I could tell the second he saw something I didn't, which was fairly often. He would never run out to engage the coyote or run it off, just sit there until the shot. If it was a drop dead coyote, he would wool it some, if it was an escapee, he would quickly run it down and kill it.
I never cared for him running in to kill them, I would have preferred him to dance around and bark, but he had other ideas and I just didn't know how to stop that behavior?
Im not planning much more hunting this year, but I will take him out a few more times for laughs, but at just five months old, he is fairly young to expect anything profound?

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2015 05:24 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Vic, your thoughts on a dog, remind me of one I'd have liked to have taken home with me.

On a stand out in the Book Cliffs, long time ago, way before the current oil boom, used to be a pretty out of the way place.

Anyway, couple minutes in to the stand, here comes a heeler of all things! He runs straight up to the caller, circles it until he got my scent, followed it straight to me and for the rest of the stand acted exactly as you just described.

With one exception. He kept looking at me, with a look on his face like - "we're gonna get one a them sumbitches ain't we?!".

Just very obvious that dog had been on a few coyote stands before!

Stand over, no customers, I got a strange dog on my hands! Had on a collar, but no tags. Just about the time I was fixing to start looking for his people, we heard someone calling for him. He looked at me like "sorry, would love to do this all day, but I gotta go!" and off he went.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2015 06:44 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Most cattle dogs I've met are smart Dan , that's what make April special.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters