The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » California water article

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: California water article
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2015 09:35 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought Id post this up if anyone is interested in reading about Californias nut crop/water woes. We make our living in this industry, and I defend it..but politics, power and greed play into the whole thing....classic California water issues.

http://billmoyers.com/content/invasion-hedge-funds-almonds/#.VMpgKWkYkC8.email

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2015 12:00 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. Started it, realized I need to find more time but, I will get back to it. Yes, I believe all the signs. And, have seen all the "logging".

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2015 05:29 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I remember you talking about the well drilling frenzy & such a while back. I had found something about wells drying up.

It all makes sense now, I guess ?

From what I'm reading because of the price of what nut crops are bringing. Farmers and farm corporations can justify the cost of drilling wells,instead of standard irrigation to get around the lack of a snow pack ?

Looks like Central Valley could be, dying a slow death, as the one guy in the article mentioned, It's like watching a slow train wreck.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2015 06:13 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep Dave, it aint looking good. Idaho is looking better and better?

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2015 07:04 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, might as well start thinking about heading up. My guess is were 20 years behind Kalifornia ?

That gap could be closing though ?

I here rumors the next wave of Kalifornian's is coming ? It's still pretty good here, sure ain't what it was 20 years ago though.

Ag is strong right now. I see it coming though, farm land is disappearing all the time, due to urban sprawl. A Walmart, neighborhood market just opened right next to one of our better customers.

Dunno' it's all good (sorta) but. the handwriting is on the wall.

[ January 29, 2015, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2015 08:36 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like California is starting to take action to curb ground water pumping. The problem is the politics of that state will surely fuck it up.

Reading this reminds me of when Arizona had to take a hard look at our water use. It was crammed down our throats by Jimmy Carter. He basically said that we had to take action to stop the large overdraft of ground water before he would give Arizona its Central Arizona Project (CAP) allotment. After we took action and started regulating water allotments they gave a huge amount of the CAP water to the Indians.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2015 02:22 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
So, Mark. Do you guys call almonds, almonds or amons.. [Big Grin]
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 02:42 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Almonds or ammons haven't heard that debate in years. That's some funny shit Dave.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 02:55 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
My son has started a business on this water conservation problem. He goes into large homeowners association properties and audits their irrigation systems. Then he install flow meters and new internet based controllers and takes over their watering duties with the controllers linked to weather stations. He controls the water remotely from his phone computer or Ipad if there is a break in a line and an unusual flow the systems shut down automatically through readings on the flow meters he makes his money on the equip installs and the water saving annually along with a monthly monitoring fee. Pretty sharp kid. He started out installing irrigation for my old company and learned quickly to dislike shovels.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 08:23 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I can foresee Calif. making such systems mandatory. Do it for the children. A modest cost at first.........like the smog devices. A little more each year. We need these regulations. Ignore the man behind the curtain.

[Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 08:53 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, 1st I heard of it was yesterday. I was selling a part to a dairy farmer who came up from Kalifornia the "Delta" ?

Anyway I mentioned some of the stuff in the link and he goes on about amons. He says when the tree is harvested it shakes the (L) out of almonds.
[Big Grin]

[ January 31, 2015, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 08:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
And, if Dan, (the man) was here, he would point out that; in addition to the L, what happened to the "D"?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 09:10 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll look into that !!
[Big Grin]

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 12:48 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, that is cool, I love initiative and smart thinking. Wish I had more of both lol.

John Deere, like everyone, have moved into the water conservation business, and have smart technoligies that we sell and install, to monitor water use for growers. It consistes of a probe with multiple sensors installed in the ground ( by hand, it aint fun) in certain locations, that tells them, among other things, which exact area of an orchard or field, needs water, and which parts do not, so the grower can save water( and money) by pinpoint irrigation, instead of putting water on the entire orchard or field, which is common practice.

It allows a guy to also tell how long it takes the water to penetrate to the root level, so you can control water duration. All this is monitored by smart phone or computer.
The probes were invented and perfected here by a local grower, and Deere bought the design and hired him to run the program. I sat in on the intial intro and launch, and it is pretty neat.

Dave...amons for me : )
The Delta is up around Sacramento area. Its a giant fresh water system that drains into the ocean. It is used for farming but it is also the best fishery in the state. Major bass fishing tournaments held there year round. I have fished it myself and it is truley awsome. Being an ocean outlet, it is tidal. You also have sea lions up in there, and when they pop up next to your boat it a bit scary lol.

The Delta is also ground zero for the whole salmon (or samon?) and Delta Smelt debate.

Dave, just had a meeting with the Optimizer guys, said they just came from Campbell, those things are a pain lol.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 01:30 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting stuff.

Optimizer ? I'm lost there, and you say those guys were just up here Mark ?

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 03:53 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, big ass single pass implement. Takes a shit ton of horsepower to pull it. Your the Idaho dealer for it now.

Welp, gonna go get ready for some calling tomorrow...80 damn degrees here, supposed to be winter!

Mark

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 04:35 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Well thanks for the heads up bro'

I'll have to google and see what were getting ourselves into..Lol

It reminds me of when we became a Shulte dealer last summer. Nobody told us counter guys, a guy called from Nevada and I said were not a dealer. He says well according to the website we are !!

Sure enough he was right !! Ah' good times !!

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 04:41 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, sales dont communicate with parts lol. Actually, nobody communicates with the parts dept?
When they really should...parts departments are like the asshole of the dealership...everything goes thru it.
Pretty crude...sorry : )
Mark

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 04:58 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Very true my Amigo..

Communication always seems to be an issue ? I'm not anti sales at all. I've sold cars and RV's in the past, never understood the barriers ?

I think, I'm going tomorrow also. I think it was 50 degrees here today, bright sunshine, feels like summer !!

You need to come up sometime, and go calling in the snow. Not that we get boatloads of it, but, it's pretty cool..

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2015 05:51 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Love too someday!

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 08:29 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda slow this morning, foggy. Just watched a video, that baby's pretty impressive for sure !

Looks like it discs-plows and harrows all in one ?

the 18x40 ft weighs 42-46000 lbs !!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 09:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Dave. Just think how impressed the country boys are? Bet they are still talking about it! Optimizers, Boy Howdy!

I was in the nearest Tractor Supply, up in Yucca Valley, (90 miles) about a month ago. They didn't have any chicks or baby ducks like they did when I was there previously? What's up with that? But, they did have damned near anything I could ever want, to medicate my stock.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 09:28 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Farm equipment is exciting! Not.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2015 10:17 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah exciting !! was just tangled up with a guy on a manure spreader.

Fun.. [Big Grin]

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters