The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Fused neck anyone? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fused neck anyone?
Colorado Coyotes
Knows what it's all about
Member # 62

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2015 08:01 AM      Profile for Colorado Coyotes   Email Colorado Coyotes         Edit/Delete Post 
PM sent

Dave, let me know how to contact you, phone, email etc.

[ January 16, 2015, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: Colorado Coyotes ]

Posts: 35 | From: Hoehne Colorado | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2015 08:22 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm daveslc at hotmail dot com.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2015 08:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd have a helluva time staying on a scope, prone, for five minutes even right now.
Me neither. I can't do that. Actually, my neck condition affected my job; just looking up, in an industrial environment and evaluating runs.

As if I needed convincing on the epidurals, the above information, on the one hand and a testimonial from another about flying to the coast regularly for the treatments. Like they say, every case is different.

Also, I'm thinking I am not so bad off after all? Some people are really fuked up, physically.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 16, 2015, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2015 05:49 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Mom all of a sudden, I should say this developed over the summer, can't straighten her neck out to even look straight.

Back is getting more hunched all the time. I'm not sure how she drives. When she arrived in central Oregon for Thanksgiving, after driving over the Cascades on, Ok but. so-so roads, I about shit myself.

Oh' yeah it gets better. She's insisting on driving over next weekend. So we can hopefully find somewhere she likes to live.

Thanks for letting me vent. I hope everybody's necks are Ok.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2015 10:51 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I'd never read this thread. Woke up yesterday morning around 3 am with the intensely sharp pain in the right side of my neck, right where it makes the turn to my shoulder. I just froze where I was lying as I have been through this exact same experience twice where I moved just a little and pop, pop, pop, the disk bulges and I'm on the floor sweating and screaming. I laid there for a few seconds, got my wits about me and slowly sat up being careful to keep my head still. The pains shot down my right arm though my deltoid, around the outside half of my forearm and into the outer three fingers of my hand. Well, shit. [Frown]

Got up around 6, texted my partner that I wouldn't be hunting and tried to stabilize my head for some more sleep. Got up again at 8 and drove myself to the ER. They gave me a couple shots in my ass and handed me a script for 2 rounds of medrol packs which my neurologist always tries first. Thank God they were willing to accept my suggestions. Partly because the RN there is a long time friend from my EMS days. Pain not as bad today, but still coming and going. There is little that scares me enough to not go hunting, but having my neck go out a third time is definitely one such thing. I have never experienced pain like I feel when that happens. Makes you shit nekkid babies, and shit. Well worth avoiding. I have learned the early warning signs of when that disk is getting irritated and never, never ever ignore them. Always reminded it's there when I try to shave with my right hand. Get to a certain spot on my face and my hand just drops the razor. As far as epidurals, have had two in my back and two shots in my foot with just steroids. Duckdawg's description of my back shots is spot on. Levitated over the bed screaming. Took most of 24 hours to kick in but when it did, the pain was gone. Man was not meant to walk upright.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2015 12:00 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck Cdog hope you recover soon.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2015 12:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I was down in Cabo a few years ago, bill fishing. On the third morning, went to get my buddy from his cabin and he couldn't even get out of bed to answer the door.

He was laid up for the rest of the trip, on "de plain" and until he got home. I don't think he even had any pain stuff?

So, I had the Panga to myself, best day of fishing I ever experienced. He acted like he was happy for me? I think he was, anyway?

I've never had something like that, a sudden catastrophic spasm. Not how my condition works, thus far?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2015 01:35 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, Lance, if you hadn't read this thread, mayhap you would have tried to tough it out, gone hunting, and REALLY put yourself in da shits.

Hope you're feeling better soon !!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2015 05:00 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Two and a half days in and still laid up. Oh well. Been here, dun this before. Too hard to get the Tshirt on - hurts.

Was supposed to be back to work today. Called my dr yesterday and tried my damnedest to emphasize that I was in severe pain. "We can see you a week from Tuesday at 245." I'm gonna piss them off and just get better on my own. That'll show 'em.

Lying still awake and in pain at 315 this morning, I dragged myself back to the ER and pleaded my case for pain meds. ER put me on Norco. Not enough to get me to my appointment, but it'll take the teeth off when I need it to. My biggest concern is that we have the Kansas Predator Challenge this weekend and I'm an official. Might be delegating a lot of my work out. Oh well, my cross to bear.

I don't do laying around very well.

Oh, and BTW, all this down time gives one the time to reflect upon your actions. I'm thinking I can recall what I did to cause this. Always a specific cause.

Two days before this "hit", we were working a call where a rather boisterous pack of coyotes is shadowing a group of 97 first calf heifers just starting to calf. We have the coyotes pretty well ID'd to a 20-acre patch of thickets. We were setting up on the north side of it the other morning and I first tried to work from prone along a waterway but once I got laid down, I had to crook my neck too much, felt it strain a little when I tried, but gave up and repositioned to a large tree sitt9ing next to my partner. A single coyote came out and I dropped her at about 165 yards. She was about 200 yards from either of two roads and I chose to carry her to the one that was all downhill. I took a shortcut - rather than hog tying her feet and carrying her like a suitcase like I usually do, I just grabbed a foot and held her off the ground a bit and walked out. Rifle over left shoulder. Coyote in my right hand. Just heavy enough and just far enough to cause this strain. My 16 year old brain betrayed my fifty year old shoulder and neck again. Drats!

Had a retired railroad guy once told me that any injury or accident can be tracked back to at least one of the three "M's" - manpower, machinery, or method. Right again.

[ January 20, 2015, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2015 07:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What's with this shit where they won't give you pain medication when you need it?

I just got some Norco that must be effective because I had to sign one of the same forms they shove at me for the morphine sulphate. It looks the same as before but now it has a 10mg dose instead of 5. As of now, I'm breaking them in half, for what is called, on the label; "breakout pain".

So, the doctors are afraid that they could get you addicted to this stuff. And, then, it would be just like Russ Limbauh.(sp) When the press finds out (the well known writer) Lance Homman is strung out on Norco, there will be hell to pay!

And, that's why you aren't getting relief. Your doctor is doing you a favor, and thereby keeping you out of The National Enquirer. You should thank him.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 03, 2015 08:25 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, eleven days after my neck blows, I finally get to see my new doctor. He orders an MRI, the next day. I get there and cannot tolerate lying down for the 20 minutes it'll take to do the test despite having 20 mg Norco and 10 of valium in me. Sonofabitch, that hurt to lay down. They're trying to put pads under my l
right arm and make me comfortable and I'm starting to swing my good arm to clear them back so I can get the hell up. One of the techs suggest we call doc and get the ok for a CT, and he ok's it. Takes them a full damned week to get the results back. I have been so pissed for the past several days. No need for this delay. So, this morning, they call. Finally. My regular disc to go out is c4/5. Turns out that c5/6 is out this time. "Medium to moderate bulging". No shit. 4/5 is fine. Whoodathunk? C3/4 shows some "foramenal narrowing" which I think has been there for some time. Said surgery isn't indicated at this time and they wanna go conservative with epidurals. I say schedule it for yesterday. My boss is on my ass for missing work and I don't do "laying around" for shit. He seems to think I enjoy being in pain, walking around with my arm over my head and not sleeping at night. Still hurts like a bitch, but I have a little more meds to take the edge off. Could always be worse, I guess.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2015 08:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
He who shall not be named is worried for you, Lance. Maybe you should drive up to Minneesota where they have a decent facility?

No, I'm not gonna be teasing you. Must be bad, but somewhere, somehow, there is somebody that can fix you up? In the meantime, don't do anything stupid with a handgun.

Exactly how did this all start? Some kind of accident, or what?

How much was your copay$ on the MRI?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2015 10:00 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Internet being weird. Double posting, delaying posts, etc....

[ February 04, 2015, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 04, 2015 10:08 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
This is actually my third time to deal with this. Everyone in my family has some sort of back/ spinal problems. I have a lot of stenosis all up and down my back. Have had shots in my lumbar twice and have a number of places where the hole in my vertebrae is narrowing more and more (Stenosis).

The first time it blew, I triggered it by loading and unloading an entire pickup load of topsoil with a shovel and "working through the pain". The second time, it just happened. This time was carrying a coyote a couple hundred yards. Have never done more damage that a bulge, no ruptures, no physical damage to the nerves themselves, and in both prior instances, I got it back under control with just some physical therapy. Probably be the same this time since they just called and cannot get me in for shots until March 9. I talked to one guy that bulged the same disk pulling wire in a new house, hand over hand. If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. And yes, it could be worse. It could have happened in Minnesota.

My co-pay will be $100. I had it done at the hospital where my dr's office is. Sadly, if you get scheduled for an MRI or CT anyplace else, anymore, they don't give a shit how much your co-pay is (mine is $100), they want you to pay upwards of $400 up front before they'll even schedule you for the scan, and flat out tell you that you can submit the bill for reimbursement because they don't agree with the agreed upon amount with BC/BS.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters