The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » gossip time (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: gossip time
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 12:52 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

These were my Dad's. I don't think he ever had the JS player to go with them though. What I do know he did with them, is copy them to tape. Reel-to-reel tape, not a little cassette.

Then he had this great big, ginormous, heavy as hell reel-to-reel tape player that took a shit load of D cells, and a metal horn speaker on a long cord.

All my earliest coyote hunts, I didn't get to carry a rifle, I had to carry that damn tape deck. It worked. I was pretty young and had nothing to compare to, but looking back, it worked real good.

But what a PITA!

When I got to be a teenager and started going out on my own, it was hand calls all the way baby. Dad have moved on to a JS cassette player by then, but I didn't even want to be bothered with that. Just a hand call or two in my pocket.

Eventually, quite a few years later, I started using the Foxpros and became enamored with them, especially that remote control without a cord and being able to easily get the sound away from me a little bit.

Anymore, I'm just a push button caller. I do still carry a few mouth calls and even use them, fairly often, actually, but I've become pretty much addicted to that push button calling.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 01:01 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, those look mint!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 01:38 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
DAA........seriously......are you my kid??

When I worked in SE Asia during the Vietnam war era I was at Clark AFB in the Philippines. I bought a TEAC 5" reel to reel portable tape deck and ordered some Johnny Stewart 45 rpm's just like the ones in the picture. I then went to an electronics shop in Whittier and bought a 9" paging speaker and 50' of cable. I put the records on tape and took the gadget hunting when I got back to the US. Let me tell you.......it was effective. This was before the 8 track days so I put the thing on the front seat of my truck and played my music tapes on the machine, too. Since we mostly hunted at night we didn't have to carry it too far but I did make some daytime stands with it with some success. Nothing like a Foxpro, tho.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 02:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
When I started, there was a cautionary tale about a couple guys sitting in a cab at night with the windows down, blowing on a Weems all call. Then, a bobcat jumped in the window and all hell broke loose. I remember this was related by Glenn Spainhour, a club officer, with a straight face. And, wide eyes in the audience.

I never had the record player. The very latest was something called a Port-a-four, for four track tapes. It was about the size of a container for a propane Coleman Lantern, with a handle on top.

Nevertheless, my first "portable, I made myself. I had access to sheetmvetal working stuff, shears, breaks etc and built a box to enclose speakers and a state of the art Motorola 8 track tape player. About the size of a loaf of bread, I tediously drilled a gazillion holes for the speakers.

Then, I made another box for an aircraft battery, that I bought from Sears Catalogue, had caps with check valves to prevent leaking while doing barrel rolls.

Then, I made a backpack for all of it, the purpose was for walking up cats, plug in the tape deck and a spotlight and believe me, it was worth it.

This rig was also useful for day stands even though it weighed more than twenty pounds. But, back in the day, I promise you, nobody had anything like it. I wish I had kept the damned thing just for the museum, and show Foxpro where their "original" ideas came from.

Yes, these new guys really have no idea.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31490 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 04:17 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Moe... Could be... That old tape deck was a TEAC. [Eek!]

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it still exists, among my Dad's things at our place in Caliente.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 04:23 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

I wish you'd have kept it too!

- DAA

--------------------

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 04:30 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
LB....here's what I know about a couple of stories I heard from the people involved.

Story one. Thumper McDowell from the Pasadena chapter was a professional musician. He got off work pretty late and was asked by a guy to take him out calling. It was a cold night and neither of them was dressed for it so they rolled all the windows down in the guy's station wagon while calling up in the Angeles Crest. A gray fox jumped into the station wagon through one of the windows and created a little havoc.

Story 2. Bernie Creamer, Old Timer on some boards, was sitting on the passenger side of a vehicle while they were calling at night somewhere off the road on private property. A bobcat came in on Bernie's side and he didn't see it. Bernie was moving his arm around and the bobcat attacked it ripping it up pretty good. Bernie told me this story a few years ago when I stopped in to visit him in Lake Havasu City. He tells it far better than I do.

I also have a story. A friend from work asked me to take him calling so I did. I had some property out near Hemet where we could get in behind a locked gate and make a couple of stands. You drove in from the road about 1/4 mile and passed the house then drove way back in another 1/3 to 1/2 mile to call. We got lazy and decided to just call from the truck while sitting in the cab. I started blowing on the call and a couple of minutes later my partner screamed bloody murder pushing himself against me. It scared the hell out of me. Finally I asked him what the hell happened. Well, when we drove past the house the farmer's German Shepard pup decided to follow us. My buddy dangled his hand out the window and was almost asleep when the pup came up and started licking it.

I shined the light around and found the dog just outside the truck by my door. It was all happy and wagging its tail so I got out and petted it. Funny stuff.

I was 19 when that happened.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 05:52 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know Bernie, very nice man. He was a member of Covina Chapter for a while. I remember he shot a 270Weatherby, coyotes. That's hardcore!

I asked him for a cartridge for my collection, he remembered and gave me one the next time I saw him. I still have it.

Actually, that story of mine would make a hell of a lot more sense with a gray fox. I'd believe that one.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I also have a story about a drunk squaw, out of nowhere, hanging on my arm, pitch dark. Scared the hell out of me!

How come we never met?

[ January 06, 2015, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 09:23 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, LB, maybe we did. Tawnoper's dad and I were in the same chapter and attended many of the same functions outside of the monthly meetings. He and and I remember stuff that happened but we don't remember each other.

When I joined the Pasadena chapter I was 20 but I'd been hunting with Art Parra for quite a while before joining. Because of what I learned from Art I hit the ground running. Since most of the guys were older than me I didn't fit into any of the cliques. I wasn't even old enough to go to a bar when I joined. Bernie was in the club before me but we don't remember each other from the old days but we remember events. I made all of the River hunts and as many club hunts as I could. I had to go to Hawaii, the Philippines and a few other garden spots I still can't talk about for a period of time, but I got right back into it when I got back.

When I joined we met down in the river bed in Pasadena but when I got back from working overseas we were meeting at various locations. In 1974 I moved to Alaska and didn't keep up with the club. Don Carper used to fly up to Juneau to go fishing every year and I talked with him a time or two. Other than that I lost touch with everyone including my hunting partners.

We talked about this some time ago but Pete Holfer was a good buddy and we did some calling together. I enjoyed hunting with Pete a lot. He could keep me in stitched for hours on end. Great guy. I know he died of cancer a few years ago. I'm sorry I didn't find him in time to talk with him one more time.

Art Parra and I were the ones who wound up getting the kit fox protected. At a club meeting Art took a big duffel bag to turn in the tails. Unfortunately there was a state DFG biologist there and when he saw the bag he came over and asked what was in it. We told him tails. He asked for a breakdown so I told him coyotes, bobcats and kit fox. He asked how many of each. I said like 6 cats, 8 coyotes and 89 kit fox. We did all that in 4 nights of hunting. He went back to work and got the kit fox protected. Some of the older members of the club including Carper tried to get the guy out to do a survey at night but he wouldn't change his mind. Funny because the area where we hunted the foxes was also great for pheasants. After the foxes were protected the pheasant population took a serious dive.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 10:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember once, we had a proposition from Pasadena, Chapter #1. They wanted a challenge hunt, San Gabriel and Pasadena. The negotiations dragged on but we never got past a location because Pasadena wanted checkout, check in at Little Lake. Most of the guys thought it gave an advantage to Pasadena because (apparently) they knew the area very well. Nobody budged and it didn't happen. Early 70's, maybe 1970?

Have you been by Little Lake lately? Nothing there. I remember long time ago, fairly decent restaurant. Burt down, too bad. Nothing there, now.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 10:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
PS, the way I remember the kit fox deal; there was a lot of chatter about protecting them so a couple guys, might have been from Orange County they took the Fish and Game guy out one night. Apparently, (the way I heard it) they called well over fifty kit fox and killed a bunch of them. They went away thinking they convinced the guy that they were very plentiful, did not need protecting.

However, the report the guy turned in was that these critters needed immediate protection, or they were going to be wiped out in short order. So, the effort backfired and they have been a protected, endangered species ever since.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 06:55 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I was still in the club in '70 but I lived out in Barstow. I drove into Pasadena for the monthly meetings but I wasn't on any committees so I don't remember anything about a challenge hunt. I know the San Gabriel chapter had some good callers in it and that Pasadena was fading out when I left. I guess there was a resurgence after I moved to Alaska. According to Danny, anyway.

When I was out in Barstow some of the club members I knew would call me up and wanted for me to take them out which I did a few times. I'd take them to a few good spots I'd discovered near Barstow.

Yeah, Little Lake was a popular spot to meet for our hunts but more often we'd meet farther up 395 closer to Bishop and various locations. After the first couple of years I seldom hunted the Owens except on the club hunts. My favorite area was east of Barstow. It seems the areas where I was going was seldom hunted. At least at that time, anyway. We headed into Utah a few times and found some outstanding calling spots with totally dumb critters.

I've driven past Little Lake a few times in the last few years but nothing is like it was. Too bad. Our club swarmed the place and the owners loved us for the spike in business. We had some rowdy members but they were overlooked.

My wife and I try to hit Las Vegas each Fall. She flies down and I drive doing a little calling on the way down. Sometimes I get into Arizona where I've had some incredible days. Seems it's feast or famine there, tho. My daughters live in the Phoenix area and I'd visit with them around Christmas.

--------------------

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 07:07 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
PS: Tawnoper could fill us in on the kit fox survey thing. His dad was part of the group that took the biologist out.

Protecting them was bogus. Most nights we called up over 100 of them with 6 or 7 coming in on a single stand. They needed to be managed, tho. Closing them down entirely caused a lot of damage to the pheasant and other game bird populations.

When that biologist spoke at our meeting you could tell he was hostile towards our hunting, especially at night. He tried to convince us that critters aren't active at night and we'd do better in the early mornings and late evenings. A lot of us tried to set him straight but he wouldn't listen.

He got DFG to do a helicopter survey on the kit fox but it was done in the daytime. They saw nothing so he concluded that the kit fox population was endangered. We all know that the kit fox is primarily a nocturnal animal but evidently he didn't. Our club decided to get him out for a night of calling but we could've shown him a few thousand fix and it would make no difference. He'd already made up his mind. They're legal to shoot in Nevada still but the sub species is different and they aren't as numerous. I won't shoot them these days.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 07, 2015 07:56 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, I don't shoot them where it's legal, but the reason is more like not wasting a bullet, or not bothering in shooting jackrabbits, after bigger fish to fry. I don't normally shoot coons, either. Why fuk up a stand for an animal like that?

I saw a kit fox dragging a jack, once. Crossing the I-15 somewhere around Barstow, I think? Nearly equal in size, it was kinda funny.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 08:13 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been stopped and grilled over kit fox many times. They take that shit serious. I tell them the same thing what LB said...they aint worth fucking with even if I could shoot them.

Right where I live here, there are (San Joaquin) kit fox studies ongoing, and if you hunt enough around here, youll be stopped and questioned at some point.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 08:00 AM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I believe Gary knows his shit and nearly every one of his posts are interesting and well written. I'm not boot licking, it's just how I see it. He doesn't look for fame and fortune, or people to like him, he just kills shit.

Same goes for Krusty (minus the coyote killing- sorry Krusty [Smile] ). If he and Gary had a site, I'd read it all day long simply because they put a lot of thought into their writing and their use of the English language makes everything enjoyable. Even if I don't agree with a point of view of theirs, at least I'll enjoy reading it. They're smart guys and I can appreciate that.

[ January 09, 2015, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Chris S ]

Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 10:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me tell you something, Chris. Clever Gary may be highly intelligent, he may be the most handsome man in town, and you may enjoy reading his shit every day, but.

He is an evil son of a bitch. And, he has some warped concept that what he thinks is also Devine. Literally. He is pretty close to the most chickenshit man I have ever known. He has had a hard on for me for 15-20 years and I don't believe I ever actually harmed him or did anything to him personally? I think it's strictly philosophical, but I don't know what's involved, or care. Yes, he claims to be a champion of the english language. Whoppity do!

He's also a fucking Fascist. There is no compromise, it's his way or the highway. Then, there's this: He singlehandedly destroyed our State Organization out of jealously. He never could win anything, which made it justified, in his mind. Apparently, the one person that helped him dismantle the CSVCA, Don Jamroz is now on his shit list? At least it sounds that way from reading a few things he wrote?

If that asshole is your hero; you bear watching, Amigo.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: Chris, I am very disappointed to know that you are drinking his koolaid. Do yourself a favor. Find another Hero.

[ January 09, 2015, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Chris S
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 10:54 AM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't say Gary was a hero, LB, I said I enjoy reading what he writes.
Sean Penn is a communist but he's a damn good actor and I still like his films.
I run with scissors, keep an eye on me anyway.

Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 12:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I stand corrected. You didn't say Gary was a hero, it just "sounded" like you thought so, to me.

Sean Penn might be the best actor who ever lived but I detest his politics and won't spend money to watch his movies so I can't have an opinion about his films. He's an asshole, by the way. He might be an Allstate safe driver too, for all I care. He might swing both ways, and probably does, but just because we lump Clever Gary and Sean Penn together doesn't necessarily mean they are both commie fags.

Yes, you run with scissors...(oh my god, your custom title has a typo!) and enjoy watching Sean Penn movies and reading Clever Gary's posts, but you still bear watching.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Chris S
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 12:29 PM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
HA! Sean Penn was the only pinko commie I could think of at the time, so that's who I went with. I've never paid to see a film he was in, and won't and that stretches back to the time before I knew he was a commie.

I went out of my way to post that I WAS NOT BOOT LICKING in the original post.

And YES, I purposely posted that I ran with scissors so that you'd notice the error! Maybe I am just as diabolical as you think!

(I've heard both sides of the hate story from you and from Gary. His side of the story doesn't skew my view of you and your side doesn't skew my view of him.)

[ January 09, 2015, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Chris S ]

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 01:56 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe I'm getting into this, BUT....Gary is on a vendetta against the calling clubs in California and is making his views and accusations public. I frankly don't give a rip about how articulate he is. What he's doing is reprehensible. Right now he has given more ammo for whoever it is that's against predator hunting than any of the people he's accusing of poaching and hunting illegally.

As I said, he's hurting the entire community. If you ain't got nothing good to say..........

--------------------

Chris S
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 02:07 PM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
Calling a spade a spade is reprehensible?

Poachers aren't reprehensible?

He's railing against the morons that sit idly by and let the shit go on. Sitting on one's hands because they don't want to rock the boat is worse, IMO, than being a whistle blower.

Reminds me of the good cop-bad cop code of silence.

[ January 09, 2015, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Chris S ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2015 02:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, old buddy. You don't know shit about this issue. I'm surprised you have an opinion about something you can't possibly know anything about. Just your use of the word poacher is ill-advised. And, ignorant.

Also, I suggest you stop defending that asshole or, you will (for sure) piss me off, and you know what that means.

I'm not kidding, I don't want another word out of you on this subject, starting now.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Chris S
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2015 04:50 AM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
That didn't go over very well, now did it?
For the record, Moe brought up the word poaching, not me.
You're a little bit on edge these days LB, relax a little, it's not worth the stress, compadre.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2015 09:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, Moe can use the word poaching all he wants to, but you can't! However, I don't see, in my cursory review, that Moe brought it up?

You are drinking Gary's Koolaid, and that lying son-of-a- bitch is an evil man. You have praised him enough on HM, do not push it. Actually, I can't figure what makes that asshole tick? He's definitely a NAZI type, it will be done his way or not at all. What he is, is a turncoat, a traitor and a friend to the bunny huggers. I'm telling you, if he was on fire, I wouldn't piss on him! There's something wrong with that boy.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 10, 2015, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters