The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » gossip time (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: gossip time
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2015 09:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Noticed Dan, (the man) is talking about shutting down PP? Says Higgins has no interest, so might as well since it costs him $300 a year. Of course, others say no but don't offer to pay the $300. And, that's what happened to Coyote Gods...as far as I understand, anyway?

He who shall not be mentioned got in trouble over there and (I think) got banned? Maybe he will start his own board, running out of social places. Like I always said, just don't piss me off and he never managed to do that....just everybody else in cyberworld.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS but, don't worry, I still hear from him; regularily, in fact.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31269 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rifleshooter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3983

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2015 05:21 PM      Profile for Rifleshooter           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, thee shall not count thee chickens before the hatch. They are in business for the next year. Dan (the man) can foot the bill indefinitely, you know that.

--------------------
The pen is mighter than the sword, but is no match for a Colt.

Posts: 29 | From: CA-AZ-MT | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2015 06:13 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the fact that Dan brought it up, and we all know he has more money than God and could host the site well into the next millennium, but he said the purpose was for Higgins to involve himself. And, he said that Higgins has no interest, so it begs the question, why prolong it? Just so Clever Gary and Fruit Loops have a place to hang out? Okay, maybe that's enough?

By the way, since nobody gives a shit, the recent BOARD WAR Armistice, through mutual agreement between myself and Dan, (the Man) resulted in two unusual events. First, Dan is reinstated on The New HuntmastersBBS.com, and second, I'm now a member over there. Neither of us has made a post, yet, but who knows?

I'm as shocked as anybody! You can be sure of that.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2015 07:05 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy the board over there actually, even though I sometimes dont agree with some of thier shit, but it's pretty dead. I just dont see a reason to keep it? But, most every predator calling forum has dwindled down to a trickle. Except, you know, PM...single handedly saving the sport of predator calling.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 06:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not counting my chickens, since I don't give a shit. Historically, I look at PP once every six months which is twice as frequent as PM.

But, as I think about it, really; Scotty needs it, more than anybody, it's his identity. Dan, if you have any compassion, keep it up and running, for Scotty's sake.

While you are at it, can you pay for HM too? On second thought, I haven't been contacted, maybe I paid for two years?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 07:45 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I will piss some people off for saying this which is not my intention but the direction of that board took a turn for the worse at some point. People want to learn and discuss predator hunting, not air their grievances about other boards and the people on them. Constantly harping and running down individuals turns people off and some of it actually hurts us all.

Some of the talk over there has damaged the community and I think it needs to stop. But that's just my opinion.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 02:36 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
PP has never caught my interest.. nothing much goes on when I happen to stop by..

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 06:11 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Moe, I agree. It started out good enough but went more towards predator monsters than some place to learn.

Maybe forums are getting outdated? Other than this place, I've almost quit reading any other forums. I get on FB and skip over what everyone had for lunch and go straight to a couple of gun groups to buy or trade. But even that is limited.

Maybe we do need another e-caller war... Nothing brings out the numbers like a good old fashioned Internet fight.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 06:36 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe forums are getting outdated Tom ?

This place seems to have the right blend of personalities IMO to keep things interesting.

Example, when guys post up dead coyote pics here , it always seems to be @ the right time. I can only look @ so many and it's boring..

It's like guys have to prove themselves. It doesn't take very long to read a guys post's and figure out he's killed or can kill coyotes.

Haven't read PMS in months..

(edit) checked there today. Yeah, it's pretty dead. I have no issues with anybody and they've always been friendly to me.

[ January 05, 2015, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 06:45 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
It's kinda funny, this is old software with no advertising. Leonard didn't update to the latest fashionable program nor has he accepted the need to turn this into a money maker and its stood the test of time.

Who'd of thunk it?

Edit, I checked in over there a few weeks ago and it was pretty dead. I have no issues with anyone there either. Just nothing to draw me over there.

[ January 05, 2015, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 08:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Have actually been considering an update for quite a while, but it just never seemed important enough to pull the trigger. And, it would take two upgrades to get on an even keel; kinda complicated but my son-in-law is quite capable, been with Apple for 25 years in Cupertino so he's the guy I lean on.

I never claimed to be a computer wennie. It can be done, if necessary. I just have not felt the need, and, (believe it or not) there are people that like a simple basic site.

Some of you may know that this is the third edition of HM, hence; The New Huntmasters. Twelve years this month, very close to this date, not sure exactly? Go to the first page in this Forum and look for the first post, if curious?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 08:21 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm one of the ones that like this site for its simplicity.
Posts: 1550 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 08:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Your loyalty is well appreciated, Chad. And, you are one of the few that "get it" when I start talking about night hunting.

I also like simple. You can figure this site out, and navigate in less than five minutes.

The problem, and reason why I have been pondering a change is security. There ain't any, to speak of. I read over on PP about their sophisticated encryption. Makes HM seem very inadequate.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2015 08:58 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I do like this simple format, but a little upgrade wouldn't be a bad thing if it's needed.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 12:31 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If the it ain't broke........... [Razz]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7483 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 05:09 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid

My life motto

[ January 06, 2015, 05:10 AM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

NVWalt
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 06:10 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Seems that there really is only a couple sites on predator hunting that seem to have a decent bunch of callers in them with enough experiance to be useful to a novice. This being one of them. But some sites were just too full of themselves and down on just about anybody that didn't think or act like they think one should act.And what's with the "post a pic of your blown-up coyote to prove you shot it" After 50 plus years of calling coyotes it's just another dead coyote. My wife used to tell me "Oh boy...another picture of another dead coyote..LAME Walter" And I have to agree.

--------------------
Idiocracy. Started as a comedy and is now a documentary about the U.S.

Posts: 621 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 06:45 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
This has been a topic of discussion with a couple of my hunting friends and me.

The internet has brought out what I like to call Keyboard Killers. Guys who only read about calling on the boards then start giving advice like they've done it for years or the guys who hunt for all the wrong reasons like being an internet star. Or the guy who's killed one or two coyotes and then hands out advice like candy at a parade.

Some guys really have become successful callers and in a short time yet they want the stardom that the internet provides. They seem to get more pleasure from bragging it up than from the actual hunting.

Frankly, I think calling doesn't require a post graduate degree from MIT. Equipment to be successful is a rifle or shotgun, shooting sticks and a call, either an ecaller or a hand call. It's a cheap sport to get into. A little savvy goes into it but just about anyone with some degree of woodsmanship can catch on quickly. What makes a difference is the amount of time and dedication we put into it.

What I like about this place is that I haven't seen those types here. When I first got onto a board someone would ask a question so I'd answer it then before my keyboard cooled down someone would come right in behind me and contradict what I'd said. Pretty soon there were several other keyboard killers that disregarded my advice and the guy who asked the original question was so confused with bullshit he didn't know what to do. So I quit.

--------------------

tawnoper
Member # 497

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 08:41 AM      Profile for tawnoper   Email tawnoper         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah...what do you know Moe?! [Big Grin]

Okay, I got a question for you. Are people who say they are "successful callers", but only use electronics to call in their critters, really "callers"? Would you call a dj a musician?

yeah, I'm bored. [Razz]

Posts: 53 | From: socal | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 09:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to draw conclusions from a couple posts. But, over time, I can get the drift. Occasionally, once is all it takes.

When Moe began his cast of characters, I had an image in my head of exactly who he was talking about. In each example.

On this Board, there are those that are reluctant to offer an opinion, (for some reason) because they fear being shot down.

Actually, that's what I'm here for. I have nothing better to do than moderate, and if a poster is jumped on, I won't allow it to stand without addressing it, in some fashion.

Different points of view are always interesting. Sometimes, the old hands screw up and let slip some good advice. I encourage it.

I really believe we have a good staff available, ready and willing to discuss the finer points, or the more basic stuff, as needed.

So, thanks for participating, I appreciate contributions no matter how many kills you have. Or, I have. (thanks, Jimanez) To use a military term, "TIME IN GRADE" also counts for something, right koko?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: what's a successful caller? I'm not a purest, if you use a closed reed instead of the preferred open reed, you are still a successful caller, no matter that you only see an animal, one out of a dozen stands. Electronics work and they save effort and I use them. I can still manage with a hand call, God knows, I have enough of them, including the underreported, diaphram.

[ January 06, 2015, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 09:25 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I first got onto a board someone would ask a question so I'd answer it then before my keyboard cooled down someone would come right in behind me and contradict what I'd said. Pretty soon there were several other keyboard killers that disregarded my advice and the guy who asked the original question was so confused with bullshit he didn't know what to do. So I quit.

Exactly! I've tried to describe that before, but you nailed it.

You answer a question that has a concrete, factually correct answer with the accurate information. Five clueless guys come along behind you and say "well, I like bacon, myself". The guy who asked the question ends up ignoring your factually correct and accurate information and says "geeze, I'm glad I posted and asked, I'm going with bacon for sure, I love this place!".

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 09:50 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
"Oh yeah...what do you know Moe?! [Big Grin]"

Since you're one of the hunting friends I referred to I won't bother answering that one.

I've seen enough of Dave's common sense posts to know he knows what the score is. I seldom jump into a conversation but I'll admit that when someone is floundering for an answer and I have it I will sometimes get sucked in. I guess at my age I know what I know and one of the things I know is I'm not too old to learn. And other than where to go I'm willing to answer a sincere question if I can.

And, yes, I do like bacon!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 10:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in the above examples, not said, but understood is PMS. Fit's to a tee, at least the last time I looked? Maybe things have changed? ha!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 11:20 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
"Okay, I got a question for you. Are people who say they are "successful callers", but only use electronics to call in their critters, really "callers"? Would you call a dj a musician?"

LMFAO!

Tawnoper......your dad's description of an ecaller just came back to me. "Jukebox." Funny stuff.

I have hunted by myself a lot and I have used the Foxpro exclusively on those days. Although Johnny Stewart made a caller that consisted of an industrial grade 45 RPM record player and a paging speaker back when I got into this game I couldn't afford the $100 to buy one. That was okay, tho, because the $3 I spent on the Weems paid off. I called for about 10 years before I got a second and third call. Wayne Thompson had just made the first plastic calls that I know if and because at that time I was leading everyone with animals turned in he gave me a jackrabbit call and a smaller coaxer and asked me to give him a report which I did.

The first time I blew on the coaxer I was so wrapped up in the sound I wasn't paying attention. I was leaning against a Joshua tree in the California desert when a coyote came in so fast I didn't realize what was happening in time to stop him so he jumped on me and tried to bite my face. I knocked him away once and he came back. I finally got my rifle up and took a potshot at him point blank. Then my rifle jammed and he sauntered off unharmed. I know that hand calls work but I'd rather have the call out away from me these days.

But really. Does using an electronic caller make you more effective? I have never thought so. I've been out with guys that sounded so bad on a hand call but still called in a lot of critters. Even with and ecaller you have to know the same things to be successful, Mainly where coyotes are likely to be.

But then I'm not a predator calling snob [Big Grin]

--------------------

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2015 11:51 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
I was drawn to this board because it was a no BS kind of place—speak your piece, don’t piss off the big guy and everything is great . I am of the opinion that God gave me two ears and one mouth, and I try to use them in proportion.

I love the internet killer analogy! I think some people are so lacking in self esteem, they have to post enough stuff to see if something sticks and to see if they get approval from someone they don’t know, will never meet, and have never seen from halfway across the country. Kind of like the kid on the outside of the popular group in school that will do or say anything to get in good with the ‘in’ crowd and gain acceptance.

Hell , I love bacon, and have been known to clean the bore of my rifle with Skippy PB…outside of he who has no name, this is a place where one can still ask a question and get answers that aren’t condescending. I try to soak up all of the information from Fred, DAA, LB, Cdog, Kelly Jackson and the rest of you that have forgot more about the sport of calling, reloading and shooting than I have ever experienced.

There are some things I know a lot about and consider myself well versed, but this sport isn’t one of those things. Moe’s comment sums it up…”I guess at my age I know what I know and one of the things I know is I'm not too old to learn. And other than where to go I'm willing to answer a sincere question if I can.”

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters