The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » a moment of silence, please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a moment of silence, please
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted December 31, 2014 08:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Grand Canyon gray wolf may have been shot in Utah
LiveScience
By Megan GannonPublished December 30, 2014

After a 500-mile trek across the West, a lone wolf's journey may have come to an end this weekend.

A coyote hunter in Utah mistakenly shot and killed an endangered gray wolf, which wildlife groups worry was the same wolf photographed near the Grand Canyon this fall. That animal had strayed from its pack in the northern Rockies and was the first of its species to roam Arizona in 70 years.

The slain wolf, which was wearing a radio collar, was shot near the south end of the Tushar Mountains near Beaver, Utah, on Sunday (Dec. 28), the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (DWR) said in a statement. [In Photos: The Fight Over Gray Wolves' Endangered Status]

When the hunter realized the animal wasn't a coyote, he alerted state officials who then contacted the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The federal agency confirmed the animal was a 3-year-old female gray wolf that had been outfitted with its collar near Cody, Wyoming, earlier this year. Wildlife groups are still waiting to hear whether DNA tests will confirm that the wolf was really the lone female they had been tracking since October.

"This was a worry of ours," said Michael Robinson, with the Center for Biological Diversity. "Personally, I'm very saddened by it."

Gray wolves were wiped out from Arizona in the 1940s. That's why Robinson and other conservationists were excited by the news this past October that a gray wolf was repeatedly spotted near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Federal officials failed to capture the wolf to remove its radio collar, but DNA tests of the wolf's feces confirmed that it was a female from the northern Rocky Mountains population.

Although gray wolves have been removed from the endangered species list (and are even legally hunted) in some parts of the country, they still receive federal protections in many states, including Arizona and Utah. It's not clear whether the hunter will face any charges.

"This shows how vulnerable gray wolves are and how important real protection is," Robinson told Live Science. "What we need is a response that follows the Endangered Species Act and prevents these kinds of occurrences from happening again. We think a thorough investigation is imperative."

Robinson added that better education programs could help teach people what gray wolves look like and make people aware that the animals are endangered.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2014 09:59 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no sympathy. If they were going to reintroduce the wolves they also should've reintroduced the animals they preyed upon. Mainly the American Bison. I find it appalling that the people who wanted to reintroduce the wolves and the ones who want them to spread have absolutely no skin in the game. City dwellers, mostly.

I remember the posters and the TV shows telling us how noble wolves are. When I lived in Alaska I had an airplane and flew over frozen lakes in the winter where I saw the results of a wolf kill. Blood spread over the ice with tracks leading every which way. The wolves tore apart some poor moose. Hardly noble. In the Yakutat area wolves have decimated the moose population to a dangerous point. The state conducts aerial hunts every year to control the numbers but activists in the lower 48 threaten boycotts. Let them. A-holes should stay in the city.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2014 03:02 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel sorry for the coyote hunter that shot the wolf.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2014 06:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how they can do anything to the hunter, honest mistake....he says? And, who can prove otherwise?

So, the bunny huggers will fret and insist that everyone in the woods needs to take an ID course. That way, no excuse.

However, I agree with Moe. I think they are pushing wolves where they never were, in the first place, other than an occasional Lobo.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rifleshooter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3983

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2014 07:26 PM      Profile for Rifleshooter           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why he told them.

--------------------
The pen is mighter than the sword, but is no match for a Colt.

Posts: 29 | From: CA-AZ-MT | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2014 07:53 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"What we need is a response that follows the Endangered Species Act and prevents these kind of occurrences from happening again. We think a thorough investigation is imperative."
"..........better education yada yada......"
Center For Biological Diversity (A rabid anti-hunting group)

Translation;
(1) Make the hunter's life Hell. Honest mistake or no, he killed a sacred wolf & must be made to pay. Make an example of him to other hunters.

(2) Outlaw coyote hunting in 'sensitive habitat areas' {all of Arizona} so that this kind of tragedy cannot happen again.

(3) Restrict deer & elk hunting so that wolves have abundant natural prey.

(4) Use this once in a million occurrence as a public relation windfall to generate donations so that our important work can continue yada yada....

This whole affair will do little more than to convince hunters that it takes two bullets to kill a wolf. One in the lungs and one in the collar.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2014 08:16 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, that guys screwed. I can't imagine why he didn't just keep moving along.

Being honest, unfortunately doesn't apply in this situation.

I haven't hunted Oregon in several years now. I do remember the last set of reg's mentioned there were no wolves in Oregon, yet there was an illustration indicating the difference between a wolf and coyote and for coyote hunters to be aware of this.

Hmmmm ?

[ December 31, 2014, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2015 08:16 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
They put those damn Mexican grey wolves in the Apache/Sitgraves national forest. They wanted something like a dozen breeding pairs. Well they have more than double that number and the antis are still not satisfied. I've heard if the wolves go onto the White Mountain Apache reservation the Indians shoot them on sight. The wildlife service is already gearing up to set forth policy protecting them in the blue ridge area 150 miles away because they are moving in. In ten years they will be all over northern Arizona if left unchecked. There goes our elk heard and wolves kill coyotes too.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 06:10 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
One quick comment. If you can't tell the difference between a 3 year old wolf and a coyote, I damn sure ain't going hunting with you, and you shouldn't be allowed to hunt anything. That's kind of like the story of the guy shooting a mule and thinking it was an elk.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 07:41 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Cal's comments, but. Just maybe there are extenuating circumstances? Like, maybe it was poor visibility? Maybe he didn't see the whole animal through brush? Maybe it was long range? And, maybe he was a new hunter, had not seen very many coyotes, or wolves?

In other words, the situation wasn't exactly like mistaking a mule for an elk because, after all there are similarities.

Example: I have seen two animals through the scope at night, and an ID can be challenging. Think about a face on kit fox at 300 yards versus a pup coyote facing you, while looking into a rising sun at 430 yards. Maybe I'm a numbskull, but I have had some difficulty arriving at an identification under certain conditions.

Okay, I'm reaching for straws, but we can't know, for sure if the guy is a complete bonehead, or he made an honest mistake. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. [Smile]

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 08:48 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't we learned anything from Idaho's experiences with wolves???

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 09:54 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of years ago, some dog hunters turned out on what they thought was a big coyote. Turned out to be a 90 pound Great Lakes Wolf. Happened in Trego County which is about 2 hours east of the Colorado border.

Guess the dogs were pretty well being bested until the guy stepped in and ended the fight. The Feds took the carcass, but as far as I know, nothing happened to the hunter.

Saw a picture next to a normal sized coyote, and yes, I think even I could have told the difference in the wild.

Apparently this critter had been running around the area for a while, and most knew it was there...I have a suspicion they all knew what it was, but could never get it in their sights or close enough to catch it with dogs until they finally did.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 01:20 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure the anti's agenda on the reintroduction of the wolf has more to do with their anti hunting agenda period, on that we probably all agree. I mostly hunt alone and at night so I would be the one that would decide on what shot('s) to take or pass on but if and when I'm hunting with a partner or partners I have always tried to abide by a prearranged agreement or understanding on shot/target selection and who shoots first. Take Quail hunting as an example, I've never owned a great or even average Quail dog but have hunted behind some damn good dogs always mindful of only taking a safe shot (out of respect) but... if we were making a sweep and one of the dogs was attacked by a stray dog, coyote, cat or wolf, I'm going to stop the attack as fast as I can pull the trigger. For what it's worth there are cougars in my immediate area even tho until recently the game commission has denied their presence not only in my area but in the entire state of Oklahoma.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 02:46 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
Shooting a wolf in self defense all the while knowing its a wolf is one thing. Shooting a grown wolf thinking it was a coyote is completely different. There is just no way to confuse the two. I agree with some species LB. Here we have swift fox and at times they are pretty hard to tell between a swifty and a coyote pup. But the difference between a grown wolf and coyote would be like shooting someones dalmation and saying you thought sure it was a coyote.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 05:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just trying to rationalize, Cal. If you give the guy the benefit of the doubt, and he is moderately honest, then I'm just trying to figure out how the supposed honest mistake was made.

Now, you probably have it all over the rest of us, since I have only seen one wolf, in the field. He was between 300/400 yards and there was no doubt in my mind. Of course, I have a pretty good idea what a coyote looks like.

I want to be fair. Without being gullible, at the same time. If the guy is a predator hunter, I can figure it was some kind of mistake...and, as far as I'm concerned, BFD. I will shed no tear.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 05:51 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
11 or 12 years ago when checking out of the Kaibab (north rim of the Grand Canyon), my nephew and I described a scene that we had come upon to the AZGFD officer doing the checking. When we finished telling what we had seen, we asked him if wolves were in the Kaibab or Grand Canyon. His answer was sort of "not that we have confirmed". This much later, there is not a shred of doubt in my mind. Maybe not in numbers, but they're there.

The scene...no animals sighted, but a deer had been taken and COMPLETELY consumed the night before. Hair everywhere, blood everywhere, some small bone chips. Rocky ground, no tracks. No drag marks. Probably covered 10 square yards. The hair still stands up on the back of my neck when I think about it.

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2015 07:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I can relate to that. Although I only saw a single animal, I saw evidence, the next morning. The night before, it was quite an experience, the wolves were very vocal, and so were we, and the icing on the cake was the Northern Lights.

The next morning these wolves had been all over where we had been calling them. There was no kill but the spoor was everywhere, the footprints were unbelievable. I will never again ponder coyote tracks and wonder if they could possibly be wolf?

And, the urine! Everywhere. And especially the turds! Unbelievable, I mean, these were over a foot long, consisting of tightly packed deer hair. Never saw anything like that from a coyote, and there were coyotes in this area. But, we felt the evidence was a statement for us. Of course, they were able to tell that some humans were there, but maybe they also thought the WT sounds and the voice howling we did meant that they "might" have concluded humans and strange wolves were there the night before.

It was kinda spooky.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 07, 2015, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2015 02:34 PM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
Some page on Facebook posted an article about this and you should have seen all the anti's calling for the guy to be killed. It was awe inspiring to see how desperately these twats wanted a human to be killed in lieu of an animal.

[ January 08, 2015, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Chris S ]

Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 9 posted January 08, 2015 02:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Beyond pathetic.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2015 06:23 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Quote.
Haven't we learned anything from Idaho's experiences with wolves???

I'm not sure what you mean ?

I found this on the news for whatever it's worth ?
http://www.jrn.com/kivitv/news/No-wolves-killed-at-Idaho-predator-derby-287546961.html

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters