The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Private handgun sales (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Private handgun sales
Aaron Rhoades
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2014 09:27 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Most of you are aware of the new law in our state (I-594)that prohibits private handgun sales anymore among other things. Do any of you guys know about Idaho? Can a guy purchase a handgun without doing all the paperwork like we used to be able to in our state? How about Oregon?
Posts: 155 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2014 08:05 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Oregon so far has resisted the gun grabbers. None f the proposed gun laws made it to the floor the last two sessions.

I sent an email to the state senate majority leader who happens to be a Democrat. He sent me a personal email, not a form letter thing, saying that he and his entire family were hunters and gun owners and as long as he was in that position no bills would make the floor for a vote. So far he's kept his promise. There are a few screwballs in the Democrat party here that want a full Communist agenda passed.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 13 posted December 17, 2014 11:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds more like a lease, than ownership? I note that the State of New York has taken the next logical step and unabashedly will confiscate any firearms of recently deceased persons...."so they don't fall into the wrong hands".

Is this a great country, or what?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31321 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2014 12:16 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, nothing has changed in Idaho.

I was cruising Z-Idaho, that's a online classified site, the other day looking @ handguns. I noticed @ least a few guys will only sell to those who have concealed carry permits.

Interesting.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2014 12:38 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"If" I actually recall the original Calif law banning the private transfer of handguns in the 1990's required individuals to use a gun shop to lawfully transfer, complete with waiting period/background check and pay a transfer fee before the change of ownership was declared legal, assuming the buyer was ok'd to actually own a handgun. WOW! I actually typed that without puking!!!
Aaron, is that an accurate description of Washington states new law? If it is, you need to remember the chickenshit democraps when voting in all future elections because the total ban of "your" ownership of firearms is in your future. As LB & others say, vote like your 2nd Amendment rights depend on it in every election, because they do!

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2014 03:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Mike. That's my understanding of how transfers are supposed to work, in The People's Republik. All firearms, not just handguns.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2014 05:23 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if I (as a Washington resident) can travel to Idaho and buy a handgun privately without filling out paperwork, legally. Basically, if I wanted to buy a gun in the past I could meet the guy wherever, exchange money for the handgun, and head home and all was legal. Now I cannot, everything requires a transfer and on handguns, a separate form goes to the sheriffs office which shows up on your drivers license all handguns you own and what they are.
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2014 05:29 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
PP, here is the actual text. I don't follow the legal talk all that well but I think I have the gist of it. http://sos.wa.gov/_assets/elections/initiatives/FinalText_483.pdf

Seattle votes for our whole state, even with a low voter turnout they can control our state. Also with bill gates, paul allen and that other idiot contributing big$$$$, we didn't have a chance.

[ December 17, 2014, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Aaron Rhoades ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2014 05:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
shows up on your drivers license all handguns you own and what they are.
Is that the truth? Man, those Liberals just don't quit! Total control freaks!

I'm just wondering, if they say you got three and you only have two, what are they going to do? I suppose they would arrest you for transferring a firearm without going through the process?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2014 06:13 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
What about those handguns you owned prior to the newly passed law? I presume the only firearms that show up on your DL, are those which are recent and logged thru the SO.
Looks to me like the loophole is, any private purchase with you and a buddy or other consenting seller who also chooses not to abide by a new requirement, is you now have a firearm that you've owned for many years, well before the new law?

Posts: 1596 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2014 06:35 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know the answer to that, far as I know, it is the requirement from Dec. 4th onward.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2014 06:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well yeah. I think the State of Kalifornia has me down with about four firearms when in actuality, I have this XXX many. When I move to AZ, then what? Are they going to stop me at the river?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: the one's I had to suffer a waiting period on. However, I have custom stuff and gun show stuff that they have no record of. I mean, I USED to have some other stuff; it was all lost in the flood.

[ December 17, 2014, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted December 17, 2014 11:00 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, after skimming thru the first couple of pages of the link you posted I saw this,

All firearm sale or transfer, in whole or part IN THIS STATE INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION A SALE OR TRANSFER WHEN EITHER THE PURCHASER OR SELLER OR TRANSFEREE OR TRANSFEROR 'IS IN WASHINGTON', SHALL BE SUBJECT TO BACKGROUND CHECKS UNLESS SPECIFICALLY EXEMPTED BY STATE OR FEDERAL LAW.

It sounds to me like any out of state transaction/transfer of a firearm is lawful. But I'm not a lawyer and my opinion is only an opinion.

--------------------
mike

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2014 04:13 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Federal law probibits any person other than a licensed Firearms dealer, from buying a handgun in a state other than their state of residence.

[ December 18, 2014, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2014 07:08 AM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
PP, I'm wondering from Idaho's side, if they allow it.
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2014 07:09 AM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, isn't that referring to new guns?
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2014 08:31 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Not from what I was told, something about interstate commerce and trafficking gets the Feds all wound up.

I would imagine that if you're caught with a pistol not on the list, the swat team would have a word with you.

But I have been wrong before.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2014 09:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, theoretically, moving from Washington state to Idaho requires that you leave your arsenal behind? Just asking.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2014 10:23 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I would think moving and transferring (or selling) are totally different things. As long as your gun is legal in your new state, why couldn't you take it with you?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2014 10:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, seems reasonable to you and me......

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2014 10:28 AM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Quote: "Federal law prohibits any person other than a licensed firearms dealer, from buying a handgun in a state other than their state of residence".

That 'Federal Law' includes any new or previously owned handgun(s) that are owned/possessed by a federally licensed firearm dealers business that are offered for sale or trade thru it's business. But it excludes a federally licensed firearm dealer's personal collection offered for private sale or trade.

--------------------
mike

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2014 10:48 AM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
If I was at a gun show and offered my private collection of firearms for sale I wouldn't want to know that a potential buyer lived in another state that might not like any firearm that I was offering for sale. I am a simple person and can not remember how to spel my name because I am a pour reeder 2

--------------------
mike

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2014 02:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about Oklahoma, but it was refreshing to visit a gunshop in Texas a while back. I offered that I lived in The People's Republik, and the guy said: "I didn't hear that" or words to that effect? It didn't matter because my girlfriend lived in El Paso, at the time, and she was making the purchase.

I remember the good old days. I bought my first 25'06AI from P.O. Ackley in Utah. Mail order. When you look back, it's amazing the amount of freedom we have lost.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2014 05:36 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Not only that Leonard; but many of our own are making it harder on us. I can't tell you the number of firearms that I have had to pass on, for the simple reason the seller wants the buyer to show ID, driver license, CCW and bills of sale....pure paranoia to my mind.
The last few Ive sold, the buyer was digging in his wallet, letting me know they had all the necessary documentation, but I quicky wave them off. My pat response when they trip over their pecker to get ID is," I am not a law enforcement officer, I have neither the authority, nor the desire to see ID, license and CCWs....I just want to see cash"
My problem arises when I am the prospective buyer, usually I get it ironed out before making a long trip, but have been caught at the point of sale, wallmart parking lot etc. The guy will want to see ID, and I have to tell them my philosophy, it has cost me a good buy or two.
Im not sure how the average citizen gun guy, has come to believe they have to see ID, but it is getting epidemic in Az?

Posts: 1596 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted December 18, 2014 09:06 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Now someone tells me today that handguns have been registered in our state for some time so this may be nothing new, I dunno.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters