The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » missed another one

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: missed another one
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2014 04:59 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
The state of Kansas has experienced over 90 earthquakes in the past 18 months or so with the latest occurring this afternoon, about 140miles SW of where I live; it registered at 4.8.

And, I didn't feel a thing.

Kinda disappointing.

Now, LB might say that "just a 4.8" is for pussies, so in the interest of fair play, I will gladly seek out my first 4.8 earthquake, and even better, send LB a couple EF1 tornadoes to enjoy this Spring.

Deal?

[ November 12, 2014, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2014 06:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Proximity is Key, Lance. We had a 4.4 or 5 centered right here in Upland ten or twelve years ago, one Sunday morning. I jumped out of my chair like I was stuck with a cattle prod. The Sylmar quake was a big one, I felt it, it woke me up but I didn't bother to get out of bed. That's probably 35 mils away?

The one's I don't like are the long sideways shakers, feels kinda like a dog shaking a rat. I have experienced quite a few, most of them do not get my adrenaline pumping. They say we are overdue on the big one, Elizabeth.

Oh, and the Upland Quake? The worst damage was a tipped over water heater burned a house down. However, ten miles away in San Dimas and Pomona, they had millions of dollars in damages. The reason, Upland is right on the slope of the mountains, foothills, really, very rocky. Pomona is mud flats and the same quake shook and liquified that adobe and structures built on it.

Same thing happened off the coast of Acapulco. Not much to right home about but much further inland, Mexico City had major damage, entire buildings collapsed, killed a lot of people in their beds. That's what those tile roofs will do for you. Mexico City is like a drained swamp. Go figure.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2014 08:53 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
CDude;
Be careful what you wish for............
I've been on top of two different 6.8 earthquakes.
The Northridge quake had a shallow epicenter and was something of a nasty bugger.
The Nisqually quake had an epicenter >30 miles deep and only felt like about a 5.0.
As El Bee mentioned, soil type also makes a huge difference in consequence. It's referred to as liquefaction when the shaking starts.
The other thing about earthquakes that's poorly understood is the Richter Scale. The force of energy released isn't measured 2-3-4-5-6 etc. but rather 2-4-8-16-32. It makes the difference between a 3.0 and a 4.0 quite a bit. The difference between a 4.0 and a 5.0 is huge.
You don't want to know about anything over a 6.0

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7583 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2014 09:24 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Earthquakes...the best thing about Kalifornia.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2014 06:07 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance,
We felt it here in Great Bend...the ground shook, and we all thought it was a big truck going over the train tracks outside the bank, until we heard what it really was!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2014 06:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll never forget the time I was washing my car and it was kind of responding like I was petting a cat close to her tail.

I was thinking, MAN! I must need shocks!

Then, Nanc came out the front door and said: Wow, did you feel that?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2014 07:57 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Tornadoes sound funner.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 13, 2014 08:14 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tornadoes are bad enough but the endless watches & warnings are really annoying.

The one thing that tornadoes and earthquakes have in common is the feeling of utter powerlessness that you have when experiencing either one. (Yeah, I grew up in S. Mich. and saw a couple of tornadoes, too.)

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7583 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2014 06:35 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Anymore, Koko, the warnings are very, very specific. In the past, when a storm was building and they suspected rotation, they would put en entire county or three under a warning and, of course, everyone was running for cover. Nowadays, they might have a fourth of a county in a wedge-shaped pattern very specific to where the rotation is and where the computers tell them it will be going. At the same time, they've really stepped up the amount of information being given out as to the size of the cell and the damages possible. Of course, if you've lived here long, you never forget that computers can be wrong.

Helplessness, to me, is a state of mind. I keep everything well insured, and seeings how tornadoes are the way we would most likely lose the house (although earthquakes are getting to be a problem)we deliberately keep those things most important to us in the basement, like photo albums, important documents, etc.. Been here all my life and just pretty much look at it that "it is what it is". Gonna get you or it isn't. With a tornado, at least the damage is confined to its pathway. A quake just shakes everything to the ground over such a wide area. The few tornadoes I've seen never cease to amaze me at how massive and powerful they can be, which in a way is good because at least you can see a tornado coming. To see a funnel that goes from the ground to several thousand feet high into the cloud base is like looking at a monster, for sure.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2014 12:56 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
How close are you to the New Madrid fault ?
I understand that one is a sleeping mother with 8.0 potential. [Eek!]
I can't even begin to wrap my mind around the idea of an 8.0 but I suspect that it would be felt all the way here in Az.

--------------------

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2014 04:36 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it runs north and south about 175 miles east of us. They say it is "past due" but then again, who isn't. Southern Kansas had four more since Friday, with two being 3.8's.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2014 11:20 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I would either be reassured that the small quakes are relieving pressure or concerned that pressure is building up. Could go either way, but I would prepare for the worst.

FWIW;
After the Northridge quake (6.8) a LOT of people found out that (1) Their water heaters were not strapped down and (2) The copper lines in & out were old, brittle and prone to cracking.
So, even after utilities were finally restored we still could not take a hot shower. Those lines were not to be found in Los Angles and when they were, not for less than a fifty dollar bill. Each.
Strapping the heater down and stapling a spare set of lines to the wall next to it is time well spent.
Just say'n. [Cool]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2014 08:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anybody in The People's Republik do not have their water heater strapped down, these days?

We get advice that occasionally conflicts; keep a wrench chained to your gas meter to turn it off in case of a ruptured gas line. No, don't ever turn your valve off or you won't have gas for a long time afterwards. A little truth in both advisories.

Strap down that two hundred pound water heater.... or buy an instant "waterless" heater. Sure, they are expensive, but you will save money, (?) in the long run, like 10 or 15 years down the road. Which is just about the same time when you will need to replace.

Bolt down every photo on your walls, use museum wax under all glassware, lest they fall and shatter. Stand in doorways, don't go outside or you will be electrocuted by downed power lines! Go outside, better to be buried alive, knocked out because you didn't wear head protective gear in bed.

Actually, (they say) many people are killed by falling roofing tiles, in bed. Experts advise. Waiting for the Tsunami on the beach is not smart. In koko's case, he's probably safe, even if Kalifornia falls into the ocean. Then he can/should set up emergency shelters for those CA refugees that manage to swim to shore in Phoenix. Hey, they are people, too!

My vision is always of the Loma Prieta quake where the 909fwy collapsed on dozens of vehicles in Oakland. Man! That had to hurt! They still have not rebuilt that freeway. Or the cop on motorcycle that was responding after the quake and drove off the end of a collapsed freeway near San Fernando. Not his lucky day.

Actually, the Mexicans may have the best solution. They all sleep in parks, out in the open until the coast is clear, generally a week or so later? It all depends on whether you call it a pre quake or an aftershock.

They have a website, "Did you feel it?" and you can tell everybody when and what it felt like, and they plot your response on a map.

Locals laugh off earthquakes. Back east, they are afraid to venture out here, one could happen at any moment.

Stay informed, regardless. Good or bad.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters