The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Sometimes, this shit just works... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sometimes, this shit just works...
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2014 05:42 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Started some heavy duty steroids last week, made the pain bearable this weekend. Finally able to get out and do something.

I'm glad.

-

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2014 05:57 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like fun, and a good payday.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2014 06:01 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Who would have thought you could get a shot with all those coyotes lined up and shoot through all of them. Then actually have them fall down in order. [Smile]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2014 06:05 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, serious question

Are you using a Leupold one piece base and rings on your setup or picatinny and weaver style rings.

Hard to tell from the pi.

--------------------

CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2014 06:34 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Performance enhancement 'roids!?!? LOL

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
92soggy
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4362

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2014 06:43 PM      Profile for 92soggy   Email 92soggy         Edit/Delete Post 
I see a lot of blood, must not have been using the .17?
I sure hope to have one of those weekends someday [Smile]

Posts: 39 | From: Washington | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2014 07:25 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, these new Nagel 30 gr. bullets are amazing? If you can get the coyotes to line up, they'll tip 'em over [Big Grin] .

Scope mount is a Burris one piece base with Burris Signature rings. I prefer two piece bases, but for the Model Seven it's pretty much a one piece situation.

Soggy, I was using my .17P, but, I only shot 9 of them. My partner Tim shot the rest with his .243. He had to shoot one twice, pretty far from the truck, it was so shot to pieces we just left it laying there.

On the way home today, we pulled off the interstate to make sandwiches and decided to make a quick stand right off the rest area and Tim killed one more, a big old boss dog male. Didn't weigh him, but I'd estimate 37 pounds. Tattered ears and scars and the whole nine yards. A real old warrior. Here's his teeth.

-

You can see a couple porcupine quills stuck in his nose in that picture too. That made 15 for the weekend. Ten yesterday and five this morning. Tim's little brother has been bothering us for a coyote pelt to make a rug out of, we dropped off that old timer's hide with him on the way home.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2014 07:35 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Awsome Dave!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2014 07:57 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
So, what did you do AFTER lunch?

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2014 08:03 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Went home and did honey-do's [Big Grin] .

Couple more pics. This is another old male, I killed this one.

-

-

And this was the biggest one, I killed it too, a ginormous male. Tim killed the female, same stand.

-

That female is not a small coyote. The male is just freaking huge. Did not weigh him (should have, had a scale with me...), but has to be in the top 20 biggest coyotes I've ever killed. If he's not close to 40 lbs, I'm a crack head.

- DAA

--------------------

KaBloomR
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2014 08:14 PM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice haul, man! Hopefully things will continue to improve with your back ailments. Love to read your hunt stories and see your pics!

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2014 09:54 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang...thats a serious coyote right there!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2014 06:54 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
way to go Dave. That Josh guy will be looking for you soon, so he can follow you around for a day. All he wants are some pointers, he won't move in and start huntin' your ground, promise [Wink]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2014 07:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well hell, did you think of leaving a few for us old duffers that were planning on driving up that way before Thanksgiving?

I'm just kidding. You did fine. Good pictures, thanks for posting.

Regarding the Picatinny trend. I am also a two piece mount sort of guy, traditional. Leaves more space for dinking around with the loading port. I never had much trouble with stability, but like to verify zero before serious work. However, I do have a couple rigs with the Picatinny setup. They are decidedly pricey. Whereas a stable Leupold bases and rings can set you back fifty bucks, the "tactical" gear can easily be past $250.

Sure looks cool though. [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Juices flowing, haven't been up there this year yet.

Big dogs, old dogs. You really got lucky on two old dogs out of fifteen. I would expect about a third to be YOY and the rest more or less average, 23-28 pounds and an occasional 33 pounder. I have never seen a 40 pounder up that way? 39, yes; maybe a few 36-37 pounders here and there, but that is definitely an animal that you remark on, after dragging it back to the truck. Short answer, you don't expect more than a couple lunkers a season, usually. I'll tell you right now, that last one is really awesome! Reminds me of the heavy pales we would run in to, up in the Owens Valley.

I'd mount that dude.  -

Good hunting. El Bee

[ November 10, 2014, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2014 07:10 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you had a great couple of days. Glad to hear that the meds are helping you out some.

Someday I'd like to hunt out there in Utah, maybe Nevada. I think I am going to focus a little on somewhere 500 miles closer for now. Maybe eastern New Mexico, never hunted in NM either. Hard enough getting a few days off work for such trips.

--------------------

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2014 07:14 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
That trip was certainly worth the price of admission. Way to go and good luck with the steroids. Be careful with them.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2014 07:20 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, my brother and I got two really big rascals (well big for out there) not to far west of the campout in Wilcox. They were in the high 30's at least. Thinking they had a lot of carcasses to eat off of. Both were taken the same day, different stands.

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2014 08:10 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, the two biggest out there I personally am aware of, actual weighed, not guessed, is a 44 pounder that I killed about ten years ago (with a .17 Mach IV and a 25 gr. Berger), and a 51 pound monster that Blaine's son Ian killed probably more like 15 years ago now (with a .17 Rem. and a 25 gr. Berger).

Like you said, get a few around 35 each year, but getting closer to 40 is pretty uncommon. And for me at least, over 40 is almost, but not quite mythical. My 44 pounder was almost cheating - his face was still soaked in wet blood from feeding on something big, his belly was just packed full of fresh meat. A big coyote, but, the weight, though actual, is a little misleading.

Have never seen or even heard a reliable account of another one in the same class as that 51 pounder though. I've seen pictures of it, actually have some video of the weigh in and the skinning of it. Just an unbelievable coyote for this area!

TR - LOL! So much truth in that, it's almost not funny! He does seem like a good enough kid though, I like him. Doesn't listen to even good advice, let alone any advice I could offer - so I don't bother trying anymore. But he tries hard and I kinda get a kick out of how stubborn he is. He really just won't listen though. If he learns, it's going to be the long, hard, slow way, LOL!

- DAA

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2014 10:45 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff, Dave!
Love that big, open country setting and glad to see the .17 back in action. Congrats on a great couple days, bet that will keep ya smilin' for a while...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2014 08:13 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say I'm very impressed! What state were you in?
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
KaBloomR
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2014 08:42 PM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
"Euphoria"

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2014 09:02 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job and pictures. I've always enjoyed your posts.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2014 05:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You do not have to answer that question,Dave.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2014 06:27 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care whether he answers or not, but mentioning a state is a long way from giving away one's secret spot. Y'all know I hunt Montana but good luck even coming close to where I hunt. Montana is 145,545.80 square miles. So your odds are about 145,545.80 to 1 that you'll end up in the same place I'm hunting. Good luck with that. The only reason I even asked is that it didn't look a lot like Utah and I was a little surprised.
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2014 06:35 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks just like Utah, to me? The best parts of Utah, anyway.

But as a general rule, I won't divulge even as general a clue as the state, not even to my own Mother.

<shrug>

- DAA

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters