The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Windows Central calling

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Windows Central calling
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2014 08:00 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Just got another call from `Windows Central` to help me with a problem with my computer.
Heavy accent.
India or Pakistan ??
Total scam. Press control & some letter on the keyboard. Nothing happens. Then he tells me to backspace out my homepage info and type in the www address he gives.
Phishing or something, I believe.
I managed to jerk him around for 17 minutes before he started cursing me.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2014 08:31 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Koko,

I did the same thing a few weeks ago. Normally I just hang up or don't bother to pickup, but I was working right there and just put them on speaker phone and basically screwed with them by acting confused for the next 10 minutes.

"Ashley" with a heavy accent finally caught on and called me a "bloody fucker" and hung up. It actually made me feel kinda good. [Smile]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2014 09:22 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
There are two separate outfits calling me. One is from South Korea, country code +82, and another from the US. When I mistakenly answer I now tell them I don't have a computer. That ends the conversation.

The first time I got one of these calls I went through all the hoops. It ended with them telling me I had to buy an expensive program from them. I realized what a fool I'd been and told them off. They continued to call but if I answered the phone I picked up and said, McMinnville Police Department, fraud division. Sargent Friday speaking." I also answered, "Bateman's Mortuary, are you calling about a pickup or someone we're preparing a funeral for?"

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2014 10:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had that sort of thing a number of times. Usually they tell me they have detected a problem with my computer and I need to press the windows key in the lower left corner. Always sounds like it's coming from Bangladesh, maybe Pak e stan?

I play along, can't find the key they want me to press to prove I have a virus, or whatever their motive?

For some reason they NEVER pick up on the reason why I can't seem to find the windows key. I don't have one on a MacBookPro.

After wasting their time, when I finally tell them what kind of computer I am using, they get pissed and CLICK, without a good bye. It's really quite satisfying.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2014 01:47 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I disconnected my landline. It was very peaceful leading up to the elections.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2014 01:55 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, when he got pissed and told me he screws my sister, I told him that sis says he can't get it up unless there's a young boy in the room. The guy came unglued. [Big Grin]
Whenever they want me to type something in the top line, I enter it into Google instead. Usually come up with several pages of fraud alerts.
The Hell of it is.......the damn fools keep calling me back. Slow learners.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2014 02:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet I got twenty insurance quote calls yesterday. Ok who's the funny man?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
KaBloomR
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted November 07, 2014 04:06 PM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't understand a word those bastards are saying when they call me.

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters