The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Mr. Average Kills His Deer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mr. Average Kills His Deer
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2014 08:21 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Last year was the first year in 30 years I didn't fill my tag and that didn't set well with me. This year my enthusiasm was low due to the fact I really didn't have anywhere great to go, and the deer numbers are way down in Montana due to disease and hard winters. So just finding deer is a major problem this year. I went out last weekend and passed up 16 young mule deer bucks. It was nice to see that many bucks, but spikes, forkhorns, and really small 3x3's don't light my fire at all. Anyway last night after work I knew I had about two hours of daylight that I could go hunt. I called a land owner and they gave me permission to hunt on their place. They also mentioned they hadn't seen any deer. So I wasn't overly confident as I left my truck to hike up the mountain. In fact I had zero expectations to see much of anything. This was weighing on my mind along with the fact I have very little time to deer hunt this year. To make a long story short, as I neared the top of the ridge and rounded a corner I was surprised to see a small herd of deer. Even more surprising was the fact there was a buck chasing around the does and he wasn't a forkhorn. I ranged him at 260 yards. I then laid down, got him in my scope, and gave him a hard going over. I knew he was far from the biggest buck I've ever shot. In fact he would qualify as very "average". The thoughts about limited time, and a bird in hand, came to mind and I decided to take him. I settled in for the shot, squeezed the trigger and heard that very satisfying WHUMP of a solid hit. He took a few step and tumbled down the steep slope. By the time I reached him it was getting dark. I took photos as quickly as I could and then reached for my headlamp in my pack. The friggen thing was dead! So I had the fun task of quartering this buck out in the dark (the no gutting method) and then transcended my own carcass off the mountain in the dark. Made no less stressful by the fact that one misstep on that super steep rocky slope and I would wind up in the obituaries. I made it back to the pick up long after dark, ran home and recruited my two youngest boys to come help me pack the buck out. We got all our head lamps working, returned to the buck, loaded everything up and were home by 9pm. I wish they could of been with me during the hunt itself but both were busy at the time. Glad they were free when the work started though. [Smile]

Here are my two Sherpa's. [Big Grin]
 -

My son took this photo of me (the old fat man) on our way out.
 -

Me with the buck shortly after taking him. So there you have it. I killed an average antelope buck this year, and now an average mule deer buck. So just call me Mr. Average. My buck is down and I can get back to more important things like fishing, coyote hunting, and possibly helping one or both of my daughter get a buck or two.
 -

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2014 12:49 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Troy!
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2014 01:44 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I beg to disagree on the `average` part.
Your success rate is so far about average as to be off of the charts.
And...............
The size of an animal is only one measure of a trophy. Quality of the hunt, learning experiences, companionship, etc. etc.
You be livin' the dream !!!!
[Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7590 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2014 02:06 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Koko, I will agree that the level of quality of the hunt itself was above average for sure. Antler wise, out of the last 5 or so mule deer I've killed he has the smallest antlers.
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
JimM
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4420

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2014 06:51 PM      Profile for JimM           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel you did darn good myself.
Who cares about "average" as that's only a simple word.
I was wondering where my m2d camo went!

Posts: 26 | From: here | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2014 07:47 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
The food on the table will erase the "average" thought soon enough. Nice buck Troy. Those Sherpa's are growing up real quick.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2014 10:48 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"Average" looks plenty fine, from where I'm sittin'!
Congrats on a sucessful hunt! Love to see the young men enjoying the experience with Dad...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2014 02:43 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a good time to me!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters