The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Mule deer hunting with my son and wife

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mule deer hunting with my son and wife
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2014 03:13 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
The past few weekends I've been taking my boy Josh out to try to find him a mule deer buck. Last year he got his first ever buck about 3 hours into our first day of hunting. This year took more hunting which was a good thing really.

The weather has been so nice this fall that my wife started going along. Most days it was t-shirt weather, but too nice for seeing much game movement.

I was kinda surprised how much my wife got into helping Josh find a buck.

This past Saturday, with a major weather change, it all came together and we were able to put a sneak on some deer and close the distance to 204 yards and Josh was able to take a rest over my pack. He made good on the shot and folded the buck up right there. My wife was right beside him when he shot and she was actually shaking with excitement.

It was a good time.

Way too nice, but fun to be out.

-

Mom and Josh

-

-

[ November 03, 2014, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2014 03:14 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Darn it. Thought I had this figured out.

Gotta run for now, so maybe later.

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2014 03:19 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice buck! Great pics Lonny. Congrats to your son.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2014 04:27 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome!

Had to click on them to see them, no idea why - looks right to me?

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2014 04:28 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Trying one of them just for the heck of it.

-

Work?

If so, no idea why yours didn't. If not, no idea why not either!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2014 04:53 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Darn nice buck!! Brutal to start out like that so young. I wish him luck over the years. [Smile]
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2014 05:04 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice Lonny.

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2014 05:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
YEAH, VERY NICE BUCK AND A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31472 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted November 03, 2014 06:46 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, sorry about the mess there.

I had to dig up knockemdowns tutorial that he gave on how to link the photo. Once again, thanks knockem'.

It was an enjoyable few weekends looking for a buck. Like I said, I was really surprised at how much my wife got into it. I figured after going once or so she would lose interest. Then she said she wanted her own binos and needed some better clothing. By Thursday she would be asking if we were going that weekend...

Josh and I asked her if she would like to get a tag next year and she said it was way to nerve racking and didn't think she could ever stay calm enough to shoot something. [Smile]

[ November 03, 2014, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2014 03:09 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice!
Thanks for the pics. and story really cool to see your wife get into it , good family activity. something to share for a long time.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
KaBloomR
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2014 06:59 AM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing. That is a nice buck and what a great experience for your son to share with both of his parents.

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2014 08:29 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, gorgeous country out there!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2014 09:50 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to Josh & the entire Lonny clan!
Thanks for the post...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2014 10:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, a very nice wholesome experience. Really gladdens the heart to see that kind of family stuff. (dang, Lonny you sure got a "Looker"!)

I looked at the initial post (administratively) and couldn't see anything wrong with it, but I know nothing about Photobucket so couldn't help. There are some people that bitch about Photobucket because they delete pics after a while. I don't know how that works, but as long as we have folks like Fred and fur and dirt to aid with the tech stuff, it's great.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2014 10:32 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
These are the kinds of posts that I like the best!
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2014 01:40 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Kudos to your son, Lonny!

Those smiling faces are what it is all about!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2014 05:00 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Good deal. Thanks for posting Lonny. Congratulations to Josh & to Mom, for being involved with everything.

Funny, I have a young co-worker buddy, who was up in Winchester last weekend. Missed a buck Saturday, but took a doe Sunday.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted November 04, 2014 07:48 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the kudos gentlemen. It really was a good time spent with family.

And what also made it nice was that for the time we were out, there was no talk of grades and upcoming assignments in school, what needs fixed on the house, what vehicle needs replaced next, or any of the myriad of mundane things that seem to dominate our everyday life.

All our focus and talk was about what we were seeing as we scanned the countryside, finding a buck, and what sounded best for supper. The simple, but good things in life.

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2014 04:59 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing better than spending time with family enjoying the things you love.

Great job, congrats!

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 05, 2014 05:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Treasure the moment, Lonny.

Just to give you perspective, my daughter is 400 miles away, my son is in Colorado and my wife is at the National Cemetery in Riverside.

Enjoy and appreciate you time together. It goes by quickly.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters