The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Washing pelts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Washing pelts
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2014 01:43 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
This is for the guys who skin their kills. Had to recently replace the household washing machine and then old one which isn't really that old is sitting in the garage waiting to go on the scrap heap. Got to thinking about it. Only thing wrong with it is the siphon pump went tits up and I can probably replace it for less than $30.

Does anyone here wash their hides using a machine and, if so, is there a benefit to me keeping this thing around? If so, I figured I could put wheels on the four corners and wheel it in and out of the garage as needed, hook it to a garden hose for water, eject the dirty water onto the lawn. I have always just dunked them in a clean bucket of water after fleshing and sewing, hosed them off to knock out the dirt, combed them some, swung them around and pulled them onto a stretcher. Have often wondered if having a machine to wash them then spin dry to remove water would be better and I just happen to now have one needing repurposed.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2014 02:30 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend Blaine used to use a washing machine. Worked for him, but he was crazy perfectionist with his fur put up.

I've taken some extra bloody/filthy ones to the car wash and just blasted them - on the way home after killing/skinning - not only got them clean but blasting the flesh side loosened up the membrane to where fleshing was easier too. But, it wasn't part of my normal routine.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2014 03:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I read an article about it, must have been thirty years ago? Mercer Lawing doesn't do it, so that's how I roll.

To me, the object is to dry the pelt as soon as possible, not soak it, but I could be wrong?

Anyway, whatever works. If you want to wash them, it's your baby. May I suggest the "delicate" cycle?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ October 23, 2014, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2014 07:54 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Blaine used the old tub with the wringer above it. But this is what he put out.

-

Look past the guy in front who is light headed from sucking on the cigar too hard.

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 04:32 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
The tub w/ wringer is what I would recommend for you Lance. Tried the regular washer, couldnt spin enough water out of them.....you need the wringer.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 07:42 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a regular washing machine, I have not had a problem with them not getting most of the water out, but I never wash more than 3 at a time.

It was the regular house machine until one day the wife went to the store and came back about 20 min. later since she had forgotten something and asked me what I was washing? Told her nothing, but it didn't fly, next week she (I) bought herself a new one and the old one went in the fur shed.
I guess the extra rinse cycle I would run it thru after I was done didn't convince her. I did clean the fur and fat out first.

Anyway have found woolite as the best detergent.

Brent

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 08:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There may be a different dynamic working? Mercer traps cats and the occasional gray and when he shoots a cat it's with a 17Mk4 so there ain't a lot of blood or mess, therefore, he don't need a car wash or a washing machine. And, yet, up at Fallon, he takes top dollar.

Down here, it just don't work out. Too warm and you get those flies laying eggs in the head, etc. We roll them and freeze them and sell green. I was kinda surprised, up in Canada, that they just stack them, and sell in the round; the fur buyers like to skin them their own way. Maybe no everywhere, but that's what I saw.

(that's me)
 -

Good hunting. El Bee

[ October 24, 2014, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

CrossJ
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 04:27 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Roger that on the Woolite!

Lb, I dont was my cats...maybe rinse a spot if alot of clotted blood. I wash my coyotes more to remove some of the dingy red dirt. It truly makes our bellies whiter and lightens them up some.

As far as the spinner not removing enough water, I would guess it has alot to do with our humidity. The fur remained wet close to the hide even after the flanks were drying down and getting stiff. I had the best luck when I 'squeezed' as much water out as possible. Regardless of your methods, I think there is a benefit to washing hides.

Maintain

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 04:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no doubt. You know what they do commercially, right? They go in what looks a lot like a cement mixer on a truck, but without the wheels, same drum. I don't know about the chemicals?

I'm just saying, wash 'em if you need to, and if you don't, the borax seems to work better than OK.

Where the hell do you find a ringer washer, these days? Personally, I have not seen one since I was a kid?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

CrossJ
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2014 05:53 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Where the hell do you find a ringer washer, these days
Lots of places....they still make them. Oklahoma....remember!!!!

--------------------

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2014 08:42 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Lehmans Hardware Kidron, Ohio. A very cool hardware store. I was just there two weeks ago.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-2398-lehmans-own-hand-washer.aspx?show=all

edited in: If I was better at posting pictures, I would put some pictures up of antique washers Lehman's has on display.

[ October 25, 2014, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Aznative ]

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1926 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2014 09:44 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oklahoma....remember!!!!

[Big Grin]

I really like Oklahoma. Last time I was there, a couple months ago, a new kid in the OKC office, from SE OK, was just cracking me up. When I got drunk I kept asking him to say "am I dreaming?". He was drunk too and went along with it, made me laugh every single time.

[Big Grin]

Laughing with, not at!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2014 08:57 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I was told years ago to never get a bobcat wet if I didn't have to - said it "took the life outta them". So, I don't typically wash cats, but I saw a guy at a fur auction once that does wash his and they were the best looking cats at that sale.

All I typically wash is coyotes for the same reasons Geordie cites. Getting the dirt out and lightening the bellies.

Geordie, something I tried last year that worked really well is to keep a spray bottle of store-grade hydrogen peroxide handy. If all you have is a bit of blood around an entry or small exit, or a blood clots, give it a spray and let the h2o2 boil it loose. Works really well.

The washer would be mainly to wash them and spin some of the water out. I currently just dunk them in a tub of water and detergent, rinse well, swing them around to knock out most water, pull them onto a stretcher hair out and use the air compressor to blow the water out starting at the nose.

Think I will try it.

Thanks to all.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2014 07:30 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance,
One of the old dog hunters from Pawnee Rock used to skin all of the coyotes he caught. After he fleshed them, he headed into Great Bend after midnight and ran all of the pelts through the wash cycle at one of the laundromats here in town. He tried to make sure no one was around when he did this.

He swore by the practice.

Fortunately, there are two laundromats here in town…my wife had me take some blankets out to clean after winter one year…I made sure I didn’t use the one he frequented.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2014 10:56 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone add alittle bleach to the washing machine with hides in it?
Aaron Rhoades
Member # 4234

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2014 12:40 PM      Profile for Aaron Rhoades           Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't tried it yet but we have talked about it.
Posts: 155 | From: Washington | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2014 10:32 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
I have read about several people doing it but no one mentions effect. If used in the right quantity it would soften and slightly lighten. may have to play with it this season.
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2014 05:08 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be hesitant to adding anything as strong as bleach to a wash for hides. The sodium hypochlorite could leave enough residue in the leather to cause real problems down the road during the tanning process. I have used stuff like Woolite and Snuggles, but never anything as potent as bleach before.

At the same time, I use caution even using 2% peroxide as H2O2 reacts with any organic tissue, whether blood cells or skin cells, and can and will continue to destroy the skin after achieving the desired effect. If I need to remove blood, I am careful to only soak the blood clots and not soak the hair and underfur clear through to the skin.

[ October 30, 2014, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2014 06:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Never tried bleach but I tend to agree with Lance. If your motivation is to impress a fur buyer, I suppose all's fair in love and war?

But, for my own purpose, like a full body mount; I just don't see it? First of all, I would only mount an exceptional animal anyway. If it's not the finest thing I've ever seen, why would I want to try and turn it into something special?

That's a limited application, I admit. Now, if somebody here has been doing this for years and gets top dollar at the fur sales; I'm listening.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters