The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » getting ready for trip. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: getting ready for trip.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2014 07:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I had service at Nissan yesterday then went to Pep Boys where I bought the Hankooks because I had a slow leaker. Screw in the tread, no charge.

Sudden thought. Anybody remember an event at a Terrible Herbst in Kingman, must have been over thirty years ago? I think it was a father and son working on a split rim, decapitated both. Now, that's guaranteed to ruin your day.

So, gathering gear, sorting stuff, you know how that goes. Already did at least 1%; sharpened a couple knives and managed to cut my finger doing it, on the black surgical hard Arkansas stone, yet. I like a sharp knife. Can't get careless.

I think tire mechanics have to, must be entry level neanderthal mechanical? I have seen them strip wheel lugs, and on shocks. They never remember to replace the cap on a valve stem.

See you guys at the ronde.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2014 07:32 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Just got new tires @ Mavis couple weeks ago. I always slip the tire monkey a $20 from the git-go, which seems to 'humanize' them, and lessen the chance they not totally fuck your shit up. Still, I bring my own torque wrench & insist they use it, over the in-house 1" drive air ratchet from Hell...

At the time, I noticed a front brake pad wearing unevenly, and sho-nuff, had a froze up piston on the caliper. Came to the shop early this morning & swapped out both calipers with fresh pads. Rotors looked OK, so just left 'em be. Can't complain, got dang near 200K on the original set of calipers!

Safe driving to the Ronde!!!

[ October 10, 2014, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
KaBloomR
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2014 07:33 AM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
I knew an old fellow that used to seat the bead on semi tires using starting fluid and a match. He said sometimes it worked - and sometimes it didn't. I think he cheated death performing this feat, and died of other causes years later?
Definitely neanderthal mentality as I remember.

Anyhow, I'm currently sitting impatiently 2 hours longer than I should be at Chicago's wonderful fuggin' O'Hare, wondering how much longer of a delay until I can get back to Utah. I would really like to get a start on my campout packing too.....

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2014 07:38 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys don't be so safe you don't have any fun! Enjoy it. Wish I could go. Not possible. Not going anywhere, doing anything for awhile anyway - back. Had a deer hunt planned for next weekend that I won't be doing either.

I've seen tire beads seated with the starting fluid and a match a couple times on the trail. I've always just used a ratchet strap though and so far that has worked every time. The starting fluid is definitely faster and way more entertaining though!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2014 07:39 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that seating a bead on truck tires is taught at an early age in the Dominican Republic!!!

Have seen some funny azz shit over the years, involving starter fluid & truck tires, LOL...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2014 08:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember one time, a puncture in the sidewall, took about three doubled up plugs that kept trying to push itself out but eventually held air. And, we were in the middle of the night with Border Patrol lasering us from an observation peak. They never actually made contact but it was distracting, nonetheless, probably 500 yards from the border. But the damned thing held, looked crazy.

Then, there is crawling in the mud, replacing U joints. I usually carry spares and I have three different types, unfortunately, on the Dodge.

Mechanical shit is one thing. How about an electrical fire under the dash, summer time, Death Valley? A bitch to fix with friggin' moths drawn to the light and my face and vertigo kicking in. That wasn't half of it the extinguisher caused a lot of corrosion down there, eventually. <sigh>

All fun stuff.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2014 10:14 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Its called "good times" lol.
Have fun everybody.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2014 06:16 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
All those bumps, complications and minor disasters, are what allow us, when shooting the shit with our hunting pards, to utter that magical phrase...."remember that time".
If everything went smooth and problem free, what in the hell would there be to remember?
Ive got dozens of memories and stories of when things went south, but I cherish every damned one of them.

Posts: 1630 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2014 06:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Pep Boys has called me twice now, wanting to know why the first call, I said I was sorta satisfied with my service. So, I told them, yeah they chipped the "paint" on my wheel, didn't rotate the tires like they said they did, and my pet peeve, somehow lost the cap for the valve stem.

"Umm, well, thank you for that, we appreciate your business." And I said, I don't look a gift horse in the mouth, if they had charged me, I would have been a lot more unhappy.

So, Vic, what's it going to be? These people come a long ways to get to visit with a living legend, one of the original Coyote Gods. You know, tell the kids they shook your hand, etc.?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: but I agree, it's the bad trips that are remembered most fondly. And, I certainly have my share of memories.

[ October 10, 2014, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 05:54 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Weather report: mornings 43 , afternoons 79.
I'm with Vic ,let's make some memories.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 09:20 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, as aggravating as it me seem @ the time. The flat tires, being stuck in the mud, dead battery's ect..Often times miles & miles from a town, which could be 100 people or less. Are what creates fond memory's for down the road.

Weird huh ?

This is something city folk will never understand. They'd flip cuzz they had no cell coverage ect.

We cuss a little or a lot, and somehow figure it out, sometimes by pure luck.

Indeed, good times !!

[ October 11, 2014, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 10:36 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't agree more Vic. Adversity adds spice.

And as most of us get older, I'm more interested in seeing old friends and making new, than killing a few more coyotes, on a deal like this.

Wish I could make it.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 10:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we had fun in Northern Nevada, didn't we? Rescued by a tractor. No coyotes, but who cares?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Duckdog
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 12:44 PM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
I use starting fluid and a match (thrown from a distance) when seating the tire on a wheel barrow.

Works like a champ!

I should probably knock on wood or something, but I just don't go through brakes like other people. I'm sure most of it has to do with living right off of the highway, and most of my miles consist of highway travel...
But, my current truck has almost 220,000 and I've never put brakes on it and the pads still look like they're about 1/2 there.
Last time I had tire work done, I asked the tire monkey how many miles he thought were on those pads and he guessed 60K.

My last truck had something like 260,000 miles on it, and I never put brakes on it either!

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 01:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You sound a bit like me? I had to ask my neighbor across the street to drive me to and from the hospital for a procedure in which they mandated I couldn't drive myself.

Now this guy is a Viet Nam vet, but he seems not to notice an obvious stop situation right in front of him until the last minute. And, it drove me nuts! I mean, I see a red light in front of me and I start coasting. This guy is still on the gas 50% past where I would start applying a little pressure. Then, he hard brakes with four or five car lengths to spare! I couldn't help but mention a couple times and he said; he knows how to drive. That's debatable, in my opinion.

I mean, nice comfortable Jag, but I couldn't relax with this guy. He must go through brakes like crazy? I have 130,00 on my Nissan, brakes are fine, but third set of tires.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 02:06 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul;
It's memories you want ??
I'm bringing a 4 foot tall rabbit decoy dressed like a hooker.
We can stand it up next to El Bee's tent and take photographs to blackmail him for free HuntMasters membership & unlimited posting privileges.

(Uh..........He HAS left already and can't read this, right ??)

[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 03:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A 4 foot tall rabbit decoy dressed like a hooker? Is that the one you use to cheat in the diamond lane?

I can steal WiFi almost anywhere.

By the way, do we have cell phone coverage on site? That other place, we had to drive to the top of a hill over a half a mile away. You know, up where the coyotes howled every night?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 05:49 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I will be one of those dreaded "no-shows" Leonard. Im heading to Arizona, but not in time to make the shindig. My son and I are leaving this Friday, and will be at the home place in McNeal by Saturday around noon. Had a nasty hail storm blow thru two months ago and ruined my roof, so he and I are putting on a metal roof over the damaged asphalt shingle roof that's on it now.
I'd sure enjoy seeing everyone, I really hope one year, all of us can see our way to make it at least once for a big get together. One day; some of, "all of us" ain't gonna be around to meet any more.

Posts: 1630 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 07:33 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a heckuva good time Leonard. Even sitting on my tailgate smoking cigars waiting for Wiley to come back with the cavalry [Big Grin] .

- DAA

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2014 08:26 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooops !!!!! [Eek!]

A Diamond Lane in Safford Arizona ?? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I'm heading up to Alpine tomorrow for a quick bear hunt. Maybe they have one. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2014 10:38 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Went up looking for bear yesterday, we're in the middle of rifle season here, and wanted to go up for the day. I missed one during archery a few weeks ago, trying to thread the needle between some branches. You can guess what happened there.

Anyways, I must be getting soft in my middle age, but I let a bear walk yesterday, just because he seemed to be having a great time scratching himself on a tree and just generally in a good mood. He was on the small side anyways, but I just walked away.

Am I becoming a wuss? I just had no desire to shoot him. Any other day I would have punched his ticket.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2014 11:17 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
LoneDude;
One gains experience to the point of not needing to prove anything to anybody and we realize that sometimes the best way to ruin a perfectly good hunting trip is to shoot something.
I detect no wuss actions on your part.
Drive on.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2014 11:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
However, we will have to put you on probationary status until you prove your cajones....

(just kidding)

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2014 09:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Heard from Dan, (the Man) sends his regrets, can't make it. It's been a long time since I have known an adult act more like a fucking spoiled brat, never seen a grown man take a banning so hard, either. Well deserved banning. I otter kick his narrow ass; and you can tell him that on his chickenshit board. Asshole.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2014 04:41 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
You will have cell service at the site however the first one caught looking into the blue gray abyss at the campfire will be posed in a compromising position with KoKo's rabbit. Photos will be on Facebook before you wake.

[ October 13, 2014, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters