The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Seal beach coyote roundup

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seal beach coyote roundup
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2014 12:31 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-seal-beach-coyote-trapping-pet-deaths-20140923-story.html

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2014 12:55 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
KaBloomR
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2014 12:59 PM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh dear. Just wait until Project Coyote and In Defense of Animals gets ahold of this!

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2014 02:37 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
We have the same problem here in the Portland area. The town council's answer was to hand out pamphlets explaining how to live with coyotes.

A couple of months ago a woman was in a park in Portland when a coyote came out and attacked her toddler dragging the kid into the woods. That coyote is still running free.

About a year ago in a neighborhood in Sherwood I saw a coyote running down the road with a dead house cat in its mouth.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2014 05:58 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I wonder why we hunt them.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wXYOvqt48VE
I love it when he turns around with Garfield in his mouth.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2014 08:33 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
My feeling is that the voters brought this situation down onto themselves by restricting hunting and trapping. Now they want to use the very methods they outlawed to solve the problem ??
Either put wildlife management back into the hands of Game & Fish or live with the mess they've made.

[Mad]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2014 05:57 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL. Good for the coyotes. They can't eat enough cats now as it is and those little dogs must taste good to them also. They should leave those coyotes alone so that they take out all those little barking shit eaters. What will they do when they discover a Great Horned owl has been eating little Pudden Head?
Go coyotes go. Go forth and prosper.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2014 08:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a medical facility waiting room in Palm Springs just last week. (not me, I was with a friend)

Anyway, typical Palm Springs clientele. On the Tv there was a report about the usual, don't put dog food outside, etc. So, this guy, about my age, but dressed for golf, pops up and says: "I like coyotes".

Not to be outdone, yours truly says; "I like them too, but I like to kill them". Nothing more was said.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: PS I agree with koko, but doubt the situation will ever change. Just one instance where people are so fucking stupid they elect a complete incompetent to run the entire country. What could go wrong?

edit: and, make no mistake, this $15 an hour minimum wage is calculated to appeal to the young and dumb that elected him in the first place. It could work. How depressing!

edit: come to think of it; I probably know who Seal Beach will hire to deal with their problem.

[ October 08, 2014, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2014 10:33 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
this pic if it comes thru was taken while working at Sun City Grand a luxury retirement community in the west valley these guys cruise around like they own the place.

https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10422584_877819655569071_8737442538147874004_n.jpg?oh=40371399fe2556ba894ea998c1e0bde7&oe=54F725F0

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2014 01:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We have that right here in Upland, Paul. And, they hop my block wall effortlessly, just like in the video. Our cat depopulation efforts probably isn't in the hundreds, but it's up there. I have a cat skull in one of my planters out front right now.

And, they are not very afraid of people although I have not heard of any threatening gestures around here. Of course, we only average 1.1 children in the whole city. A mature community, I guess?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2014 02:39 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the problem goes way beyond just restrictions on hunting and/or trapping.

Hunting never was part of the urban environment, in modern times.
But... even as recently as when I was a kid someone was around the neighborhood that would aggressively take charge of issues like these... some ol duffer with a 22 rifle or a shotgun killed these nuisances on sight.

Barring that, the leash laws have contributed as well, a few good dogs roaming and patrolling the neighborhood helped with nuisances (both four legged and two legged).

Then there's the "greenway" issues created by things like the rails to trails act, these trails in and out of suburbia/urbia have become highways for wildlife.

Top that off with Parks and Rec, and even the State game system's, mentality of "wildlife enhancing the quality of life in the big city" and you're seeing the gathering of the perfect storm.

The final blow is the "huggers" ...heck even LB aided and abetted his pal Rocky, rather than blowing his brains out (*or giving him a ride out of town in a $40 cage trap). [Razz]

My Professor called it "a landscape of fear" and that's what's missing, fear.
When animals no longer fear humans we, and our urbanity, become a resource to be exploited.
Isn't that why varmints were hung on fences, for so long, to instill fear in the living?

I don't envy who ever ends up dealing with this problem (*well okay I do, a little).
The urban trapper has few tools available, and fewer that are safe and viable. One poodle in a foothold trap and this "plan" would implode.
Canine specific traps, like the Collarum, are likely to be clogged with house-pets as often as they are a coyote... granted these aren't as "damaging" as a foothold trap, but they may not be any more forgiven for making poor Fido go missing for the night.

This is a battle that will, likely, only accept ZERO collateral damage... good luck with that!

Krusty

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2014 03:06 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
True & truer, Krusty.
Well thought out points.

How goes the phys / Therapy ??

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2014 04:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I agree with what Krusty said, but that crack about "Rocky" is hitting a little below the belt! Besides, I never actually did anything to him or for him. Ain't seen him in a coon's age.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2014 07:37 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Kokopelli,

It goes okay, I'm working, hiking a little (carefully and on easy ground) and contemplating an attempt at running (inspired by Zepp's recent post). The limp might be permanent?

Leonard,

Yeah it might have been a little low, but warranted... you fed him leftovers in a plate with his name on it!

Maybe he started looking and acting like somebody's pet, so the coyotes ate him!

Kill the next interloper and redeem yourself? lol

Krusty

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2014 07:53 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty;
Rather than running, you might want to keep an eye out for an Elliptical Trainer. Good stride / range of motion without the jarring impact of running - jogging - plodding.
I got mine at a yard sale for pennies on the dollar. They show up at swap meets cheap, too.

Good luck & hang in there !!!

--------------------

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2014 04:18 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and this being the first year since "they" outlawed bear hunting with hounds, weve already had several bears causing trouble in and around several towns here. 99% of these people have never even seen a bear in real life and then.."SUPRISE!"..DA BEAR.

I hope bears, mountain lions and coyotes show up by the hundreds in California towns. Serves em right.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters