The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » another TEST

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: another TEST
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted September 30, 2014 02:45 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Question: best method of removing cholla? See below.

-
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
Use a fork

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31494 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2014 03:07 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the day, when we bow-hunted San Clemente Island, we carried those hair picks that the blacks wore in their afros. Worked great for removing cholla cactus.
I would agree about the fork, unless the `victim` has an o bama bumper sticker on his vehicle. In that case, a torch would be the removal tool of choice.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7590 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2014 02:08 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
With the o bummer fan no tool would be necessary those people love misery!

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2014 07:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, that buckhorn cholla is vicious! I remember two things.

First, down on the res, we encountered a bull that was completely enclosed around the head with cholla and the grapes, which is what I guess he was trying to eat? The cholla in this area can be six foot tall. So, we happened on Border Patrol later, shot the breeze for a bit and mentioned that bull. The lady BP agent was very interested in knowing exactly where we saw the bull, I assume to aid the poor devil?

Second, there we were somewhat east of the above location but still the res and driving the border road closer to Papago Farms when I wasn't paying attention and apparently, neither was my son?

I had my arm out the window and he didn't swerve to avoid a huge cholla on my side. The result was I got cholla all over me from my elbow to my shoulder! Then, a half minute later, I found out, (the hard way) where a whole bunch of cholla had fallen down on the seat, next to the door! Man, was I pissed!

Okay, one more. We were in a different area and Pat had the bright idea to wear moccasins, which I let him know my views on his idea. So, he decided to check his zero and walked out to a huge teddy bear cholla, way more than six ft. tall. And this is the variety that drops the pincushions all around, like land mines.

Well, he was setting a target nestled in the branches when he became painfully aware of how inadequate was his friggin' moccasins in this type of terrain. All of this I had not been paying attention to, but after struggling for a while he called for help.

Yeah, I had to carry him back to the truck and dump him on the tailgate, then left him to his problems with his feet. After that, we drove to the nearest town, (I think it was San Manual, something like that?) and he bought the only boots they had that fit him, some Wellington's. I think he appreciated the wisdom of dual purpose foot ware, after that. It's nice to have comfort while driving but, there's another issue when you got boots on the ground.

My son is another hard head on the same subject. <sigh>

Good hunting. El Bee

[ October 01, 2014, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31494 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters