The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Where's the beef? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Where's the beef?
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2014 05:17 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Black Angus or Angus crosses are bringing the best money around here also.
This same trend hurts you on the front end of your stocker business.

quote:
I know a couple diehard Hereford ranchers who even though they have really nice cattle will get a nickel or more less than the price for angus stuff
Spade Ranches ran a four breed rotation in their 10,000 head operation. It consisted of Angus, Simmental, Braunveih, and Hereford. For years the idea of removing Herefords from the program was discussed. They never did because, during the harsher years, or in the tougher environments, the Herefords would wean more live calves than the others. Even at $5/cwt discount.....live is more profitable.

Lb.......its Charolais.....they are a breed originating from France. They were originally used as a draft breed primarily.

Brahman is the other word you are looking for....and yes, very heat tolerant.

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2014 06:47 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Cross, when you mentioned "tougher environments and harsher years" that is exactly the reason these ranchers stick with Herefords. They winter their cows on the breaks of the Snake and Salmon Rivers where minimal winter feeding is needed. But the ground is steep and to some extent remote. Cows need to be able to calve successfully on their own. Herefords seem to last longer on the steep stuff and do better calving.
Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted September 06, 2014 07:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well shit. Now we can expect Geordie to handle all the cattle genealogy and take Dan, (the man)'s place as spelin police. [Smile]

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: So, why did I once see Brahman down along the border in the first place and (apparently) they didn't work out? Actually, as I remember, lurking around and paying scant attention, (in my "abattoir" days), we did used to get a few Brahman much later, although I have no idea where they were coming from?

I hope the "run on sentence" POLICE don't bust me on that one!

Sudden thought: Vic is a local Tucson boy, he should know what I'm talking about, even though he was just a child, back in the day?

edit: I just remembered something kinda humorous. Occasionally, we would get in a truckload of bulls for slaughter. Mixed. But all the other breeds would gang up on the smaller Herefords and try to fuck them! I always felt a little sorry for them. So innocent, they were!

[ September 06, 2014, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31336 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2014 09:23 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny, congratulations Big Guy !!

Mark, it's kinda funny how this Kalifornia-Idaho dairymen connection works. I bet, I could rattle off names you would recognize ?

Anyway same thing here million dollar houses, their kids driving fancy lifted pickups/ high dollar SUV's ect..I'm not envious or anything, I just crack up inside, when, I say sorry the office has you guys on cash now.

To be fair though, lots of dollars going out this time of year and no crop/milk checks coming in.

On a side note when everything gets screwed up here, where's everybody gonna' go ?

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
trapper2
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2014 10:28 AM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
Geordie, are you talking about the spade over in new mexico? if so I am reading a book you would like, its by the manager of the bell back from 40's to the 70's after the bell busted up. they were a big Hereford outfit to. my wifes granddad was the wagon boss on the bell in the 60's and it was his book, pretty neat the history of that outfit

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2014 10:35 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Ryan......Chappel Spade. Several people I know have or do work for them. We used to grow heifers for them. I knew the manager and asst manager real well. Neat history. Are you talking about the cross bell? The Mullendores? I would like to read the book regardless.

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2014 01:25 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Not to interrupt, Geordie and Ryan's conversation, as, I'm a little cloudy as what they're talking about. Carry on men.

One the subject of cattle. I've spent many hours reading and re-reading a few books about the cattlemen of this area. Meaning S/W Id & SE Or, fascinating reading.

Many of the original ranches back then, the late 1800's were ran by what they say were cattle (barons) are still running under the original names.

Alvord Ranch, Mann Lake Ranch, Whitehorse Ranch, for example. These are in SE Oregon above Nevada.

They say the (P) Ranch in the same area, just on the north side of Steens Mountain, ran 100,000 head of cattle. It was ran by a guy named Pete French.

The other ranches mentioned were operated by a guy named John Devine. Who ran an equal amount of cattle on the south side.

Lot's and lot's of stories associated with these guys, and how that portion of the west was settled, or un-settled if you will.

It's still pretty frontier if you ask me. I love reading talking real west history.

[ September 06, 2014, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
trapper2
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2014 02:39 PM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
no not the cross bell, the bell ranch at bell new mexico, got their own post office, at one time it was over 700,000 acres, they spilt it in the 40's I believe. the spade was one of the pieces that sold, it was what they called the bell farm. the conchas lake is on part of the old ranch.

we took a field trip out to the spade when I was in college, that was a nice ranch, you still take in cattle for them? if you don't have anything to do come down, I got a load of 250 wt hfrs out of ne miss you can watch for me

don't worry dave, I'm alittle cloudy about what I'm talking about most of the time, ha

[ September 06, 2014, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: trapper2 ]

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters