The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Where's the beef? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Where's the beef?
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2014 04:11 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
My small herd is going to the sales yard this Friday, hopefully for a little profit.

Luckily, no loss this year due to bears, wolves, coyotes, lions, or rustlers. [Smile]

-

-

[ September 02, 2014, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2014 05:06 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool Lonny. I hear beef cows are bringing crazy money nowadays.

Good luck !!

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2014 05:13 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
They look delicious!!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2014 05:30 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Lol, sippin' a Miller with boneless ribs grilling as we speak.

Yum !!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted September 02, 2014 06:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's some good looking stock, Amigo!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31333 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2014 07:16 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
My dad has been a small-time cattle guy for 50 years and has never seen prices like they are now.

I would have bought a few more steers to raise this summer, but got cold feet because the initial investment was so high and the chance the price could drop. God forbid having one die.

Anyhow, life is good at the moment for these guys. Eat grass, lay in the shade, and go to the pond for a drink. If they only knew where they will be 6 months from now.

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2014 03:17 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Have to agree - they look like some tasty beeves!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2014 03:28 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to do that Lonny , I envy you great looking cattle. Raised 1 steer for 4-H, Back in 1965 or 66 grand champion feeder stock. Sold to Ralphs mkts. in Calif. Leonard will recognize that name. Lots of people buying grass feed here in Az. direct before they end up in a feed lot getting filled with crap and hormones. Are you grazing on forest service land?

[ September 03, 2014, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2014 04:43 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, It is private land, but is a small piece and some of it is timbered so not all of the property has grass enough for grazing purposes.

I also have good memories of 4H.

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2014 05:45 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny,
Good looking calves! Looks like Red Angus???

Grew up on a farm myself and used to have a small cow herd with my brother in law.

4-H was a big part of my life growing up. It is sad to see the 4-H programs struggling right now.

Prices are just crazy now, and I think they will be for quite some time. With the drought here, alot of the 'calf factories', i.e. cows, were sold off and slaughtered.

A cow/calf pair that used to sell for around $1,000, are now bringing $3,000 to $4,000.

Cattle out of the feedlot are bringing $1.50 per pound, an all time high, which means the cattle are bringing $1,875 to $2,300 on the hoof.

Guess that is why hamburger is $5.00 per pound at the store....

[ September 03, 2014, 05:46 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2014 03:34 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep Booger, those are Red Angus. I buy them from a guy who has a small cow/calf operation and that is the breed he runs. He calves in the fall, and I bought them last spring.

Coming from one owner is sure nice because they haven't been run through the sales yard and seem to stay healthier. They are also weaned and used to each other and people when I get them, so the transition for the calves is pretty painless.

I paid $2.00 a pound and they were right at a 600 pound average last April. Hopefully if prices hold, they will sell for right around $2.00 per lb, but now weigh close to 900.

We'll see on Friday.

KaBloomR
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2014 07:52 PM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck on the sale, Lonny. Looks like prime + eating.

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2014 07:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Way, way beyond my comprehension, raising animals. I have a friend from high school, actually joined the Army on the Buddy Plan. Anyway, he lived out in Aqua Dulce and we used to go in halves on mostly bacon hogs and turkeys and Holsteins. He always fed them top quality chow, no hormones, etc.

In our experience, it wasn't a money saving situation. At the time, they were practically giving away turkeys. (Bronze breasted) Then there was driving them to the slaughter and one of the neat things (pork) was the cold smoking, which took two weeks. Absolutely the finest textured hams, ever! But, we smoked damned near the whole thing and had to wrap it while the butcher was cutting; you know 2 hams or three?

The beef, considering that it was byproduct of the dairy industry, was actually very good, for the same reason, no hormones. It was just a hobby thing, Dick's wife called him a gentleman farmer and those were good days. He has since moved way up in Washington and I don't see him very often these days. Sure used to hunt birds a lot, before and after the Army. Best friend I ever had. But, damn, it's a long drive!

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, exactly everything I know about "country farming" and it ain't much! Right now, I'm thinking, (let's see) I counted ten critters? How are you going to get them to the auction?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I used to have something to do with the biggest abattoir operation in Vernon, years ago. Almost all cattle, the target weight was 1,000 pounds. On the other hand, if people saw the butchered dairy cows hanging in the cooler, with the weird yellow tallow, what McDonald's buys.....

[ September 04, 2014, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2014 03:51 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a guy who runs cattle the next property over who will haul them. I help him with his cattle and he hauls for me in trade.

Sounds like you got a pretty good handle on the basics of it Leonard. Dairies in these parts used to give away baby bull calves at times when I was a kid.

Whether or not raising your own is a moneymaking deal kind of reminds me of raising chickens. You can go to the store and buy a whole roasted chicken cooked for about $6.00. Or you could raise your own, butcher, pluck, etc.. and still have to take the time to cook it. In my mind it isn't a money saving deal if you make anything above minimum wage.

But I get the whole doing it yourself, do it the way you want, know where it came from thing. Kind of like thinking hunting for meat somehow saves money.

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2014 05:38 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember those dairy calf bargains too Lonny. Although not free, the straight run dairy bred bull calves were five bucks apiece, and the ones that had beef bull breeding were double, ten bucks for a calf.
They were all just days old, so we spent lots of time bottle feeding them till they got on solid feed.
Not the best beef in the world, they were meant to make milk, not meat, and even the T bones had some "tooth" to them.

Posts: 1601 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2014 06:20 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
We used to have half-a-dozen dairies within 15 miles of our house. Not a one is in operation anymore.

When we were kids, dad would let us each get a dairy bull calf and bottle feed it like you did Vic.

I still remember the first time bottle-feeding a calf and holding the bottle tight against my gut as the calf drank. About that time, the calf gave one of those snaps of the head like they are prone to do when nursing... Felt like I took a punch to the gut from Mike Tyson.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2014 06:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I know where all the Dairies went. Just over the NM border before you get to El Paso on I-10, there are many Dairies and they have not been there long. Used to be they left Chino for Visalia. Don't know, anymore?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: by the way, what happened in Dairy Valley/Fountain Valley is basically; some contractor built a small development right downwind of the dairies. In short order, they were able to have an election on ways to deal with the stink, knowing full well that it was there long before they bought a house across the street.

So, this being a fair country, the vote turned out to be about 500 against the farmer and (like) 6 votes, for status quo. And, they were very proud of the democratic process at work.

This was the same process that closed San Gabriel Gun Club in Fish Canyon. After moving in, they voiced concerns about stray bullets, never mind that it had never happened. But, you have to admit, it's possible, right? Fifty year operation closed down, democracy in action. LB

[ September 04, 2014, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2014 06:59 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
We have a fair amount ? I guess, of dairies around here.

Many are owned by former Kalifornian's. We call many of 'em the Dutch Mafia.

Not really bad guys, just a little different. A little more uptight than most, and like to come across as high rollers.

Plus they have those damn, Forage Harvesters/Choppers. Mark knows, almost as bad as combines. (edit) maybe worse..Lol Sorry LB, I'm doing the farmers only talk, about equipment... [Smile]

[ September 04, 2014, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2014 07:28 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know. City folk just don't get it. I've seen the commercials.

edit: by the way, that scary shark program is being rerun right now on Discovery.

[ September 04, 2014, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2014 08:26 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Forage harvesters (choppers) are king here. Used to be cotton pickers but then cotton prices plunged. And then, all the Dutch dairy man that lived down in L.A sold their small dairies for big money because of urban sprawl,headed here and built huge ass dairies and million dollar homes.
Now they are going broke.And a gallon of milk is 5 bucks!

Dave, yep, a lot of those guys are some of our old customers from here in the valley. Just had one move there a couple months ago. They just got sick of Cali...and they loved to hunt so apparently Idaho was it for them.
Mark

Edit..yes those Dutch guys can be pretty arrogant, for sure.

[ September 04, 2014, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2014 08:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe? Yeah, from what I know, they are certainly clannish? My sister was married to one; her third or fourth, not sure?

Tell, you what though. I have passed through The Netherlands a couple times and seldom experienced a more friendly everyday citizens. They are said to be the tallest people in the world? That's saying something when you consider those African tribes.

And, KLM is a good airline. They have not lost my email in fifteen years. I get promotions from them all the time.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2014 10:57 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Historically, my 'goomba' friends would have our dairy farmer neighbor raise up a bull calf for us to butcher over the winter. The meat was just OK, but it sure was a fun & rewarding experience! It wasn't like these guys couldn't afford to buy store bought beef, they did it on principle...

Also, I useta go up Palm Sunday weekend every year, with my buddy's father. We'd get a buncha lambs from down the road, slaughter & butcher 'em all. Then, pack the coolers full of fresh lamb for the greenhorns back at home to enjoy, the following Easter Sunday. I'd keep 1/2 lamb for my family, too...

Come to think of it, I've been lucky enough to have been a part of quite a bit of that kinda stuff. Rabbits, chickens & roosters, lambs & goats, pigs & cows, we've done our share of 'old school' protein procurement. Sure glad for those experiences, cuz I'd otherwise not have had the opportunity to enjoy that part of Life...

Beautiful animals, Lonny! Good luck with the sale!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted September 05, 2014 11:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
He who shall not be named had a typical comment; said they were on the light side. I don't know? These are NOT feedlot animals. They look damned healthy, to me.

Those hides would tan up real nice. A guy told me, (he had 200 cows) that you really can't fight it, the best prices are black angus. Period.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2014 07:42 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they weighed an 850 lb. average and sold for $2.08 per pound. Considering I paid $2.00 when I bought them, anytime you can sell for more than you paid and they put on 250 lbs a guy can't complain at all. High was 2.14 and low was $1.98 for steers in the 8-900 lb. range.

Your right Leonard, they will go to a feedlot somewhere and get finished out. Black Angus or Angus crosses are bringing the best money around here also. I know a couple diehard Hereford ranchers who even though they have really nice cattle will get a nickel or more less than the price for angus stuff, but they have been Hereford families for 70 plus years and are stubborn about changing.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2014 09:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago, we used to prowl along the border between Tucson and Tombstone, I think the very early seventies? But, the range cattle in them parts, at the time was Bhrama. Supposed to tolerate the heat better, they said?

I don't know how to spell it, but the best looking cattle (in my humble opinion) is the Charlea. <That don't look right, but it's as close as I can get phonetically. Kind of a creamy white, taller than most other breeds. To my mind, a beautiful animal. And, I haven't seen one in a long time?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: PS congratulations on the sale. Now go buy a new gun!

[ September 05, 2014, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters