The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » AZ-Nine year old girl accidentally kills firearms instructor with an UZI

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AZ-Nine year old girl accidentally kills firearms instructor with an UZI
Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2014 03:34 PM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d50_1409089747

The instructor is dead but this young girl may be scarred for life.

Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2014 06:25 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that is a sad deal…after teaching hunter ed and NRA shotgun classes for almost 25 years, I can’t even begin to count the number of students I have worked with in live fire situations. I have only kicked one kid out of class that was jacking around with an unloaded shotgun. In our live fire situations, the instructor has the shells and hands it to the student to load after each shot. We not only are concerned with our safety, but the rest of the students and spectators. I am close enough to the shooter to pretty well stop any situation that could endanger myself or the watchers…on the other hand we are just talking about shotguns here, not automatic firearms…

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2014 06:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There are people on both sides of the issue that will question this event. Of course the anti crowd will shriek about the evil gun.

I just have to shake my head. Here we have people just passing through town, see the signs and think: Wow, what an opportunity for our little girl to experience "full auto"!

What the hell possesses these people? Not that it's dangerous; it shouldn't be. Probably less dangerous than a power mower, especially with an expert instructor. This little girl could live a long time without a need to experience shooting an Uzi.

And, the "Instructor"? What was he there for? Well, it's happened before, as I recall? I don't remember who was killed, it was somewhere in New England? But it was the same situation, the kid didn't understand recoil and nobody explained it to him/her.

Personal story. My folks used to own a 41' pleasure craft. Mainly in the summer we would all cross the channel and spend the weekends out at Catalina Island, the mythical "26 Miles Across The Sea" Santa Catalina is awaiting for me!

I used to take a rifle and shoot basking sharks and on this occasion, I had my Combat Commander with me, as well.

Well, there we were, at the stern, while my dad piloted the boat, we were just shooting at nothing. My nephew was probably nine, maybe ten? So, I was right there with him, and I made sure he only had one round. But, what I didn't do, is tell him what to expect. He had heard the loud noise of others shooting, but had not experienced the recoil, and I didn't say anything about it, either.

So, he totally limp wristed it, and the damned thing jumped out of his hands, (both of them). You know there was a mile of water under us, right on the stern, the deck was behind us and I caught the .45 from behind the boy, at the last possible moment before it was gone forever.

Yeah, I thought I was so careful, but I never thought that the kid wouldn't hold on to the gun. At least it magazine was empty....or, as I think of it right now, I believe I removed the magazine before I handed it to him?

Anyway, I can forgive the instructor a teensy bit, having done similar. But, there he was standing behind and over the little girl, right where recoil would aim the barrel at his head.... if she didn't hold on?

A stupid situation that didn't have to happen. Yeah, the little girl will be scarred for life, maybe? My nephew is a Marine Corps veteran, also the Diplomatic Corps and I mentioned the Combat Commander event, this was (maybe) ten years ago. He didn't remember it, at all!

Bad situation all around. I don't know what the answer is, a full grown woman can lose control the same way and still have her finger on the trigger. I'm sure the anti's will figure out a way to use this deal to their advantage? So, age requirements wouldn't work?

There you have it, we are running out of time and excuses. These things do not need to happen and there is no doubt on which side of the fence the undecided will fall.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: rereading this, I suddenly remembered why I was talking about the boating incident with my nephew. When the National City Police Department contacted me about recovering this .45, I told them to release it to Dave, my nephew, who was stationed in the San Diego area at the time and brought it to me that same weekend. So, that's why I mention the previous occasion on the boat, when I damned near lost it forever.

edit: For those that don't remember, this Colt was stolen and missing for ten years, but was in the National Database, and National City police took it from a Mexican involved in a domestic situation, and they did a search and my name popped up.

[ August 27, 2014, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2014 07:50 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
so much for startin' a kid on .22Shorts...
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2014 12:16 PM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
Knockemdown:
quote:
I hope the kid had used some sort of weapon before this. if not, then it's extra, extra foolish.

LB, you're right; the anti-gun bozos and couch critics have chimed in all over Facebook and Liveleak.

Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2014 01:23 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, its starting all over....the antigun crowd has a 'chub'.

The fact is it was a tragedy. They occur every day. Sadly this one was not the fault of an atv, lawn mower or auto.....it was a fire arm, and a full auto one at that. The antis are gonna eat this up.

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2014 01:24 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and single shots.....I hope this was not her first shooting experience, but from what I see in the clip, I think it was.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2014 05:13 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
This was no accident this was a careless instructor and should never have happened.bad deal all the way around.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters