The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Kimberly or Baker City Oregon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kimberly or Baker City Oregon
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2014 10:24 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
KoKo, LB and or anyone here. Tell me about the Predator Hunting in the above areas. I have hunted Mule Deer near Spray but it was years ago and have been made aware of some property for sale near Kimberly. I'm not sure (remember) if the Blue Grouse range that far south?

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2014 02:31 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not familiar with those areas.
My old stomping grounds were from French Glenn down to Winnemucca Nev.
In general, Oregon doesn't have the `stack-em knee deep` numbers but the fur quality is excellent. YMMV.
Had some damn good times hunting around Fields. Coyote, quail, chucker & hot springs to soak in.
Lots of deer, too.
Good people......... Great people if you favor Rednecks.
Bitter cold in the winter wind, though.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2014 08:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know where that is, my knowledge of Oregon is spotty. In the first place, coastal Oregon sucks. Endless friggin' trees, no ability to see a vista. Kinda gives me the creeps.

If the place you are interested in happens to be in the south-east quadrant, then it's great hunting, coyotes, bobcat and Richardson's ground squirrels. Yes, there be deer and bear, but I never wasted time pursuing those creatures. (what ever happened to bear hunter, anyway?)

Somebody must know? If I had your money, I'd just buy the whole state. (just kidding)

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31451 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2014 10:26 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
The only area with a lot of public land for hunting coyotes is SE Oregon. Trouble is every little town has more than its share of callers and callers from the cities are out hunting until the freeze up. Temps in the winter are brutal.

Laws regarding calibers during the draw hunts for deer and elk are screwy and all eastern Oregon hunts are draw hunts so you may only be allowed to hunt with a shotgun. Hunting at night is only allowed on public land and as an agent of the landowner. The state does not define what agent means.

As far as western Oregon is concerned there are tons of bobcats but Oregon requires a furtaker's license for hunting bobcats and you also have to buy tags. You have to decide what part of the state you want to hunt in and can only buy tags for where you're going to hunt. You only get 5 tags per season in eastern Oregon but once you've filled your tags for western Oregon you can buy more and more with no limit. There aren't a lot of bobcats in eastern Oregon but the pelts over that way bring upwards of $800. Lots of badgers over there.

I generally drive through Oregon on my way to Nevada but I usually kill a few coyotes in Oregon each year. I've had 5 and 6 coyote days with lost opportunities that could've brought numbers higher but those trips have gotten rare these days.

Western Oregon has a lot of coyotes but hunting them is tough. We hear them around our house at night and they are a problem for pet owners. We live on the edge of town and have farms and fields nearby. I have permission to call them on a few properties and have had some success but shooting a rifle around here is dangerous because of the density of farms and houses so I don't do it.

Cougar numbers are good in both parts of the state but a tag is required and quotas are watched closely.

IMO the best time to call Oregon is September before the deer hunters flood the countryside. Once deer season is over everybody becomes a coyote hunter. Best calling is done on private land and locals have a clear advantage in that regard. But every now and then the moon is right or something and the calling can be spectacular.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2014 04:32 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I've hunted neither the Kimberly or Baker City area's so, I'm of no help in that regard.

In fact never been to Kimberly, driven just south of there is all. Baker City is a bigger town though, freeway runs right by and is 2 1/2 hours from Boise Idaho, major airport and shopping dining ect-ect if that's important to you guys.

The Baker valley, I'll call it, is very scenic in my opinion. The Elkhorn ridge, part of the Blue Mountain area sits just west of town @ 9000' and is quite impressive and the Wallowa range to the north and east are pretty cool.

Moes right in his post. If a guy wants coyotes the best area is SE Oregon, generally speaking south of HYW 20 between Bend and Ontario. It's also the less scenic part of the state according to some..Lol

Hope this helps.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2014 06:16 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
My experience in the area(s) in question was not that of a hunter but as a wanderer and rock climber. Given that I'd be thrilled to hunt the area now.

There was a guy that was a member at PM, back when I first came around, from Madras, that killed A LOT of coyotes and cats.
First guy I ever really pissed off, for giving directions to places I knew in his backyard.

There's enough State and National Forest land around Kimberly to keep a guy busy for years and my experience was that people in Eastern Oregon are a lot friendlier (as far as land access goes) than Eastern WA or the eastern slopes of California so private lands should be easy to gain access to.

Driving up Hwy 395 or 97 from central CA or NV the country doesn't change a whole lot until you hit northeastern Washington, I can't imagine (other than other hunters) there's a whole lot to change population numbers. Almost all of it is the same long thin finger of the Great Basin Desert ecosystem.

Moe "Hunting at night is only allowed on public land and as an agent of the landowner."

I think Moe meant "private land" and as I remember from a PBS show on jackrabbits that's as simple as a standard hunting permission form.

Bottom line: If I cared more about predator hunting, and had the opportunity to, I'd move there, in a heartbeat. [Wink]

Krusty

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2014 09:01 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did mean private land.

It depends on who the LEO is as to whether a simple written permission form makes you an "agent" of the land owner. The regs were changed a few years ago to include the word "agent of the land owner."

I called ODFW headquarters 5 separate times to get a definition of the law regarding what the reg's were regarding hunting with a center fire rifle during the draw hunts and talked to 5 different people and got 5 different answers. I finally called the game warden in the area I intended to hunt and he told me that the way he was enforcing the law was that it only applied to the GMU where the draw hunt occurred. But, he said that if I were stopped by a deputy sheriff he may interpret the law differently.

When I called Salem a woman finally told e that the laws were written by one individual and he wrote them in a vague manner intentionally saying that if someone had a problem they could call him. Trouble is he won't answer his phone.

Hell of a way to run things. My state senator lives just down the road from me and we see him frequently. Maybe I should talk to him.

--------------------

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2014 09:05 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and the word "agent" was left up to whoever stopped you to interpret. Our local warden told me that it means I have to have a paper that specifically says the land owner wants me to kill coyotes.

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2014 11:28 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Moe;
What you describe is a perfect example of why sometimes it's a good idea to write an old fashioned letter to the different districts and ask for clarification.
When I lived in Calif. my hunting partners and I came up with a rather nice `Game Laws Interpretation Committee` letterhead for our Archery Club. When there was a question we would write to the Main Office and all of the District Offices. Like your conversations, the range of answers could be pretty vast. We filed the responses in case they were ever needed.

> Here's a fun project for a rainy day;
Write to Game & Fish and ask for a copy of the Regs.
They will either send you a pamphlet or direct you to a Sporting Goods store for a pamphlet.
This pamphlet is not the Regs.
Write back and mention that the pamphlet states that it is a `summary` of the Regs and that you would like a copy of the actual Regs.
We're talking several thick binders, here. Hideous reading, but useful at times when combined with letters with different interpretations.
If all of the above sounds a bit paranoid, I once had a Supervisor in the Olympia Wash. office state "Well, that's not in the Regs, but you can be cited for it".
Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot ????? [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7577 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2014 11:35 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty;
Your Shade still walks the Earth ????
How goes the re-hab ??
Body parts returning to factory spec & all that ??
Going from being active & free to a wheelchair would drive me stark raving mad, I'm afraid.

--------------------

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2014 05:06 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
To clarify, Koko is correct. The booklet we get regarding regulations is a summary of the laws. It's the booklet that the confusion is intentionally written in to. I think it's done to collect revenue by fining people for violations.

Think that doesn't happen? When I lived in Washington state the Republicans miraculously got control of the state legislature. One of the outgoing Democrats admitted passing regulations that they knew businesses couldn't reasonably adhere to just so the state could fine them for the revenue.

--------------------

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2014 08:46 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Moe,

I was unaware of the change in the language of the law. Either way the clarification of public vs private seemed prudent. [Smile]

I suppose I would deal with the agent status by altering the language of a standard permission slip to read: ____________ is hereby authorized, as an agent of the landholder, to hunt and/or otherwise manage the following animal species ____________ and as an agent of the landholder may do so by whatever means necessary during any and all hours of the legal hunting/trapping seasons for each of the aforementioned species.... etc.

If trapping and/or hazing isn't necessary to you or the landowners, omit that from the writing of your own contracts.
But... assisting with crows, jackrabbits, and other crop raiders may help in garnering access... it sure has for me. Promising to shoot groundhogs, rabbits, and squirrels, gained me access to my first property, here. Access to one property usually opens other doors (or gates).

I have two distinctly different permission forms that reflect the different relationships mentioned, because trapping is almost easier to get permission for than hunting... I had to add a clause prohibiting the hunting of deer and turkey to one of my properties.

Kokopelli,

Yes my shadow still passes, though still somewhat slowly.
The wheelchair was very frustrating but it beat dragging myself around like a worm (*which would have been very painful to boot)
I figure I'm at about 85-90%, now, but that's probably a bit optimistic. [Wink]
I still limp fairly heavily, struggle on rough ground, and I can't run at all.

I secured three properties to hunt, the week before my accident, and have yet to set a foot on any of them... and although I have renewed permission for two of them so far I don't know if or how much hunting I'll be doing this year.

But, hey, I ain't pushing up daisies so it could always be worse.

Krusty

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2014 10:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty, how come I'm not in the loop? We have people that seem to know your situation and I am not one of them?

You could bring me up to speed via email, if you are shy.

Good hunting El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2014 12:54 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
El Bee;
Thought that you knew.............
Krusty was working part time, dancing at Chippendales and fell off of the stage. Them women was on him like a flock of geese on a Junebug. Mugged & molested. The boy may never be the same again, physically or mentally.
Hence, the long recovery.

At least that's what I heard, or something like that.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2014 05:24 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You gotta learn to shake it off. Hell, I put up with that on an almost daily basis!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Duckdog
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2014 07:09 PM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
"What in the hell would anyone want to go to Oregon fer?"
The Mountain Men

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2014 08:43 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

You're not out of the loop as much as it was me that was.

After my trip to PA to visit FoxPro, in light of the final dust-up with he who shall not be mentioned, I needed a break from the boards. Hence, no trip report ever became of it.

I had joined the board of another he who shall not be mentioned, when I had gone back to making calls... and since the main he who shall not be mentioned was on a time out, there, when I felt like posting again that was where I did so. *He's since been reinstated and some of us have walked away, more or less. But I digress.

Anyways, last year I had taken a job as a field rep for a collections company, part messenger part skip trace, I basically was the last face to face contact before the foreclosure or repossession process and was verification of the whereabouts of debtors and condition of properties.
It involved a lot of miles on my motorcycle which eventually caught up to me, mid last September. I was struck by a car at highway speed and pushed into the left turn lane and subsequently into a guardrail (*at about an 80 angle across my path) and was thrown a good distance into the median.
It could have ended much worse had I gone down on the road surface, the chances of survival being extremely nil. Who knows how many cars would have run over me?

Again, all things considered my injuries could have been so much worse, but they weren't minor.
When my bike struck the guardrail I had slowed it to about 30mph so the impact wasn't major but it still knocked the hell out of me... my left thigh hit the handlebar and my right hip pocket hit the windscreen as I flipped into the air.

I still can see the driver of the car that pushed me, as he left the scene, when I was upside down, probably 12 feet below me. Some 40 feet past the guardrail that stopped my bike I landed in the deep ditch in the center median. My left leg folded under as I went landed (somewhat stiff legged) and I ended up sitting on my left foot and sliding to a stop without ever touching any part of my upper body (other than my hands) on the ground.

It didn't seem all that bad. [Eek!]

I was shaken, a bit confused, and really pissed about my bike. I didn't, at the time, understand how I'd gotten there.
I did a quick mental inventory, raised myself onto my feet and immediately sat back down.
My knee hurt bad enough I couldn't bear any weight, my lower back hurt, and the symptoms of shock were already setting in... I knew I was hurt, bad.
I started to take my helmet off, so I didn't puke inside it, just as a guy came jumping over the guardrail. He was talking a mile a minute, explaining that he used to be a paramedic and not to remove my helmet (which I did anyways), stating how crazy that crash looked, and telling me he'd called 911.
I was fairly close to the Fire Station so things started happening pretty fast.

The next thing I know I am assaulted by a team of firefighters and EMT, taped to a backboard, and loaded into an ambulance. I was taken to a satellite emergency center for a larger regional hospital where they began to assess my injuries.
It was fairly quickly determined that they weren't going to be able to help me and I was transfered to the University of Virginia.

Once there I found out that I had fractured my leg pretty badly, what's known as a tibia plateau fracture... basically the top of my shin, the lower half of the knee joint, had been split in half long-wise pushing the inside half off of the shinbone.
It was going to require surgery (at the least one, and perhaps several) to repair my knee. I also had jarred my lower back fairly significantly, my sacral arch had taken a pounding,
The surgery and recovery for the knee required no weight bearing at all, for 6-8 weeks, but the injury to the sacral arch/pelvis was bad enough that I couldn't "swing" the weight of my legs on crutches.
The only option left was a wheelchair.

I was on wheels, full time, until just before Thanksgiving. On crutches with very little strength, part time, through Christmas, falling back (no pun intended) on the wheelchair when I needed my hands to carry food etc, or on days when I had places to go.

Crutches were eventually replaced by a cane, around Valentine's Day, and physical therapy ramped up from just keeping mobility... loss of range of motion is the enemy as the bone heals... to gruelingly painful rebuilding of muscle mass and breaking up of scar tissues. *I had deep tissue bruising in my thigh and had torn the muscle in my calf which they had to yank even more to gain access to the broken bone to install a steel plate and a handful of screws.

About then is when we started to think I had torn the meniscus (the cartilage lining the knee joint). I was having issues with fluid build up (water on the knee) they were draining it every couple weeks.
Set back.... 4 more weeks of limited motion and weight bearing.

I have gone round and round pretty much ever since then, swelling, draining, three steps forward one step back. The knee feels better, my back goes out, my back gets better I push too hard and my knee gives me grief.
I have finally, knock on wood, gone some time without fluid build up in my knee *too much walking over 4th of July weekend was the last bout I lost.

So.... here I am almost at the end of one of the longest hardest years of my life.
Sorry I left y'all out of the loop, but it was harder to talk about while I was going through it.

A picture is worth a thousand words;

-

Smithers questioned my ability to pass through metal detectors, so far (*and I have similar hardware in the ankle attached to this knee) no problems.

Krusty

--------------------

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2014 09:33 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy shit...sorry to hear that Jeff. That is crazy! So, they never got the guy that hit you?

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2014 04:01 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow I hope things start going your way and you heal up enough to put your new skills into finding the driver.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2014 06:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it confirms what I knew a long time ago. It's not if you will have a bad accident on a motorcycle, it's when.

Thanks for the update. Assume you are training for the paraolympics of some sort? Might as well.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2014 08:28 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

No they never found or even looked for the hit and run driver. The Trooper that came on scene saw the skid marks and determined I was solely at fault without even speaking to me (beyond me telling him I wasn't sure what happened).
He charged me with reckless driving (*and even got kind pissed when I quipped "why is it reckless driving when I got in a wreck?" while signing the ticket).

The case was dismissed when I went to court.

Tom,

I don't figure things aren't going my way. [Smile]
This particular injury is very difficult for many people. My doctor considers me a success story especially when considering range of movement regained.
And most important of all I'm not dead.

I did try to figure out who this guy was, I placed an add in the local shopper trying to find witnesses, and even spent an afternoon watching rush hour traffic go by the scene.
Any idea how many white Ford Tauruses there are in the world? [Roll Eyes]

It was just a "perfect storm" deal... bad place to pull out into bad traffic, a 10-15 over the speed limit mentality here, and some frustration on my part (I'd been lost trying to find an address and was running way behind to make my last few stops).

Leonard,

I know and I agree. This isn't the first bad accident I've been in but I do hope it'll be the last.
Motorcycling for many people is like smoking, you know it may kill you someday but you're hooked.

Paraolympics, no. I just want to be back to active and healthy again, to hunt and hike and maybe climb some rocks, and I have pushed myself extremely hard to get to it.
You guys know me, though, I tend to overdo things and this has been one of them "give it time" is medical advice that's hard for me to take.

Speaking of... I've got three miles to gimp around the high school track and 12 sets of bleacher stairs to hobble up and down (one lap one set of stairs) before work.

Back to mostly lurker status for me, take care y'all!

Krusty

--------------------

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2014 09:36 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
" It's not if you will have a bad accident on a motorcycle, it's when."

Yeah, that. I had two of them. Fortunately, while I was in SE Asia during the Vietnam war my wife failed to make the payments on mine and it was repossessed. I'm 70 and still have the urge to get a motorcycle.

Krusty: Sorry to hear this stuff. Hope you get better and soon.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters