The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » I know Jim will like this... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I know Jim will like this...
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2014 02:25 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Velvety goodness!

-

-

-

-

-

I'll post some of the good ones later [Big Grin] .

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2014 04:15 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice!

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2014 06:27 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
There's some cool deer there Dave!

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2014 03:21 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some more of them.

-

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2014 03:34 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yowza!
That last pic, looks like those tines are stacked off the main beams like a whitetail's rack?!?

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2014 04:25 AM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
So much so that a couple chills ran through me. I like that buck with the white tail rack too! Hope he lives long enough to realize his full potential. I bet he will be something crazy cool, if he does. Thanks, Dave!!
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2014 04:31 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of crazy cool, this one is along those lines I think.

-

-

Few more...

-

-

-

- DAA

--------------------

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2014 04:42 AM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn!!!!
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2014 06:57 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!!! Nice ones!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2014 07:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a hybrid. I have never seen one, but they started talking about mule/whitetail crosses back in Kansas? several years ago. And, I have seen whitetails , rather common actually, up in
Cor'delane never could spell that town, it's way up in Idaho, not far from Spokane, WA. And they say the whitetail bucks are more aggressive, don't know? And they are tramps, will mount anything, hence weird looking deer with black tails. Seem bigger than those scrawny Texas deer, more like Virginia Whitetails. Hell, I don't know?

But, hard to believe, in Utah, a state I have hunted quite a bit in the past.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2014 08:13 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
I know that buck looks like a hybrid, but if I had to make a very educated guess, I'd say that is impossible where that buck was photographed. Probably not a whitetail within 300 miles of those deer. Am I close on that guess Dave?
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2014 08:46 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking the same Troy. Nothing is impossible, but, in the Henrys? Seems terribly unlikely.

- DAA

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2014 10:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said above, hard to believe? And, personally, I have not seen whitetails in Utah. But, I guess I won't believe my lying eyes? I don't remember seeing a location along with the photos so how we know it's within 300 miles of anything?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2014 11:50 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
All quite simple, really.
Climate Change in the form of Global Warming has caused eddies in the Gene Pool resulting in mutations such as we are seeing. While more study is warranted and more Government Funding is needed, the early evidence indicates that it's Bush's fault.
Eh ?? [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2014 11:56 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few whitetail in Utah, along the Bear River drainage specifically - they've been slowly moving in for decades and decades. And there have been scattered reports of hybrids here and there all over the place for as long as I can remember. A friend of my Dad's killed a hybrid, verified as such by the DWR, on Monroe Mountain in central Utah, 30 years ago.

So, like I said, nothing is impossible. The Henrys are really, really isolated though. Not a good migration corridor from anywhere. You've got the big rivers, the big canyons, the big dry deserts on all sides for a long ways. It was the last mountain range in the lower 48 to even be named, or mapped. Just too damn hard to get to!

But, I've seen more than a handful of mulies with antlers similar to that over the years, in a lot of places. My thinking - and I have zero "knowledge" - just my thinking, but if that's the only indicator, if the rest of the animal looks 100% mule deer, I'm going with it is 100% mule deer. Antlers do all kinds of funky stuff. I've seen several mulies with antlers palmated like a moose.

- DAA

--------------------

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2014 12:32 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's a hybrid. I have never seen one, but they started talking about mule/whitetail crosses back in Kansas? several years ago.

You could be right, LB…when I saw that rack, I did a double take just like Fred did and thought it might be a hybrid.

Where I grew up in Russell, Kansas, we are right at the Eastern most edge of the mule deer range in Kansas. I have seen quite a few deer shot in that area that showed characteristics of hybrids…mule deer chevrons on the face and mulie ears and tails with whitetail racks, as well as whitetail faces and tails with mule deer type racks with forks.

I have seen whitetail bucks breeding mulie does. The whitetail bucks are much more aggressive, running the bigger racked mulies off and tending the does.

The interesting question is if the hybrids can breed or not?…no one has ever answered that question for me.

[ August 05, 2014, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 12 posted August 05, 2014 01:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends. I'm a hybrid, French, Polish and two Germans. But, I did manage to breed. To German/Irish of all things!

I don't know, Dave? All mulie characteristics, with a whitetail rack? Doesn't seem fair? Next thing you know, there's no such thing as coy dogs.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2014 08:25 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
To my eye, the only whitetail characteristic is the rack, which, as Dave mentioned is unusual, but not unheard of or seen now and again.
The metatarsal gland is the give away, it is placed correctly and of the right length and size to distinguish it as a mule deer. The metatarsal gland is unique to each of the species, mule deer, high and long, whitetail is lower and short.
In Arizona, I believe they take that characteristic into consideration when determining a hunters buck species, if that hunter believed it to be a cross or hybrid?

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2014 08:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously? We need to glass those canyons and hillsides for metatarsal glands rather than the single item (antlers) that normally separates the bucks from the does? This is way beyond my skill set.

A guy dresses up in high heels and a tight dress, wears makeup and fake padding in his bra. However, if you pick up his skirt and pull down his panties, (I'm a simple man) He still looks like a male, to me.

The single thing is the rack, and when we are talking millions of bucks; "forget that whitetail rack, Stupid! Can't you see that metatarsal, plain as day?"

If it looks like a duck, etc. What our learned deer hunters are suggesting is, "Hey, pure blooded mules can, (occasionally) have a rack that appears to be just like a white tail deer."

This is way beyond my pay grade.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

KaBloomR
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2014 03:44 PM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome pics, as usual! Thanks for sharing. I'm putting my money on that questionable buck as being pure Muley.....

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2014 04:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I sure look outvoted? <sob> You guys are mean.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2014 04:39 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. LB, I'd shoot any one of those bucks, without a 2nd thought!
But, if I had to think about it, I'd like to whack the 'crazy cool' traditional lookin' Muley, the one with the junk points sticking off the right side...

What are the odds of drawing a tag in that area, Dave?
Or is that a "pay to play" managed unit?

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
KaBloomR
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2014 04:59 PM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you have accumulated several points, ked, you have better odds of being struck by lightning.

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2014 07:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I keep forgetting. If Vic says so; he who taught the great JohnHenry everything he knows, then I guess that deer with the weird headgear is just a mule, with a clown 8 pt. rack. Case closed, ok?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2014 03:20 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Six on one side thee on the other, actually. The big side has a cheater that makes it six. Hard to see from these pictures though!

Fred, I'd have to look it up online, but I think the straight draw odds are somewhere around 275 to 1. Think you needed 18 bonus points (you get 1 each year you fail to draw) to be sure of drawing this year. "Point creep" just keeps getting worse though. So, if you were just starting now, it would probably be well over 20 points needed to draw by the time you got there.

I drew a tag for the Books a few years ago, so I only have 1 bonus point now (can't put in for 2 years after you draw). At my age, I honestly don't expect to live long enough to draw this tag. So I'm not even putting in for it. I'm trying for an archery tag across the street from there on Elk Ridge, I MIGHT get that one in only 15 years. And I MIGHT both live that long and still be healthy enough for a solo archery hunt...

- DAA

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters