The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Awesome Trip to Remember!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Awesome Trip to Remember!
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2014 06:24 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
I was on vacation down in Utah all week. While it was a family vacation I did manage to sneak in 1.5 days of fishing. I had a great time time fishing with my oldest son and friends. Plus I was able to catch tiger trout and a wiper, of which, I have never caught before. For only a day and a half on 3 different lakes I really can't complain.

Al Morris (of Foxpro/Hunter's Specialties fame) and my oldest son with his first Kokanee Salmon.
 -

Me with one of several rainbows we caught out of Strawberry Res.
 -

Al and I with another trout.
 -

My son with a pretty cutty.
 -

A few days after Strawberry Res we traveled to southern Utah had continued success. I've never caught a tiger trout before. I caught this little guy and one just a little bigger. Granted it's tiny, but at least I can say I've caught a couple of them now. The fishing conditions on the mountain lake where they live wasn't that great. The lake had weeded up really bad and made fishing really difficult at best. However, my partner and I still managed to land a couple each. I sure think they are cool looking and I'd like to have another run at them when the lake isn't so weedy. Wouldn't mind catching a few bigger one's either. [Wink]
 -

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2014 06:26 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
We also spent the other half of the day fishing for smallmouth bass. My son kicked my butt in this department as did everyone on the boat. I landed only one tiny smallie, but I caught another fish that more than made up for it...more about that later.

Here's my son with one of several smallies he boated. He did real well for having never caught one before.
 -

One of my best fishing buddy's with a nice smallie he was able to bring aboard.
 -

This is the guy that was kind of enough to take us out on his bass boat. He was a super guy and I'm glad he was also able to land a really nice smallmouth.
 -

Like I said earlier I didn't exactly light it up with the smallies. I'm not sure why. I've caught literally hundreds of them in my lifetime. For some reason I just couldn't hit my groove. I did manage to catch a couple 20" rainbows, but I can catch those here and I wasn't all that excited about them. So hence, no photos of the trout. However I did get totally surprised when this dandy wiper nearly ripped the rod right out of my hand. Heck, I was using my ultra-light outfit and it gave me all the battle I could handle. The two local guys were all giddy over it, as I guess it's biggest one they've personally ever seen come out of the lake. I was all giddy because I'd never caught one before and it wasn't a total dink sized minnow. It was a fantastic week with friends and family. I can't wait to do it again some day.
 -

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2014 08:59 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Outstanding report, Troy!

I've never even heard of that tiger trout? Kinda looks a bit like a bass of some sort? What did you catch the striper with? Out here, they go for a soft rainbow trout lure.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2014 03:15 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like too much fun!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2014 03:28 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Great times Troy! Thanks for the post and pics of some good fishing.
Strippers are a lot of fun.
Once upon a time on Lake Powell we were out in the middle of a boil and a monsoon storm was approaching we could not stop dropping a line in for another meanwhile my wife is freaking out and my nephew and I could care less about the storm , a day to remember.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2014 06:22 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the heck with a `Bucket List`.
Just reincarnate me as Troy.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Duckdog
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2014 06:48 AM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a great time!
Wipers are an absolute blast to catch! I'd go so far as to say they're the "fightingest" fish we have in Kansas waters.
They will flat strip the line out!
I usually fish with power pro line, and anybody who's ever used that line knows how tough it is...
I've hooked into a few fish that snapped it like nothing that I always just assume to be wipers.

Every one that I've ever caught hits like a mack truck,...no nibbling or messing around,...BANG ane ruuuuuuuuun!
They aren't the best table fare though,...in my opinion. Definitely OK,...Just don't serve them up with a mess of crappie or catfish. [Wink]

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2014 07:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ah, the heck with a `Bucket List`.
Just reincarnate me as Troy.
[Big Grin]

Boy Howdy! And, friends with Big Al, too.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2014 09:18 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Well it was a super fun trip and one I do have something I want to say about Big Al. I've read a lot of armchair experts express their opinion about him, and his success at the World's, or his life in general. All I can say is anyone that runs his name down hasn't taken the time to get to know him. He is literally a salt of the earth type of person, and all his success has been earned the hard way. He's had a heckuva long hard road to get to where he is today, and I wish him all the success in the world. Heck, if I worked half as hard at art as he does his life, I'd probably be a millionaire.

Leonard I caught that striper on a Panther Martin. I was actually trying to catch some trout before the guy with the boat arrived. I did manage to do so, but then all of the sudden my rod doubled over and I was in for one heckuva a fight. I was not expecting it and it gave my little ultra-light St. Croix all it could handle and then some. Sure was exciting.

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2014 09:55 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
A most excellent trip, congrats all around!!
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2014 04:30 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Your fishing pics are driving me crazy! Lol..

However, I had fun as well in southern arizona last weekend.

This lake was emptied in 2008 and bass are coming back fast!

-

[ July 29, 2014, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2014 06:07 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 

[ July 29, 2014, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2014 06:30 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Tech support to the rescue!

Edit post and click on "image " link..

In photobucket, there's four options to cut and paste links.. Select the direct link and put full address..

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2014 08:34 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Furry Dirt;
What lake is that ???
Thanx !!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2014 03:03 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd take a swag it is Pena Blanca lake Koko?
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2014 05:38 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, Pena Blanca south of tucson , west of I-19..

They remodeled, they removed ALL the weeds and dredged.. It now has a very nice boat ramp..

Kinda of miss the old days (pre2008) when hardly no one went to that lake . It had huge bass.

Already lots of full sized bass boats.. The lake is only slightly larger than my pool..

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2014 06:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Shit, I was going to guess Martinez or Alamo, but there are major problems with both. One is possibly not in Arizona and the other is not exactly "southern" Arizona? Also, Never heard of Pena Blanca? Does that translate to "white penis"?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2014 07:46 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, that's day trip drivable.
What kind of fish ??
I'm looking for a decent place to do some bowfishing for carp.

--------------------

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2014 09:07 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
If it is called white penis, it should really be called little white penis.. :-)

--------------------

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 5 posted July 30, 2014 09:09 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
It has decent channel cat and bass, I haven't heard much on carp! I don't know if they stocked any crappie or flathead either..

[ July 30, 2014, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2014 12:51 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a road trip may be in order after my much anticipated bear/deer/turkey hunt in Aug.
Furry; if you see an idiot paddling a canoe while standing up............that'll be me. [Cool]

--------------------

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2014 01:03 PM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang nice fish Troy.
Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters