The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » One thing checked off my bucket list! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: One thing checked off my bucket list!
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 06:50 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Got to check one thing off my bucket list this week.

I have always had an affinity for Weatherby over/unders since I was a kid. About every other Friday night we went out to eat in Russell, Kansas. After supper, I would beg and cajole my dad into visiting the local sporting goods store to look at guns.

The guys who owned the store were friends of my dad’s, and they would shoot the shit while I ogled all of the guns on the rack. They had all of the ‘special’ guns away from the regular rack…mostly high grade Brownings, and all of the Weatherby rifles and shotguns in a special area behind the counter. The owners didn’t have any problem letting a snot-nosed 12 year old behind the counter and get up close to all of those beauties.

For some reason, I really honed in on Weatherby Regency O/U and later the Olympian. I made sure I always got a Weatherby catalog to keep it front and center in my mind. I told myself someday I would own one.

Fast forward about 41 years…I made a friendly visit this week to our local gun/pawn shop and while I was chatting with the owner, something caught my eye…more specifically, the huge white diamond on the pistol grip of an over and under shotgun sitting in his rack.

Much to my surprise, I was soon holding a 1977 model Weatherby Olympian with the prettiest wood I have seen in a while, and for a brief moment, I felt 12 years old again!

After some heavy negotiation, I traded a safe queen .17 HMR and some cash and the Weatherby now sits in my gun safe. I probably paid about $75 too much, but I wasn’t going to let it stand in the way of that gun.

The action is really tight, and I can’t think it has had more than a box of shells through it. The stock has a few dings, but it looks like it has sat in a gun rack for most of its life.

It is a 28”, 12 gauge, choked Improved/Modified. I made the decision earlier this year to start hunting pheasants and quail again this fall, and I can’t think of a better gun to spend time with in the field!

[ July 25, 2014, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 07:00 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
$75 is pretty cheap to feel 12 years old again...

We all have our dream gun, mine was a Kimber 22 magnum.

Forgot to say I hope you kill a truck load of birds with it.

[ July 25, 2014, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: TOM64 ]

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 07:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, that might be a topic. Predator hunter's bucket list.

Anybody?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 08:00 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Catherine Zeta Jones in a room full of balloons. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 08:37 AM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Catherine Zeta Jones BEFORE she started spitting out kids & was commanding 20 mil per movie.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
KaBloomR
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 08:50 AM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't need to parachute off the top of the Empire State Building, but one of the things I would really like to do is get together around a campfire with all of you old warhorses and talk coyote hunting - past, present, and future.....

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
KaBloomR
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 08:54 AM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
And I have always been infatuated with a Marlin "Super Goose" bolt action 10 gauge. Hopefully I'll acquire one someday.....

--------------------

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 10:14 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I have always been infatuated with a Marlin "Super Goose" bolt action 10 gauge. Hopefully I'll acquire one someday.....

One of my buddies had the 12 ga. model in high school...if I remember right the barrel was 36"?

It seemed like if you missed them with the shot, you could swat them out of the air!

[ July 25, 2014, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 10:48 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 

Marlin 5510 Super Goose with barrel cut down to 26" and a Colonial Arms extra full choke installed. A real "Butt Kicker"

[ July 25, 2014, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 11:24 AM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
dad always dove hunted with a browning feather weight 20 ga., I on the other hand had a single shot 20 bolt, I always wanted that browning, well last winter while I was out there working he gave it to me and I couldn't make myself take it home, but he has been after me all yr so next time I'm there I plan to get it to dove hunt with

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 12:32 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
PruneDude;
In my mind and on my list, she will always be the woman from `The Mask of Zorro` [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted July 25, 2014 12:59 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but. They say she not only has a huge case of bipolar disorder, but her vagina gave her husband throat cancer. True story. Why take a chance?

Yeah, I suppose acquiring certain coveted firearms would qualify for inclusion on a bucket list, but I was thinking (you know?) skydiving/base jumping, three weeks in Bali, a train trip to the Copper Canyon, any one of Dave's Excellent Hikes, or, for that matter, any of Dave's Excellent rifles, Megan Kelly on speed dial for a quickie, a cup of Vic's civet coffee, a Black Card, entering The World Series Of Poker, another six coyote stand, a twelve inch dick, etc.

Come on, use your imagination!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 07:43 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I would trade every whitetail deer in okla for the quail to come back around here. I hope you enjoy your new shotgun and fill lots of daily limits.

--------------------
mike

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 07:45 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a list....

It rhymes with bucket....

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 07:46 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
It's all the things I've decided I'm NOT going to do!

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 08:09 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, is that like dropping the B off Bucket List & substituting an F ? If so my list includes Marg Helgenburger, along with a young Zeta Jones because I eat biscuits & gravy.

--------------------
mike

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 10:32 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to kill a good elk, mule deer and antelope. Go on another good bird hunt and watch good dogs work again.

But right now I'm working on running a half marathon with my daughter, that's on the agenda for fall, maybe spring since both of us are overcoming injuries.

I'd also like to have another good hunt with my dad, need to work on that before it's too late.

Oh and get a 1911 to run 100%

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2014 01:52 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a good buy, Tim. Enjoy it. I've purposely chosen to stay away from bucket lists. Trying to focus on what I do have rather than what I don't. I honestly look around me and cannot think of a single tangible I would like more than just to see the people I am closest to have the opportunity to live a normal, productive, happy life. Just can't bring myself to waste even a minute's time thinking about what I want, when that time is better spent focused on what they need.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2014 08:28 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys got me thinking of my bucket list, but I try not to think too hard about it since I can't do most things on it.. Damn marriage.. :-)

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2014 03:35 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok..............as long as we're dreaming out loud;
(1) I would like to; take a bowfishing trip on the Trinity River for one of those huge Alligator Gar.
(2) Call in a world record Mountain Lion and take it with my bow.
(3) Read the book on predator calling that Leonard still won't write.
(4) Call in a Jaguar and not piss all over myself.
(5) Find a really good place to flyfish for bluegils on the spawning beds.
(6) Learn the Japanese Kyudo style of archery.

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2014 05:51 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Bucket list is basically chasing some western critters. In no particular order:

1. DIY hunt, bull elk with a bow. Maybe this September is a charm?

2. DIY hunt, spot & stalk a high country muley buck (po' mans sheep hunt)

3. Do a fun, DIY goat/coyote combo hunt with a couple buddies

4. !!!KILL A WOLF!!!

5. Attend a HM Campout

6. Kill a mature buck in the Adirondacks. Hunting deer in 'cow country' is easy-schmeasy, especially with a decent shooting rifle. Would love to do a backpack hunt in the snow for a wary ol' mountain buck. Pack in, spike camp, endure the elements for a couple days, etc. Kinda like a back-country western hunt, but back East in the heart of the 'Dacks...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2014 07:19 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to go to africa and shoot a blue balled monkey.

Next week it might be something else, but this has been on my mind lately...

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
KaBloomR
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2014 01:19 PM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
^ This ^
Is this species the one with the ass that looks like a rainbow colored catcher's mitt? Would make for a really cool tobacco pouch.....

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2014 02:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I spent a good bit of my scheduled pursuits tracking baboons. For those in the know, that is one of the hardest animals to hunt, in Africa. They are constant on the move and it seemed that we never got closer than (?) maybe 600 yards, and you have 50-75 sets of very sharp eyes always on the lookout. Otherwise, it's just a target of opportunity and blind luck. They travel like gypsies, word of mouth might put them 20 miles to the east one day and twenty miles back where you started the next. But, I wanted one, baboon and caracal were my two biggest disappointments. <sob>

Good hunting. El Bee

might be talking "mandril" or is it mandrel?

[ July 28, 2014, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2014 09:53 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Couple years back, David Tubb did a video on baboon sniping...

Youtube linky to video trailer

[ July 29, 2014, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters