The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » A sad day here

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A sad day here
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2014 06:39 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Not at all hunting related, but different to see. We lost another of our historic structures last evening, right after the dinner hour. The Great Plains Theatre was a professional theatre that had been founded in a renovated historic church, first built in 1880. This place is one of the few professional Broadway-class theatres west of the Mississippi River and for the past twenty years, some of the leading actors and actresses from Broadway have come here to spend a month and appear in an off-Broadway production. While here, many of these people work with local and area youth interested in learning to act. For many, like my daughter, it was a chance to come out of their shell and become "someone else" for a couple hours, for a couple weeks. A nationwide fundraiser is being launched to fund the rebuilding of the GPT. Just sad to lose another of our old buildings. On the plus side, the emergency response was great. Five different fire departments responded from the region, putting over 60 firefighters on the fire ground, along with EMS, CERT, Emergency Preparedness, and law enforcement. Went by the ruins this afternoon and there was a large throng of media there interviewing the Fire Chief, his Public Information Officer and the Police Chief. No injuries reported, and the FD's on scene were able to save structures on two sides within 30 feet, limiting damage to one 6-plex apartment building to a single broken window and a melted plastic blind. Going to a scene like this and just ogling like everyone else is hard to do when you used to be one of the guys in full battle rattle. It was cool to see all the little boys with their parents just wide-eyed at all the apparatus and firefighters, man and women both. There are still heroes amongst us.

http://www.abilene-rc.com/flashvideowindow.lasso?-token.specificitem=19772.113118

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 05:44 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a shame, Lance. Don't know what it is about Opera Houses/Theatres, but they seem to be dropping like flies.

A couple of years ago, the one in Wilson burned, and we are having the Opera House here in GB on the list to be demolished.

Sounds like yours was really cool.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2014 01:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There is an Opera House way out in the middle of nowhere, Mojave Desert between Shoshone and Lathrop Wells. I have been by it several hundred times, never stopped. But, it is moderately well known. Can't think of the name of it, at the moment but they have a fair size motel right next to it. Always thought it would be cool to see what it's all about.

For that matter, it's not an Opera, but the Ramona Pageant every year in San Jacinto is unique. It's an outdoor amphitheater with a lot of hidden locations in the mountainside, and horses and cowboys and lots of guns and indians. Alejandro doesn't make it.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit:

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/ca-deathvalleyjunction.html

http://www.ramonabowl.com/ramona.htm

[ July 25, 2014, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters