The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Shooting a new recurve... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Shooting a new recurve...
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2014 03:03 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Tuning up a new bow this afternoon. Couple different 20 yard broadhead pics. I was impressed with myself, so I quit while I was ahead.
Mark

-

-

-

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2014 03:51 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice looking bow , what make is it?
Good shootin btw.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2014 04:01 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks tight, Mark!
+1 for bow info, and are those VPA broadheads?

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2014 06:58 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you got yourself a shooter !!!!

We need more info;
Draw weight / arrow size & weight.
Make of broadhead.
All that good stuff.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7510 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2014 07:49 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Lee "Natural" model. Birdseye maple limb veneers, shedua and maple riser with birdseye and black micarta overlays.. 64 " and 55 lbs at 30" draw.
Shoots like a champ.

Arrows are black Goldtip .340's. 31 1/4". 225 gr up front total,including Stinger 125 gr 2 blade broadheads.

Same setup (different recurve) zipped thru a (admittedly small) California muley/blacktail last year like butter. Complete pass thru at 25 yards.
Mark

[ July 14, 2014, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2014 02:55 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I reading this right ??
225 gr. shaft & 125 gr. b/h for a 350 gr. arrow weight out of 55lbs ??
That should be a pretty fast set-up.
(I know next to nothing about carbons. The Easton 2213 is my `go to` shaft for most of my bows.)

I learnt a neat new trick on my last camping trip.
(1) Find out what the maximum distance your set-up will shoot is.
(2) When you're in camp, discretely range prominent objects like off colored trees or bushes that are at your max. range. Pick one for a target & keep it in mind.
(3) When the practice session starts at normal distances and the b-s gets knee deep, casually suggest a couple of shots at whatever target you've picked out.
If you shoot decent line, it's a tough act to follow even for the wheel-bow guys.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7510 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2014 06:32 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't shot my black widow in several years. Don't know if I could hit a bulls-ass much less a bulls-eye with it anymore. Now with my Mathews, I only shoot one arrow per spot with broadheads. those fletches will shave right off.

Reminds me, I have to build another string and buss for my Mathews

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2014 09:12 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
No 225 grain total point weight, made up of 125 gr. Broadhead and a 100 gr. brass insert. Then you have your shaft weight on top of that...which for me is about 280 ish.
Tuning carbons for trad bows is different than compounds.
Mark

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 02:48 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny Dan I had ruined more than one arrow shaving the fletch off trying Robin hood shots with my Mathews , gets expensive.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 03:18 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Really good looking setup and it's obviously working. Looks like fun! My Bob Lee has been neglected for a long, long time now. Has not been strung in years. Never shot anything but cedar with it. Got a bunch of PO shafts that have to be going on 50+ years old now - from the original Rose City mill.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 04:36 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the joys of cedar !!!
I used to buy the shafts in bundles of 100.
The super straights got broadheads.
The straights got field points.
The expendables got Judo heads.
Nobody does any roving stump shooting with friends anymore; might ruin a $15 arrow. Sad that something that enjoyable has faded away.
Now, cedar costs more than aluminum to begin with and by the time I splice in a hardwood footing the arrows are worth more than the bow. [Eek!]

--------------------

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 07:31 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I shot cedar and a couple other woods for awhile, aluminum too, but switched to carbons and like em the best overall. A little touchy for tuning sometimes though.

I gave up compound bows bout 10 years ago, went back to traditional stuff. To me it is just way more fun to shoot, and simpler, lot less bullshittery to mess with.

I also tried to give up archery for a couple years, but like calling...when the season starts to roll around, I get the itch.
Mark

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 08:31 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
This will be the first time in about 30 years I have not even made an effort to archery hunt.

Reasons are multiple and the decision was a sad one, but, it is what it is.

I do hope to get back to it someday. The mule deer bowhunt has always been not just my favorite hunt, but my favorite thing to do, period.

Things have sure got to be sucky with Utah deer hunting though.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 08:43 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Howl,
Those Stingers are made here in Great Bend by a friend of mine by the name of Mike Sohm who owns Magnus Archery.

It is kind of cool to go visit him in the factory...it is about 10 blocks from where I type this.

Great company--great looking rig you got!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 10:13 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey...thats cool! Love Stingers! Can you tell him to lower the price though...they are getting expensive lol. (what aint though)
Mark

--------------------

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 11:24 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Sad to hear that Utah deer hunting has declined. It's been years since I've hunted there, but it used to be awesome. We had a great camping spot on the Warner Lake Loop out of Moab. Good times for all. My wife even killed a deer there with her bow.
Guess that nothing stays the same. [Frown]

--------------------

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 11:30 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave..could you elaborate a bit? Utah deer numbers way down? Im aware of some of the problems but am oblivious to others Im sure.

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 03:12 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Deer numbers are fairly stable. But the way you have to draw a tag now, with the state split up into I don't even know how many units, is one problem. I can't even just "buy" a tag anymore.

The number of people is another problem. Utah changed things up a few years ago to where the elk archery and deer archery open on the same Saturday and in the area I have hunted for the last 20 years that has meant WAY more guys out during what used to be the deer only first week. And most of them are elk hunters and clueless fucking elk hunters at that.

ATV's are another problem. If they were used according to existing laws and regulations, they would not be any problem. But it seems like an awful lot of those guys don't pay any attention to the rules and I'm just sick and fucking tired of them riding around where they ain't supposed to be. I mean, SICK AND FUCKING TIRED of them.

I've owned and used ATV's for as long as they have existed. I still own one. I'm a strong proponent of multiple use concepts and motorized access and recreation.

But I'm to the point with ATV assholes during hunting season that I would support a complete, 100% statewide ban on them during big game seasons. I'm that sick of them...

Then, too, and this is a big one... I've been hunting the same area for the last 20 years now. Other side of the mountain from where Koko just mentioned, in the La Sals. The area has just gone to hell in recent years. My camp area, all my honey holes, all the quakies for miles around have been cut down. Lots of other places on the mountain with timber all gone now too. And it's gotten just too popular with people in general, not just bowhunters. The last few years, it has just been crawling with people during the bowhunt.

I've really lost interest in hunting there anymore. It simply doesn't even resemble the place I used to love. But with the way you have to pick your spot about 7 months in advance and try to draw for it, just picking up and moving to a new hunting area isn't near as simple as it once was. And I'm not at all sure where else to go anyway. All the decent places are "premium limited entry". Which, for all practical purposes, are once in a lifetime hunts. I drew out one of those tags for the rifle hunt a couple of years ago, so I have no points built up. It will probably be at least 15 years before I draw another one. I'll be 65 by then...

And, lastly... My kids school schedule changed a couple of years ago. I used to take the family with me for at least the first few days of the hunt, then they'd head home and I'd stay another week or whatever by myself. But first day of school has been either the week before the opener, or the Monday following and it just has not been practical to take them with anymore.

So... After last year, and a week of wishing the trees hadn't been cut down and getting closer and closer every day to murdering a whole family of ATV fuckwads, I just decided to HELL with it. I'm done. It's been a good run. But at least until my youngest is old enough to tell me she's not interested in family vacations anymore, I'm taking the time off and the money spent and doing something other than the bowhunt every summer. This year it was Yellowstone NP and we had a great time. I'm thinking we'll do Glacier and/or Banff next summer.

- DAA

--------------------

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 03:40 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Understood.....man, that sucks. Basically, you just described California lol.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 03:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Reasons are multiple and the decision was a sad one, but, it is what it is.
I KNEW IMMEDIATELY WHAT HE MEANT !

HE DIDN'T NEED NINE PARAGRAPHS FOR ME TO GET THE MESSAGE.

AND, YEAH. DESCRIBES KALIFORNIA.

This is why so many have become fed up with the bureaucracy involved with all fish and game departments, and why many people have drifted towards coyotes....which is another topic we could discuss. Or not.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS I would bet I have not purchased a CA hunting license maybe 3 times in the last ten years.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31324 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Duckdog
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3842

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 04:45 PM      Profile for Duckdog           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you not have to have a license to hunt coyotes in Cali, or do you just hunt elsewhere?

Hey Dave, were you trying to sell those shafts at one time, or am I not remembering right? Seems like I remember a story involved too...Could you refresh my memory?

Posts: 205 | From: Ks | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 04:53 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, a bad state of affairs here for sure. LB you are correct about drifting over to coyotes,
wanting something to hunt whenever I wanted is what drew me to them many years ago.

CA is, last I heard, considering putting a season on coyotes and selling tags. What a joke, it is popular so they want to make money from it. It seems non workable to me?

Can't wait to shoot me a grizzly bear!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2014 11:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No, there is a presumption that if you are in the field, ipso facto, you need a hunting license, in The People's Republik. You can't say, "hey, I was plinking." Nope, you need a hunting license.

But, to answer the question. I hardly ever hunt coyotes in this state, and when I buy a license, it's to hunt something else, birds or hogs, whatever? There are no restrictions, coyotes are non game. Presently.

Here's the thing. While Kelly can step out after work and kill a half a dozen coyotes before dark; for me, it's always a road trip, at least a weekend, at least 200/300 miles. Pretty much always been that way. By choice.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31324 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2014 03:45 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on DAA's ATV rant. Ban the damn things.

El Bee;
Check (and double check) this in the Regs, but I once told a jerk warden in Calif. that I was hunting rattlesnakes during a snowstorm. No license required / limit one a day, two in possession. It's in the Amphibian Regs. (Or at least it used to be. Needless to say, he was NOT amused.
> I normally welcome talking with Wardens and see them as a valuable source of information in the field but this one was a special case.

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2014 04:27 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang it Dave, that does sound like a load of poop to deal with. I don't blame ya...

One trip my mom took us on as kids was in 1986. Went to the World's Fair in Vancouver for three days, then back to the mainland and climbed aboard the VIA rail for an overnight trip thru the Canadian Rockies to Jasper. I stayed awake half the night, taking in the majestic mountains from the observation car.
And then on to Banff, I recall we did a horseback ride around the Banff Springs Hotel property. I was only a little turd at the time, but could still appreciate the wondrous beauty encountered on that trip. The incredible color of Maligne Lake, spotting mt. goats up high on the rocky ledges, huge muley bucks in velvet, and even seen a grizzly bear on the side of the highway! We also did a tour of the Athabasca Glacier, riding in a souped up Monster truck tour bus! Fuckin' cool shit for a 12yr old kid.

I carried my telescoping rod and little Penn spinner for two weeks straight, and finally had a chance to use it in a little stream outside of Lake Louise. We were at a train station, waiting for our ride back south, and there was a stream running not too far away from the rural station. Was able to sneak away to finally make a few casts , and dadgum it, if I didn't hook up on the 3rd cast!
Was a big rainbow trout, nailed little Mepps Aglia! That fish made carrying that spinning combo around sooooo worth it. The VIA train showed up not long after, and catching trout was icing on the cake of a super journey!
Found out later, that train station was a location for filming the movie, Doctor Zhivago...

In short, DO IT!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters