The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » 6 mm for fur

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 6 mm for fur
Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2014 11:09 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys I am looking for a heavy bullet for fur. Have one area I hunt were the range can get long and wind blows.Say a 600 yrd limit. For summer work I have been using a Berger 105 HYBRID and while the bullet shoots great in my rifle its not a fur bullet, mainly softball sized exits. What else is out there that would work? Rifle has an 1-8 twist barrel so 105-107 is heaviest bullet I can shoot. Have considered Barnes 105 match Burner bullet.

Brent

Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2014 11:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with the responses. What 6mm are you talking about and what velocity, what twist? I have a 243AI that shoots the 105Berger hybrid. 8 1/2" twist. Have not killed a coyote with it, yet.

Wild ass guess, a 95 Nosler partion might exit without expanding a lot. I use a 243W with a standard twist on coyotes. My current loads are 70 grain NoslerBT, (extreme damage) and the 74gr. Berger target HP which is a decent fur bullet, don't remember the velocity right now....average?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2014 01:54 PM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
Its a 6XC 26" barrel. Velocity with the 105 Berger are at 2950. I have used the Barnes 80 TTSX with good luck fur wise in a .243 but was hoping someone had used something heavier that has a better BC and was decent on fur. Had thought about the 95 NBT heard it was decent. We shall see.

DEL GUE
SECOND PLACE: Mad Bomber lookalike contest
Member # 1526

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2014 06:24 PM      Profile for DEL GUE   Email DEL GUE         Edit/Delete Post 
How ya doin', Brent. Last time I saw you I was in Az getting a dog from J-H. You doin' ok, amigo?

--------------------
"I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart." - Bear Claw

Posts: 588 | From: FL | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2014 03:35 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Brent, I shot a small handful of coyotes with the 115DTACS from a .243. Exits were not bad at all, as I recall. Maybe quarter sized? Also, shot some woodchucks with them and they hardly seem to expand on them. Kinda disappointed at how little carnage the DTACs allowed. Remember one in particular even crawled off a short distance, while I watched in disbelief. Perfect pencil thru at over 400 yds...

Seeing as how the DTAC is basically a re-branded Sierra Matchking, maybe load up a couple 107SMKs to try?

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2014 09:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
....yeah, if you can deal with the ballistics? Gonna be serious drop at 600.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2014 06:32 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info on the 115. I don't think they will work with my twist. But will look at the 107 sierras. Talked to Barnes and they said the 105 match burners would make a decent fur bullet.

Leonard the drop doesn't bother me. At that distance the coyotes aren't normally moving about much. Normally looking. I have a good rangefinder and can either hold over or dial for the range. More concerned about wind and the heavier bullet with a better bc helps.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2014 07:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I hear ya Brent.

But, as you know, there are a couple theories on that. Velocity and lighter bullets allow you to hold on fur if you have enough capacity.

As I have said numerous times, I have a comfort zone out to about 430 yards, even with my 25'06Ackley. I hate chasing a cripple way out there. Not dissing anybody what they do but that's my bag.

One thing for sure, wind needs consideration; again, there are different ways of dealing with wind. Hell, for the most part, I just guestimate and let it fly. Especially on multiples when that second one is outbound.

But, I would like to drill one with a 105Berger, just to see what kind of performance.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2014 11:12 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand your postion, my capacity is already set, its a 6XC and similar in speed to a .243 perhaps alittle slower.
I use the dogs for issues of chasing when needed.
From what I have seen with the 105 Berger Hybrid a small exit will be the size of a ping pong ball and most between a baseball-softball size exit. They don't go far.

Alot of times farther out with a suppressor the second one doesn't run off that far. Shot a pair a couple of weeks ago the female at 475 and dropped, male ran off to 525 and stopped and looked and killed him. Dogs add to the confusion.
Brent

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2014 03:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I hear ya on that. Coyotes get really stupid around dogs. It's like humans don't even exist.

A suppressor is something I am convinced I don't need, in spite of all the testimonials.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS talk to Vic about hunting with JH's dogs!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Brent Parker
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2014 06:07 PM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
I've hunted with JH and his dogs. I kept Mickey for about a year and a half or so. Still miss that old girl.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters