The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Time for Lakes, Ponds, and The Missouri River...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Time for Lakes, Ponds, and The Missouri River...
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2014 07:53 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Well the fun's over for a little while anyway. The creek has begun to flood. Last night my pard and I went out and the fishing was tough. The water was up about 2 feet and it's getting pretty muddy. Every fish we caught was hard earned. We didn't catch any big fish like we usually do. Frankly, given the conditions, we were happy to catch any fish. My partner had a an old vintage rod from the 50's that he recently attained. The rod was made by Wright and McGill (now known as Eagle Claw). It had never been used so he wanted to try and catch something with it. We didn't expect it to be so difficult but he did finally land this fish. That old rod was really whippy and he had a hard time setting the hook with it, and having the fish stay on. He lost 3 or 4 before landing this fish, but at least he accomplished his goal. It would probably make an awesome crappie rod though.
 -

My partner had hooked and lost two or three fish before I even got my first strike. I was also using a new ultralight set up that I wanted to get broke in a little better. It's a St. Croix 6'6" UL Fast, with a Quantum Smoke 10 reel. I have it spooled with 4 lbs PLine Fluorocarbon. Normally I wouldn't even bother to take a photo of a fish this small, but I was happy to catch anything yesterday and it was fun using this little light weight set up.
 -

Next up was a little better fish than the one pictured above. Still he was only about 13-14". They sure do feel bigger though using a UL rod with the drag set really light. The good news is that I didn't break off a single fish yesterday. I'd had this rod out once before and lost two big fish with it when the knot broke. I took some time researching on the net, and found a better knot or two. I carefully tied them this time. It seemed to work out well. I hate losing fish due to equipment or knot failure.
 -

Last but not least was the best fish I caught yesterday. It also turned out to be the last fish of the day for me. This fish is about what the average size is on this creek under normal conditions. I've had day's, fairly recently, where I've caught 3 dozen this size and up in a matter of a couple hours. Yesterday certainly wasn't one of those days though. So now it's time to switch to fishing lakes, ponds, and the Missouri River until all the local creeks subside from high-water flood stage. So here's to wishing y'all tine lines.
 -

Parting Shot:
Here's a photo my partner took with his cell phone shortly before we called it quits for the evening.
 -

[ April 11, 2014, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: ursus21 ]

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2014 08:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Great photos!

Looks like that creek is running right next to a major highway?

I got into edit and tried to figure out that last shot, but no luck?

One thing for sure, rod technology has come a long ways since the 50's.

That creek might not be as picturesque as the East Walker, (for instance) but it appears to hold a lot more fish?

If those guys driving by up on the road KNEW your little secret, a lot of them would be joining you!

Thanks for sharing. El Bee

edit: I see what was going on; we were both looking at it at the same time, you beat me to it. lol

[ April 11, 2014, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31416 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2014 08:29 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, no it doesn't run next to any major highways. There is an old kind of a back roads highway about a 1/4 mile from where these photos were taken. The stuff you see in the back ground are just some out buildings and sheds on a guy's farm. This creek traverses through several major terrain changes. It starts high in the mountains and works its way down the foothills, and then ultimately through prairie country. These photos are in the prairie section. On Monday I fished in the foothills (our foothills are 4000 feet). The fishing was slow, but the fish were pretty decent sized. Here are a couple pic's from that little trip. I wish I would of had someone with me so I could have included some of the back ground as it's quite different from the prairie area.
 -

-

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters