The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Predator Extreme, the mag.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Predator Extreme, the mag.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2014 10:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I get this magazine sent to me, don't subscribe.

It seems that every issue, they are really scraping the barrel for authors and topics.

The latest to drive me nuts is a "survey" about time on stand, how many sounds to play, and several other categories.

Drawing on advice submitted by unknown respondents is kind of stupid, if you ask me? The number one best time to hunt predators was between midnight and 1 A.M. if I recall correctly? Oh, and the best amount of time to spend on stand was 30 minutes. And, intermittent is far better than continuous calling.

I'm telling you, this information is highly questionable, and not very useful.

Anybody happen to read this shit?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2014 11:21 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I find the monthly column pertaining to air rifles, the most interesting read between the covers.
Posts: 1630 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2014 11:28 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Crap-iest mag out there. I have been getting it for a few years for some reason, never subscribed.

I could do without it, thats for sure.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2014 02:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Next article I read while multitasking in "the library".

The 204 is an 800 yard cartridge!

Me so stupid!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

KaBloomR
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4252

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2014 03:07 PM      Profile for KaBloomR           Edit/Delete Post 
I received a free subscription from an order I placed at some predator supply store a couple of years ago. My favorite articles are the firearm tests. Its amazing how EVERY single one of them run through it's paces are the most accurate, best handling, best suited to predator hunting, best thing since sliced bread rifle on the planet.....

--------------------
"It always gets a helluva lot worse before it gets any better"

Posts: 302 | From: Utah | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2014 04:17 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Buy something from All Predators, get the mag free. Nice marketing touch, but the mag sucks. Predator Masters in publication.

ETA: None of the people they publish have killed as many coyotes as Tony Tebbe. [Smile]

[ April 09, 2014, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: jimanaz ]

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2014 04:22 PM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Just wait till ya read my upcoming article on fast twist wildcats for worry free coyote killing. It's a real dandy, titled: "So easy, a caveman can do it!!!"
Juuuuuuuuuuusssssssst kidding!!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2014 05:47 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I paid for a subscription for one year. It got old real quick. I use to also subscribe to Varmint Hunter magazine. It got old even quicker. I got sick and tired of articles about custom guns with 12 lb barrels. It seemed like every gun was a custom heavy barreled POS. Who would want to carry these rifles. Surely not me with my bad back. About six months after my subscription ran out Varmint Hunter sent me a free magazine and on the cover wrapper it said we thought you should see what you have been missing. In side of it they had an article about these prairie doggers who actually had water cooled barrels. WTF: this is the reason why I hated this magazine. Too many articles about guns that have very limited application in the field.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1926 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted April 10, 2014 06:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
But, I have driven past where Varmint Hunter is located. The orientation is prairie dogs and killing 500/700 a day requires a five gun battery or....a barrel of water to cool the barrel of a single rifle.

Different strokes. But, Varmint Hunter is a classy publication, damned near coffee table material. And, the ads are noteworthy reference.

The first thing that offends my sensibilities is the use of the word EXTREME. I hate it applied to anything but worst of all would be a magazine called Predator Extreme. Man, they sure missed the boat on that one, as far as I am concerned.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2014 08:11 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Varmint Hunter, but yeah, it is first and foremost a prarie dog shooting mag. I started getting it back in the early 90's I think, when there were 0 coyote hunting articles. It was interesting to see coyote calling/hunting start to appear in it, but none of the writers really had a clue. The exception was Major Boddiker who writes for them once in a while.

I always got a chuckle when I would read an article where guys would take thier 5000 dollar heavy barreled prarie dog rifles coyote hunting, and finally concluded that there was to much moving around from stand to stand, lugging those rifles was not fun. Thus, the invention of the "walking varminter" rifle, otherwise known as a regular sporter weight rifle lol.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2014 08:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I remember standing in a line somewhere, for food, I think? And, right behind me was Major Boddiker! Quite a treat!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rick Howard
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4481

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2014 04:09 PM      Profile for Rick Howard   Email Rick Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I receive the questioned magazine. Also becuase i placed an order with a supply store. I read it while on the crapper.

I hate the "extreme" concept also. I can't stand the industry direction toward suburbanites who think they are preparing for battle with wildlife.

Im not a fan of any commerial stuff really. I cant stomach the vast majority of outdoor Television. I like 50 state concept of fur takers. For the most part I can not watch the idiot box so I don't catch many episodes. I have it set to DVR it now though as I would like the catch the tribute to Mr. Cronk.

Without digressing too far. Often the same topics appear time and again in the magazine. They have different titles but are the same content. I suppose there really is not many subjects to cover in any on topic magazine. Anyone ever read golf digest? Sometimes those guys contradict themselves from one month to the next. Digressing again I'm sorry.

I am pretty low on the totem pole here but, I thought the survey article was different and interesting. The author questioned why people stay on stand for 30 min after they just said most predators showed up within 5-10 min of calling.

Posts: 12 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2014 04:15 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I met Major in Rawlins, long time ago. Neat guy. Nothing pompous or phony about him. Get him to talking and the evening's entertainment is set. Worth listening to, too.

[Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2014 04:50 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm too on the free list, and while a guy can't complain about something free, I'd sure never pay for the mag. And yeah, the survey was kinda laughable.

That rag has at times over the years started to gain some traction and then they nosedive again. Don't forget Cal had a coyote dog article for awhile that was worth reading even though I'm not a dog using guy.

But mostly it is a 10-15 minute read. Tops. Cooney who is now relegated to the back page, is sometimes pretty decent.

The Tom Asten articles are pretty much unreadable for me. They usually go something like this: "As I left my TOYOTA TACOMA decked out in REALTREE CAMO in the predawn darkness, I slipped my TC ENCORE in .223 scoped with an EOTECH optic over my shoulder and a pocketful of HORNADY ammo in my WALMART Gore-tex coat. The TASCO binoculars and BRAND X caller were in my FIELDLINE pack, along with a 6-pack of COORS frost brewed beer and a pack of CAMEL straights...

I can't ever read more than a paragraph or two of that guy's written commercials.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2014 04:56 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot to add, I HATE the EXTREME thing.... Everything from Doritos to chewing gum all seem to need "extreme" added to the name nowadays.

And do they have to have a snarling coyote on every cover? And if it's not as snarling coyote it is a bobcat, lion, wolf, whatever.

Just a classy coyote pic doing what coyotes do is more than acceptable for me.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2014 06:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Lonny pretty well nailed it, as far as I'm concerned.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2014 03:23 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
You actually spend the 5 minutes on the crapper reading that rag? I got an issue of that when they started up and that was enough. Same dribble over and over. And I learned that I have been doing it all wrong for over 50 years. Who would have imagined that.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 640 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2014 03:07 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just a classy coyote pic doing what coyotes do is more than acceptable for me.
If they wanted to use one of mine for the cover (paid), I'd be good with that. [Big Grin]

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2014 03:55 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yours need to be on Varmint Hunter.they always have good cover pics.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2014 05:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
^ what he said!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Okanagan
Budding Spin Doctor
Member # 870

Icon 10 posted April 17, 2014 11:19 AM      Profile for Okanagan           Edit/Delete Post 
Your descriptions of the extreme magazine make me glad that I have never seen a copy. Leonard, ditto your comments on "Extreme."

I glanced through one predator hunting magazine several years ago. Except for some annoying drivel it was a yawn.

Except for internet contacts in the past several years I have hunted and called coyotes and many other predators since 1960 without ever knowing another dedicated caller till recently.

The soap operas reflected on the internet and your comments on the magazines reminds me that there is some value in my isolation. [Smile]

Posts: 269 | From: 49th Parrallel | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters